Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone on Koodo Prepaid? And can I get a monthly plan with no credit history anyway?

Wikiposts

Anyone on Koodo Prepaid? And can I get a monthly plan with no credit history anyway?

Old Sep 9th 2014, 8:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone on Koodo Prepaid? And can I get a monthly plan with no credit history anyw

Originally Posted by prairiechicken
Great. I still haven't got a phone organised but have dithered around with this. Was talking to a store that does Koodo prepaid today and got really annoyed - the sales guy knew less about how it works than I did, and spent his whole time trying to convince me to buy a pay monthly plan.
Was it a Koodo shop/booth or a third-party shop? If the latter, that's Canada for you.

SchookoLoly I think have decided that at least in the first instance we go with what you do - the basic base plan plus minutes and data added on via boosters, buying the biggest add ons. Will also look out for the double promotion too, that's well worth knowing.

I think we're going to connect his phone to start with, and manage with one for now.

I will also check out the Google Play shop (didn't know about that). Although I am wondering whether with the release of iPhone 6, iPhone 5 will get cheaper?
- Just in case it wasn't implied, Google Play shop is online. No actual brick and mortar stores - they sell nexus phones and the Google Play editions of some android phones. (GPE is basically the phone but with vanilla android rather than the respective company's flavour of it)

With the iPhone 6 coming out (pre orders start 12 September, general release 19 September) they'll probably offer the 5s at about $500 off contract and the 5c at about $400 off contract. The plain 5 is no longer sold but the 5c is identical except for the cheesy plastic back.

Question for everyone - since it costs to receive calls in Canada, but texts seem to be unlimited for all plans, whether prepaid or not, do you tend to find that people generally use texts rather than calls to talk to each other? Or do I need to be very selective about who I give my number to ?
I'm 15 so my opinions may be a bit biased, but I almost never call. I hate it when people call me for nefarious reasons that could have been done over text. I have unlimited calls and never use it. I had 300 mins before and that was more than enough.

Calling doesn't "cost" per se, it comes off your minute allotment (or booster in case of Koodo prepaid) , but if you don't have a minute allotment, it does cost something absurd like 30-50c a min
Old Sep 9th 2014, 9:11 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone on Koodo Prepaid? And can I get a monthly plan with no credit history anyw

Nexus 5 comes unlocked. Great for when I go back to the UK and pop in my o2 SIM!

IPhone 5 will come down in price, yes. You should be able to buy it outright unlocked from Apple.

I'd say people mostly text, I only make calls when i need something quick. I haven't worried about giving out my number, and 500 mins lasts about 4 or 5 months.

My husband stayed on prepaid as well but switched to pay monthly after he realized he was topping up all the time, so that ended up being a better deal for him!
Old Sep 9th 2014, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

prairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond reputeprairiechicken has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Was it a Koodo shop/booth or a third-party shop? If the latter, that's Canada for you.

- Just in case it wasn't implied, Google Play shop is online. No actual brick and mortar stores - they sell nexus phones and the Google Play editions of some android phones. (GPE is basically the phone but with vanilla android rather than the respective company's flavour of it)

With the iPhone 6 coming out (pre orders start 12 September, general release 19 September) they'll probably offer the 5s at about $500 off contract and the 5c at about $400 off contract. The plain 5 is no longer sold but the 5c is identical except for the cheesy plastic back.

I'm 15 so my opinions may be a bit biased, but I almost never call. I hate it when people call me for nefarious reasons that could have been done over text. I have unlimited calls and never use it. I had 300 mins before and that was more than enough.

Calling doesn't "cost" per se, it comes off your minute allotment (or booster in case of Koodo prepaid) , but if you don't have a minute allotment, it does cost something absurd like 30-50c a min
It was a third party shop. I am no longer surprised - I have been misinformed at several stores now. I have stopped trusting anything anyone tells me at any of them and will rely on my own smarts.

I realised instantly that the Google Play store was online, but thanks. I only found the Nexus on there though, when I looked.

I'm really only interested in buying an iPhone 5s/c if I buy it direct from Apple, unlocked. Any idea if their prices are likely to come down in the apple store?

I am an unspecified age, but older than you I also hate being called for things that could be done by text. But then I generally prefer not to be interrupted unnecessarily, and to answer people in my own time, so text is a far happier medium for me, a lot of the time.

And as far as I'm concerned, receiving calls does cost. You buy the minutes (either in the form of a monthly plan, or in the form of a booster add on, or whatever, but you're not getting free minutes, especially not in Canada). They cost money to buy, so if you use them up by receiving calls, then receiving calls costs money. Presumably if you don't answer, you don't get charged though?
Old Sep 9th 2014, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Nexus 5 comes unlocked. Great for when I go back to the UK and pop in my o2 SIM!
Great! That's what I thought but figured i'd confirm.

IPhone 5 will come down in price, yes. You should be able to buy it outright unlocked from Apple.
Yep. 5s or 5c though. The 5 has been out of sales since Sept. 2013

I'd say people mostly text, I only make calls when i need something quick. I haven't worried about giving out my number, and 500 mins lasts about 4 or 5 months.
Same here.

Originally Posted by prairiechicken
It was a third party shop. I am no longer surprised - I have been misinformed at several stores now. I have stopped trusting anything anyone tells me at any of them and will rely on my own smarts.
Yep. Good policy to follow with Canadian shops, especially technology related ones, and do watch out for the Internet/TV/home phone providers as they WILL try to rip you off.

I realised instantly that the Google Play store was online, but thanks. I only found the Nexus on there though, when I looked.
OK good , and yeah I think they've stopped selling the HTC One M8 Google Play edition, which as of a couple weeks ago was the only Google Play Edition phone they were selling other than the Nexus 5, which is a Google phone to begin with.
I'm really only interested in buying an iPhone 5s/c if I buy it direct from Apple, unlocked. Any idea if their prices are likely to come down in the apple store?
You will be able to buy from Apple Store, but I can't say on the prices at this exact minute as the news that the 6 is coming out was literally just released today. But given previous years, like I said in my other posts, the 5s will likely be around $500 and the 5c around $400. Both unlocked from the apple store.

I am an unspecified age, but older than you I also hate being called for things that could be done by text. But then I generally prefer not to be interrupted unnecessarily, and to answer people in my own time, so text is a far happier medium for me, a lot of the time.
Yep same here.

And as far as I'm concerned, receiving calls does cost. You buy the minutes (either in the form of a monthly plan, or in the form of a booster add on, or whatever, but you're not getting free minutes, especially not in Canada). They cost money to buy, so if you use them up by receiving calls, then receiving calls costs money. Presumably if you don't answer, you don't get charged though?
That is true I guess... I do love that I can chat on the phone infinitely if the call is received, when I am in Europe. Yes, if you don't answer, it doesn't cost.

Last edited by Gozit; Sep 9th 2014 at 9:20 am.