Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Oakville/Mississauga area?

Anyone in Oakville/Mississauga area?

Old Jan 27th 2005, 9:53 pm
Essex hopefuls

4 of a kind is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Anyone in Oakville/Mississauga area?

Hi, husband is staying in Mississauga at the moment to trial a job offer, but with the weather as it is, things have been somewhat delayed.

We are hoping to come out and make the leap to stay in the Summer and really like Oakville, any suggestions on things we should be aware of, things to check out while he has some free time in the area??

Your suggestions are gratefully received.... does anyone know if theres a gun club in the area? He's an avid clay pigeon shooter at home, and it would be good if he could perhaps meet some people connected with that kind of thing.

Thanks, from concerned wife!
Old Jan 28th 2005, 12:49 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone in Oakville/Mississauga area?

Originally Posted by 4 of a kind
Hi, husband is staying in Mississauga at the moment to trial a job offer, but with the weather as it is, things have been somewhat delayed.

We are hoping to come out and make the leap to stay in the Summer and really like Oakville, any suggestions on things we should be aware of, things to check out while he has some free time in the area??

Your suggestions are gratefully received.... does anyone know if theres a gun club in the area? He's an avid clay pigeon shooter at home, and it would be good if he could perhaps meet some people connected with that kind of thing.

Thanks, from concerned wife!
I'm moving to Oakville at the beginning of March when my house purchase completes. I'll probably be in a better position to offer some insights after then.

One thing I would say for now, is that property in Oakville is a lot more expensive than in other GTA areas nearby, but it makes up for inflated prices by offering a great downtown area, good walks and a faster Go service into downtown Toronto.

HTH for now

Sarah
Old Jan 28th 2005, 3:41 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Don't live there or shoot but a quick yahoo found

http://www.ontarioskeet.com/

http://www.gagnonsports.com/OSGC/index.htm has some links

The link on here appears to have been highjacked to me but for you, who knows. There is plenty of other useful information.
http://www.oakville.com/sports.asp
Old Apr 23rd 2005, 12:39 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I've only just joined up to this forum. I lived in Oakville for four years until last Summer before moving to Quebec. I know lots of useful people there. I'm more than happy to provide any help/tips I can.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 1:21 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

I've been in Oakville a little bit over the last week or so because we are opening a new store there at work (http://www.wholefoods.com/stores/oakville) and I quite like Oakville although it is very much a GTA suburban town and stands in stark contrast to the city it's self, as do most of the Toronto suburbs. I took the train down there as I don't currently have a car and it's an easy commute by train, only 30 mins to Union Station. However, excluding the "downtown" type area along lakeshore, you know you are in suburbia when you try and walk anywhere. We walked around where we were to get some lunch and we saw maybe one other pedestrian and everywhere is well spaced out because 99% of the people in the suburbs drive everywhere. No big deal really but it is something I noticed when we lived in Newmarket which is about an hour north of Toronto. The urban sprawl is really something to behold. It can take 20 minutes to walk between store in the same plaza they are so spread out.

That aside the town it's self is very nice, especially as you get closer to the lake. There is the 'old Oakville' which is down by the lake and made up of million dollar homes and is a very popular affluent area outside the city, then you have lots of subdivisions as you move out from that centre. The same as in many of the suburban and commuter towns in the GTA. They are constantly expanding with new residential areas until I am sure one day they will all run into each other. So the cheaper and newer homes will be more of the brick looking "cookie cutter" houses gradually working towards the more expensive and unique houses in the prime areas near the lake.

I'd take a look at traffic too if you are planning on living in Oakville and commuting by car to anywhere east whether it is right into Toronto or just into Mississauga in the west end. The traffic along the Gardner and then the QEW going along with commuter directions (i.e. east in the morning and west in the evening) is a nightmare. I got a ride from our downtown location in Yorkville out to our new Oakville site from someone a few weeks ago and we left the downtown area at about 3:30pm and the gardner was already stationary. Coming back from Oakville to downtown Toronto on Thursday at about 4pm was fine for us going east but the QEW and Gardner were just a traffic jam going back to Oakville. It's like the 401 during rush hour, worlds biggest parking lot. However the GO Train is what we usually take to go out there and it's way easier. You see all the gridlocked traffic as you zoom along in the train.

Drew
Old Apr 26th 2005, 6:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wizzard
I've been in Oakville a little bit over the last week or so because we are opening a new store there at work (http://www.wholefoods.com/stores/oakville) and I quite like Oakville although it is very much a GTA suburban town and stands in stark contrast to the city it's self, as do most of the Toronto suburbs. I took the train down there as I don't currently have a car and it's an easy commute by train, only 30 mins to Union Station. However, excluding the "downtown" type area along lakeshore, you know you are in suburbia when you try and walk anywhere. We walked around where we were to get some lunch and we saw maybe one other pedestrian and everywhere is well spaced out because 99% of the people in the suburbs drive everywhere. No big deal really but it is something I noticed when we lived in Newmarket which is about an hour north of Toronto. The urban sprawl is really something to behold. It can take 20 minutes to walk between store in the same plaza they are so spread out.

That aside the town it's self is very nice, especially as you get closer to the lake. There is the 'old Oakville' which is down by the lake and made up of million dollar homes and is a very popular affluent area outside the city, then you have lots of subdivisions as you move out from that centre. The same as in many of the suburban and commuter towns in the GTA. They are constantly expanding with new residential areas until I am sure one day they will all run into each other. So the cheaper and newer homes will be more of the brick looking "cookie cutter" houses gradually working towards the more expensive and unique houses in the prime areas near the lake.

I'd take a look at traffic too if you are planning on living in Oakville and commuting by car to anywhere east whether it is right into Toronto or just into Mississauga in the west end. The traffic along the Gardner and then the QEW going along with commuter directions (i.e. east in the morning and west in the evening) is a nightmare. I got a ride from our downtown location in Yorkville out to our new Oakville site from someone a few weeks ago and we left the downtown area at about 3:30pm and the gardner was already stationary. Coming back from Oakville to downtown Toronto on Thursday at about 4pm was fine for us going east but the QEW and Gardner were just a traffic jam going back to Oakville. It's like the 401 during rush hour, worlds biggest parking lot. However the GO Train is what we usually take to go out there and it's way easier. You see all the gridlocked traffic as you zoom along in the train.

Drew
I drive almost to Oakville, actually to Mississauga Road, from downtown Toronto every second Friday evening. I then turn around and come back to Toronto. If I leave at five I get back between eight and nine o'clock. So, on good days, I average 11mph. The traffic is no better coming into town than going out but, at least, coming back to town the sun isn't in my eyes.