Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone living or emigrating to Arnprior or Kanata area?

Anyone living or emigrating to Arnprior or Kanata area?

Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Location: originally from Portchester, Nr Fareham UK now Braeside, nr Arnprior, Ontario and loving it!
Martian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant future
Default Anyone living or emigrating to Arnprior or Kanata area?

Hi

My family and myself are moving to Canada in March/April this year to the Arnprior area, is anyone already living or hoping to live in this area of Canada?
I have an uncle who lives in Kanata who we may stay with when we first arrive.

We are very excited about our move and would love to chat with others who are already there or are going through the process.

Thanks
Old Jan 13th 2010, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice
Default Re: Anyone living or emigrating to Arnprior or Kanata area?

Originally Posted by Martian75
Hi

My family and myself are moving to Canada in March/April this year to the Arnprior area, is anyone already living or hoping to live in this area of Canada?

We are very excited about our move and would love to chat with others who are already there or are going through the process.

Thanks
I live west of Kanata, but only by 10 min, Arnprior is a further west but about another 40min. Quite a few people in my office including my boss live out there.
From what I know, its cheap and quiet and apparently they talk a little funny . Where are you intending to work? Kanata or downtown Ottawa. People do the drive but personally I would not fancy the downtown option.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Grendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really niceGrendel is just really nice

We live near Carleton Place, about 40min from Kanata and Arnprior. Both are nice places to settle in. Kanata seems to be split between houses and hi-tech firms, while Arnprior is a quiet place at the end of the 417 highway.

Arnprior would be a fairly long trip if you worked downturn, but Kanata is pretty convenient.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer, if I can.
Old Jan 13th 2010, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by XCMTBer
I live west of Kanata, but only by 10 min, Arnprior is a further west but about another 40min. Quite a few people in my office including my boss live out there.
From what I know, its cheap and quiet and apparently they talk a little funny . Where are you intending to work? Kanata or downtown Ottawa. People do the drive but personally I would not fancy the downtown option.
XCMTBer

We lived outside Pembroke and the locals had an Ottawa Valley accent which sounded to me a mixture of Irish/Canadian. My youngest son (then aged 9) used to say he could speak three languages: English, French and "Vallee".

To original poster:

I would recommend Kanata or one of nearby villages. Highway 17 is not the best road especially in winter for commuting.
We used to visit the Swan and Cheshire Cat pubs in Carp.

You also need to settle where their more more jobs opportunities, some of the Ottawa Valley towns have limited employment and businesses are very much controlled by the original 1900 century settler families. It not uncommon when you first arrive in Canada to start on a low paid job and having to changes jobs a few times to get back up the career ladder.

I hope you enjoy your moved.

hudd
Old Jan 13th 2010, 9:36 pm
Job Hunting in Ottawa

sheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of lightsheadboy is a glorious beacon of light

I live just down the road from Kanata in Richmond.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 3:42 pm
kck
Forum Regular

kck is just really nicekck is just really nicekck is just really nicekck is just really nicekck is just really nicekck is just really nicekck is just really nicekck is just really nice

Hi,
Husband & I arrived last summer.
Live in the small town of Stittsville, daughter lives in Kanata, about 10mins. drive away.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

Location: originally from Portchester, Nr Fareham UK now Braeside, nr Arnprior, Ontario and loving it!
Martian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant futureMartian75 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by XCMTBer
Hi

My husband has a job in Arnprior which is why we are hoping to live there. We visited the area in the summer and really liked it, my uncle is in Kanata so we stayed there and liked that area too.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grendel
We live near Carleton Place, about 40min from Kanata and Arnprior. Both are nice places to settle in. Kanata seems to be split between houses and hi-tech firms, while Arnprior is a quiet place at the end of the 417 highway.

Arnprior would be a fairly long trip if you worked downturn, but Kanata is pretty convenient.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer, if I can.
Hi, thank you I'm sure I will have many. We are really excited about emigrating but am also aprehensive about leaving friends and family so its great to talk to others who have done or are going through the same as us.
Whats life been like for you since your move?
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by huddm
XCMTBer

We lived outside Pembroke and the locals had an Ottawa Valley accent which sounded to me a mixture of Irish/Canadian. My youngest son (then aged 9) used to say he could speak three languages: English, French and "Vallee".

To original poster:

I would recommend Kanata or one of nearby villages. Highway 17 is not the best road especially in winter for commuting.
We used to visit the Swan and Cheshire Cat pubs in Carp.

You also need to settle where their more more jobs opportunities, some of the Ottawa Valley towns have limited employment and businesses are very much controlled by the original 1900 century settler families. It not uncommon when you first arrive in Canada to start on a low paid job and having to changes jobs a few times to get back up the career ladder.

I hope you enjoy your moved.

hudd
Hi

The job is settled before we arrive and its in Arnprior so we want to settle there. My husband commutes for 3hrs everyday in UK so we wanted to make sure that we lived close to his work in Canada
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sheadboy
I live just down the road from Kanata in Richmond.
Hi

How are you finding life in Canada? Its really lovely to be able to chat with people understanding the process we are going through and even better to chat with people who are living near the area we are going to.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kck
Hi,
Husband & I arrived last summer.
Live in the small town of Stittsville, daughter lives in Kanata, about 10mins. drive away.
We drove through stittsville on our trip in the summer and I really liked it.
So hows life for you since your move?
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

We drove through stittsville on our trip in the summer and I really liked it.
So hows life for you since your move?
Kanata is a good place. I used to work close to there. Life's been great ever since we moved here. We are enjoying every single day. We bought a house and we both got better jobs than in England. Life is almost stress free.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Swirls is an unknown quantity at this point

I am so glad to find this thread as this is exactly the area we are looking to move to I'm just posting here so I can find it again!
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 2:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
Also a possability we may move to Kanata or Stitsville OH is IT and looked at companies there, we were there on our last visit drove all around that area, mind that was 3 years ago tomorrow is it really that long ago

Other choice would be NS or Ottawa ? don't know when that will be mind as we are still trying to sell the house oh yes and a small thing like PR
Old Apr 6th 2010, 12:19 pm
kck
Forum Regular

kck is just really nicekck is just really nicekck is just really nicekck is just really nicekck is just really nicekck is just really nicekck is just really nicekck is just really nice

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Also a possability we may move to Kanata or Stitsville OH is IT and looked at companies there, we were there on our last visit drove all around that area, mind that was 3 years ago tomorrow is it really that long ago

Other choice would be NS or Ottawa ? don't know when that will be mind as we are still trying to sell the house oh yes and a small thing like PR
Hi, sorry I did not get back sooner but have been away.
We landed in Canada last year & are living in Stittsville, our daughter & family live in Kanata. Have been coming to kanata for the 13 years that our family have been here. Any help we can give please let us know.
We waited three years five months to get in, so hang in there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.