Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone know a trustworthy building inspector?

Anyone know a trustworthy building inspector?

Old May 19th 2015, 2:41 am
Forum Regular

JuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone know a trustworthy building inspector?

Vancouver or Tri-cities area. Thanks..
Old May 19th 2015, 3:58 am
Forum Regular

Greenstriper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone know a trustworthy building inspector?

We used Kevin Harrison in North Vancouver and he was brilliant. We used him a couple of times a few years back now and he was very trustworthy, straight-talking and he really knew his stuff. Would highly recommend and I see from checking his website, that he covers Vancouver and the tri-cities.

Harrison Home Inspections Ltd. - Home Inspectors Vancouver, Home Inspectors North Vancouver

Good luck !
Old May 19th 2015, 4:03 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

My experiences of home inspectors have found them to be a waste of time and money. I used Pillar to Post and was very unimpressed.
Old May 19th 2015, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

I think they are like any business, good and bad.
The Inspector I had would only do the inspection with me present (don't know if this is usual or not) and we were almost 5 hrs doing it, he checked every inch of the house, very very thorough.
Old May 19th 2015, 5:57 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilg14
The Inspector I had would only do the inspection with me present (don't know if this is usual or not) and we were almost 5 hrs doing it, he checked every inch of the house, very very thorough.
Yeah, the one we had was useful; he didn't just inspect the house and tell us how to fix the (minor) problems he found, he also spent some time explaining to us how some of these weird Canadian things work that we'd never had to deal with before, like the heat-recovery ventilator, and how to maintain them.

Probably saved us more than he cost, just that way.
Old May 19th 2015, 4:11 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

We have used James Dobney in the past. James Dobney Inspections | Residential and Commercial Building Inspections They are one of the bigger companies and generally have a good reputation. They were fine with us. (No financial interest!)

Like most things to do with real estate it seems, superficially, very similar to the UK but there are many differences. This is one of the reasons I always recommend that a newbie uses a local realtor. Experience is something you get just after you need it.

A building inspection here is not the same as a full structural survey in the UK. A good building inspector is value for money. They will test all the services they can, they can point out work they see that needs doing (this can help with re-negotiating the price if the work is substantial or at least mean that you make an informed decision), some will even come up with a costed repair and maintenance plan. But, they report on what they can see and touch. They are not, for example, going to open up a wall to see if the vapour barrier is intact.
Old May 19th 2015, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I would not buy a house now without having a building inspector first.

I think it can be especially important in BC ........... grow ops do tremendous damage to houses, and most of the building inspectors I have heard about are now making a point of examining for signs of a grow op having been in the house.

That is mould, rotting wood, etc that may be hidden from view.

Sellers are supposed by law to tell their realtor and thus future buyers if they knew that there was once a grow op. That may not always happen.

I agree .......... a reputable inspector is well worth the money for the information they can give.
Old May 19th 2015, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

JuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond reputeJuneSpring has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again folks.
Old May 20th 2015, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

ExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond reputeExpatCanadian has a reputation beyond repute

I can add one to the list in Richmond, although that may be outside your area. I think he works everywhere though. Just had an inspection done over the weekend, and boy was he thorough!! 5 1/2 hours, cost me $600 but worth every penny as he found an urgent but easily fixable issue that the seller is now going to put right at an estimated cost of $3500. Anyway, his name is Ron Lyons, and his website is Ron Lyons, B.C. License # 61124. Can't recommend him enough...
Old Jun 9th 2015, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Brit_Mal is an unknown quantity at this point

Homestars.com - Very useful website for procuring home related services!
Old Jun 11th 2015, 1:34 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Has any body used Mike Holmes Inspections.com?