Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Job search from the UK

Job search from the UK

Old Jul 11th 2018, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

dts737 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job search from the UK

Has anyone got any experience of applying for jobs before leaving the UK? Particularly with regards to what they put for contact details on their resume/cover letters... I already know where we are intending to live (with family) but obviously don't have a Canada cell phone number.

I have confirmation of PR so shouldn't have any immigration issues.

Last edited by dts737; Jul 11th 2018 at 10:27 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2018, 1:20 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job search from the UK

Hello and welcome to BE!

I'd suggest having a read of the wiki on job hunting - in a nutshell, it's not going to be easy... and unless you are in an exceptional position that few in Canada are able to match, unlikely. If you have PR then that's one stumbling block out of the way, so that's good!

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...Hunting-Canada
Old Jul 12th 2018, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
in a nutshell, it's not going to be easy...

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...Hunting-Canada
Wholly agree - As a recruiter in Canada (Ontario) we will not even talk / respond to anyone not ready to start work "next week"
We are not looking for exceptional, highly qualified personnel though.

What is you chosen profession in Canada? Do you have Canadian Experience? (Hahaha - They will ask)
Do you have the required provincial license to carry out the chosen work? (everything needs a license - even cutting hair).

Let go with a few more details, location, qualifications, experience, career path and maybe there will be a few more response from those that know - Best of Luck
Old Jul 13th 2018, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

UKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond reputeUKexpat82 has a reputation beyond repute

I am in the same boat. Have my confirmation of PR but would prefer to have a job offer before completing the move. Perhaps it is possible to get a canadian cell on a pay and go contract when doing the soft land?
Old Jul 13th 2018, 7:45 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UKexpat82
I am in the same boat. Have my confirmation of PR but would prefer to have a job offer before completing the move. Perhaps it is possible to get a canadian cell on a pay and go contract when doing the soft land?
Be prepared for potentially hefty fees and charges for international roaming if you are planning on receiving calls in the UK from Canada! You'll likely need to sign up to a plan in order to get them too - I don't know if they are available on a pay as you go phone..

https://www.chatrwireless.com/web/content/roaming
https://www.koodomobile.com/easyroam
https://www.freedommobile.ca/network...tional-roaming
https://www.virginmobile.ca/en/suppo...ing-rates.html

Though something like this might work..
https://personal.iroam.com/international-sim-card.aspx

Whilst it may work in theory - when they call you at 10pm UK time - 5pm Ontario time or leave a message and ask you to come in for an interview the next morning, how are you going to get around that?

The absolute best thing to do is to make some contacts - network network network - and try to see if you can get in to see people while you are here - and/or stay longer for your 'soft landing' and turn it into a recce trip, if having a job prior to being here permanently is of importance to you.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 13th 2018 at 7:52 pm.
Old Jul 13th 2018, 7:56 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by J-A-UK
Wholly agree - As a recruiter in Canada (Ontario) we will not even talk / respond to anyone not ready to start work "next week"
We are not looking for exceptional, highly qualified personnel though.

What is you chosen profession in Canada? Do you have Canadian Experience? (Hahaha - They will ask)
Do you have the required provincial license to carry out the chosen work? (everything needs a license - even cutting hair).

Let go with a few more details, location, qualifications, experience, career path and maybe there will be a few more response from those that know - Best of Luck
+1!

Even bar tending requires certification .. as does working in the food industry - the posters should indeed check to see if they require Provincial certification or licensing!

And yes.. if they would care to post about the type of work they do, what they are looking for - and preferred Province - I'm sure there'll be a few people that can guide them into the right direction.