British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Anyone heard from Mississauga (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/anyone-heard-mississauga-350428/)

Daveyboy_The_Red Apr 25th 2006 4:42 pm

Re: Anyone heard from Mississauga

Originally Posted by Island_Girl
Hi DaveyBoy

Is your application in Mississauga? Don't worry it most likely means that your application is on its way to London.

If you had made a mistake they would have left it as Pending and sent the application back to you with a letter requesting more info. I am assuming that your application is a Spousal not skilled worker.
Perhaps Mississauga is finally getting a little faster...

Good Luck
Island Girl :)

you're making me feel better!

yes spousal and its pretty straight forward, only 2 of us houses at both ends already married for a while etc etc but, 5 weeks... thats really quick huh?!

Island_Girl Apr 25th 2006 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Daveyboy_The_Red
you're making me feel better!

yes spousal and its pretty straight forward, only 2 of us houses at both ends already married for a while etc etc but, 5 weeks... thats really quick huh?!

Yes for Mississauga it was fast but I would think that your application must be very straight forward. Hopefully London should be just as fast our application took less than 6 weeks from arrival in London to Visa.

Best of Luck

kellydrew Apr 26th 2006 8:11 pm

Hey all

Had an email from CHC today stating that my visa is being sent out tomorrow :D
Should have it Friday and guess what I'll be doing Friday night? :beer: :beer:
I've had a really good bottle of Bordeaux that I've had for about seven years just waiting for such an occasion. Might even smoke my Montecristo No2 :rolleyes:

Drew

VCox Apr 26th 2006 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by kellydrew
Hey all

I've had a really good bottle of Bordeaux that I've had for about seven years just waiting for such an occasion. Might even smoke my Montecristo No2 :rolleyes:

Drew

Congrats Drew, enjoy your celebrations on Friday night!

V

britishvixen21 Apr 26th 2006 11:27 pm

CONGRATS WAHOOOO just in the nick of time eh!!

enjoy that drink and smoke up :D might see ya at gatwick :p

Mystic Kazza Apr 27th 2006 8:24 am

Hey all

Drew

Hi Kellydrew, congratulations :) Have been off for a few days and just read your thread. Here's one for Friday night :beer:

Karen

kellydrew Apr 27th 2006 10:41 am

[QUOTE=Mystic Kazza]Hi Kellydrew, congratulations :) Have been off for a few days and just read your thread. Here's one for Friday night :beer:

Karen[/QUOTE

Thanks for your best wishes everyone.

For those who are still waiting at London it really won't be long. Ours took 6 weeks from start to finish.

Keep us informed.

Drew

jazzist Apr 27th 2006 12:10 pm

are others finding that it is hard putting everything on hold?

I haven't sent my application yet, and am doing a sponsored family application, so it should be relatively quick and easy, and I only started gathering information in Feb.

but it is still hard... I've been living in the same house for 3 years, and it was only meant to be a stop gap, but now we find ourselves staying longer where we didn't really want to, as there is little point going elsewhere for a shor time,

also puts career on hold or at the very least thinking about what to do w.r.t. jobs and trying to apply for jobs in Canada while working really long days everyday in the U.K. Being tired all the time doesn't help! :zzz:

But.. I will keep smiling :)

Determination will make it happen :)

britishvixen21 Apr 27th 2006 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by jazzist
are others finding that it is hard putting everything on hold?

I haven't sent my application yet, and am doing a sponsored family application, so it should be relatively quick and easy, and I only started gathering information in Feb.

but it is still hard... I've been living in the same house for 3 years, and it was only meant to be a stop gap, but now we find ourselves staying longer where we didn't really want to, as there is little point going elsewhere for a shor time,

also puts career on hold or at the very least thinking about what to do w.r.t. jobs and trying to apply for jobs in Canada while working really long days everyday in the U.K. Being tired all the time doesn't help! :zzz:

But.. I will keep smiling :)

Determination will make it happen :)

It is hard but luckily with sponsorship youl be done in no time, it doesnt feel liket hat now and the wait is horrible, My 3 months felt like 3 years!! But its all worth it in the end. Just keep thinking happy thoughts, have lots of booze at hand and maybe some valium for really bad days and keep your chin up :D

sally h Apr 27th 2006 5:16 pm

[QUOTE=jazzist]are others finding that it is hard putting everything on hold?

Dear Jazzist
Reading your message, it sounded like our life. We've been thinking about it for 4 years or so, and finally sent our forms off at the end of last month, and are still living in limbo...hopefully just for a little bit longer.
Good luck with finishing your forms...I must admit I didn't find it as easy as you seem to...It took me ages, checking and double checking, hoping I hadn't missed any thing.
Good Luck.
Sally

sally h Apr 27th 2006 5:17 pm

[QUOTE=kellydrew]

Originally Posted by Mystic Kazza
Hi Kellydrew, congratulations :) Have been off for a few days and just read your thread. Here's one for Friday night :beer:

Karen[/QUOTE

Thanks for your best wishes everyone.

For those who are still waiting at London it really won't be long. Ours took 6 weeks from start to finish.

Keep us informed.

Drew

Good luck Kelly and Drew
I'm glad your passport came back in time for you.
Sally

kellydrew Apr 27th 2006 8:08 pm

[QUOTE=sally h]

Good luck Kelly and Drew
I'm glad your passport came back in time for you.
Sally

Well, it still hasn't arrived yet. Should be here tomorrow. Fingers xd.

Thanks though :)

kellydrew Apr 28th 2006 3:26 pm

Well Andrew's Visa has finally arrived this morning and so its all systems go!!!!!!! :D
Still compiling the blinking 'goods to follow list', how long winded! hopefully we will have finished it by the 5th (the day we're due to fly)
Thank goodness we brought back a copy of the Sears catalogue and the Canadian Ikea, this has proved to be really helpful when looking at replacement costs!!!!!
Apparently we're drinking some age old wine Andrew has been storing for the past fifty million years. :beer: hic hic

Anyway a BIG THANKYOU from both Andrew and myself for all the advice and support and interesting reads you have all given us along the way.
Keep smiling and happy landings

Kelly :beer:

Mr Lee Apr 28th 2006 9:09 pm

Well Andrew's Visa has finally arrived this morning and so its all systems go!!!!!!! :D

Excellent news folks!!! You must be over the moon...

...or under the table, depending on how the celebrations are going. ;) :beer: :beer:

We've just got back from a week away and were hoping for at least one brown envelope (we've also got the application for our 2 month old son's Canadian Citizenship in process as well).

Alas - no. :(
Although there is a special delivery letter in our son's name at the local sorting office that we missed and will have to pick up tomorrow. Just his birth certificate I suppose.

Still - fingers crossed that things will start moving in London soon enough for us. :o

See you in Toronto, Drew, as we watch United win the treble in 2007...

britishvixen21 Apr 29th 2006 12:11 am

Thats awesome Kelly and Drew good luck with the landing!!

Hang in there Mr Lee its a commin!!

If we are all in Toronto we have to all meet up for drinks!!!

jerry brewer Apr 29th 2006 10:24 am

Hi All,
we're still waiting, after receiving the AOR from london on 10 - april,
but we have put the house on the market last weekend,so real busy sorting out stuff, for bins/tip etc.

worrying to see how high the canadian dollar is going...
highest since 1978... :scared:
maybe it will drop before we go ..
good luck to all going & those still waiting,
Vancouver sept 06 , ( fingers crossed )
Cheers
Jerry

jerry brewer Apr 29th 2006 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi All,
we're still waiting, after receiving the AOR from london on 10 - april,
but we have put the house on the market last weekend,so real busy sorting out stuff, for bins/tip etc.

worrying to see how high the canadian dollar is going...
highest since 1978... :scared:
maybe it will drop before we go ..
good luck to all going & those still waiting,
Vancouver sept 06 , ( fingers crossed )
Cheers
Jerry

Hi All,
Just an update, :scared: Aggghhhh.
Just sold the house... only been on the market for about a week ........ we had three valuations and we put it on for the highest figure as well, thinking we might have to drop the price for an offer.
Just need to get the OK from London now .....
Vancouver might be a possibility for Jul/Aug, it will give the kids a chance to settle in before starting school.
Cheers
Jerry

britishvixen21 Apr 29th 2006 3:34 pm

Hi All,
Just sold the house... only been on the market for about a week ........ we had three valuations and we put it on for the highest figure as well, thinking we might have to drop the price for an offer.
Vancouver might be a possibility for Jul/Aug, it will give the kids a chance to settle in before starting school.
Cheers
Jerry

Congratulations Jerry that was super fast, and dont worry I have a feeling everything will fall into place like you signing contracts about the same time as that lovely shiny visa comes through :D

VCox Apr 29th 2006 5:33 pm

Hi All,
Cheers
Jerry

Wow, that's fantastic news Jerry! Like you say it would be good if you can get settled before school starts. As Vix said, I'm sure you'll get the visa in no time - they seem to be taking about 6 weeks at London.

I bet reality's really sinking in now eh?

V

jerry brewer Apr 29th 2006 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
Congratulations Jerry that was super fast, and dont worry I have a feeling everything will fall into place like you signing contracts about the same time as that lovely shiny visa comes through :D

Originally Posted by VCox
Wow, that's fantastic news Jerry! Like you say it would be good if you can get settled before school starts. As Vix said, I'm sure you'll get the visa in no time - they seem to be taking about 6 weeks at London.

I bet reality's really sinking in now eh?

V

Hi
Thanks to both of you for the comments,
Yeah reality and nerves are starting to sink in :scared: but I suppose that's only normal, If there wasn't any, Then that would be worrying.
Funnily the Kids are really into it, which is a good thing.
They were talking about a pet moose, but I think/hope they are only joking ..... I'm not cleaning up the backyard. :D
Cheers
Jerry

VCox May 1st 2006 12:09 pm

Wish me luck everyone, I'm landing at Vancouver tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes. To everyone else landing over the next few weeks, all the best and I hope we all have a easy time and nice immigration officials :)

V

britishvixen21 May 1st 2006 1:16 pm

Wish me luck everyone, I'm landing at Vancouver tomorrow. Will let you know how it goes. To everyone else landing over the next few weeks, all the best and I hope we all have a easy time and nice immigration officials :)

V

Congratulations Vcox, wishing you well for a speedy no hassle landing experience and a safe flight. thanks for being there for all of us hope you stick around :D im landing a in two weeks when i get back from UK :D

jerry brewer May 1st 2006 6:57 pm

V

Hi
good luck hope all goes well with the flight,customs, etc, :)
we are hoping for a july landing in Vancouver,
any particular area you have taken a liking to ?
we are still not sure which area is for us yet.
Cheers
Jerry

kellydrew May 1st 2006 9:24 pm

V

Best of luck V.

I land in T.O. on Friday and we're still trying to get our lists done. Just had word from our lawyers saying that we need to show them proof of funds. I thought that as it was a spousal sponsorship that we didn't have to do that :confused:

Anyway best of luck to you.

Drew

VCox May 1st 2006 10:33 pm

Best of luck V.

I land in T.O. on Friday and we're still trying to get our lists done. Just had word from our lawyers saying that we need to show them proof of funds. I thought that as it was a spousal sponsorship that we didn't have to do that :confused:

Anyway best of luck to you.

Drew

You don't need proof of funds for spousal sponsorship, I asked this question on the immigration forum - have a look at my posts and you should be able to find it.

I've not done much of a list as I'm going to list most items as belonging to hubby when we go over for good. Hope there won't be a problem with that :confused:

Best of luck to you too, have a good trip

V

VCox May 1st 2006 10:37 pm

Hi
good luck hope all goes well with the flight,customs, etc, :)
we are hoping for a july landing in Vancouver,
any particular area you have taken a liking to ?
we are still not sure which area is for us yet.
Cheers
Jerry

We're thinking of Kelowna now so will be visiting during this trip to have a good look round. Are you planning to settle in Vancouver area or further afield in BC?

Thanks for the good wishes,

V

VCox May 1st 2006 10:38 pm

Congratulations Vcox, wishing you well for a speedy no hassle landing experience and a safe flight. thanks for being there for all of us hope you stick around :D im landing a in two weeks when i get back from UK :D

Cheers Vix, enjoy the wedding and happy landing!

V

Horizons May 2nd 2006 10:05 am

Still compiling the blinking 'goods to follow list', how long winded! hopefully we will have finished it by the 5th (the day we're due to fly)
Thank goodness we brought back a copy of the Sears catalogue and the Canadian Ikea, this has proved to be really helpful when looking at replacement costs!!!!!
Apparently we're drinking some age old wine Andrew has been storing for the past fifty million years. :beer: hic hic

Anyway a BIG THANKYOU from both Andrew and myself for all the advice and support and interesting reads you have all given us along the way.
Keep smiling and happy landings

Kelly :beer:

Congratulations KellyDrew!!!!

Happy adventures to you.

H :beer:

Mr Lee May 2nd 2006 12:38 pm

Well - quite a day...I hope!

We've just accepted an offer on the house this morning FINALLY - it's taken four months, about 20 viewings, two price-drops and a kick up the arse for the estate agent - and there's a brown envelope addressed to me from the CHC sat on the coffee table waiting to be opened.
:scared:
I told the other half I'd hold off until she got home before I opened it.
The suspense is killing me! :mad:

Fingers crossed guys!!!

Mystic Kazza May 2nd 2006 12:48 pm

Hi Everyone, what a fantastic day. :) Hubby got brown envelope from London saying to submit his passport for a nice, beautiful VISA!!! :D

Cannot wait to tell the kids when they come home from school. :)

Just put that long awaited champagne in the fridge. :beer:

Best wishes to everyone,

Karen

kellydrew May 2nd 2006 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
Well - quite a day...I hope!

We've just accepted an offer on the house this morning FINALLY - it's taken four months, about 20 viewings, two price-drops and a kick up the arse for the estate agent - and there's a brown envelope addressed to me from the CHC sat on the coffee table waiting to be opened.
:scared:
I told the other half I'd hold off until she got home before I opened it.
The suspense is killing me! :mad:

Fingers crossed guys!!!

Well?

Mr Lee May 2nd 2006 12:58 pm

Well?

Still waiting for the missus!

Post arrived this morning while I was out doing some work but before I got home she'd taken the littl'un in for his first lot of immunisations: I said I'd wait until she got back before I opened it.

MysticKazza and me are on similar timelines, so it's looking hopeful! :D

britishvixen21 May 2nd 2006 1:14 pm

Still waiting for the missus!

Post arrived this morning while I was out doing some work but before I got home she'd taken the littl'un in for his first lot of immunisations: I said I'd wait until she got back before I opened it.

MysticKazza and me are on similar timelines, so it's looking hopeful! :D

OMG Lee and Mystic thats great news congratulations!!!! Lee your going to have me in suspence all day now!!! but I have a good idea as to what it is! congrats on the house also, me thinks you will be having a few of these :beer: tonight :D

Mr Lee May 2nd 2006 2:06 pm

OMG Lee and Mystic thats great news congratulations!!!! Lee your going to have me in suspence all day now!!! but I have a good idea as to what it is! congrats on the house also, me thinks you will be having a few of these :beer: tonight :D

WOOOOHOOO!!!

Just sneaked a peek and it is my PPR!!! :eek:

They have sent back two photographs that I sent with my original application. Does this mean they don't meet the specs, or have I just missed reading something and they want me to send them back?

Edit: Looks like they don't meet the specs.
I sent passport style photos taken in a photobooth at Sainsbury's! The two they've sent back are cut unevenly and are on glossy paper. They ask for matt... :rolleyes:

...or does this really matter? Anybody submit glossy photos with their PPR?

Edit again!: Never mind - just went to a local photographers. £4.00 and 4 pics to the specs on the form. Canada here I come!!! :D :D

ijstewart May 2nd 2006 4:38 pm

Congrats Mr Lee!!! :D we have AOR from London about 1 week behind you (April 12), so fingers crossed it will be our turn next week. London seems to be very fast at the minute.

WOOOOHOOO!!!

Just sneaked a peek and it is my PPR!!! :eek:

They have sent back two photographs that I sent with my original application. Does this mean they don't meet the specs, or have I just missed reading something and they want me to send them back?

Edit: Looks like they don't meet the specs.
I sent passport style photos taken in a photobooth at Sainsbury's! The two they've sent back are cut unevenly and are on glossy paper. They ask for matt... :rolleyes:

...or does this really matter? Anybody submit glossy photos with their PPR?

Edit again!: Never mind - just went to a local photographers. £4.00 and 4 pics to the specs on the form. Canada here I come!!! :D :D

kellydrew May 2nd 2006 6:02 pm

Karen and Mr. Lee.......CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
So pleased for you both, lots of celebrating I think???.

Since Andrew received his visa I think we are on a kind of roller coaster, trying to tie up loose ends before we fly on Friday.
The 'Goods to follow list' is a pain in the arse, having to decide now as to what we are going to take, coz we still have to come back and sell our house before we can actually move over and we may change our minds about what we are going to bring...... but hey ho!

To everyone else, be patient your time will come.
;)
Kelly

sally h May 2nd 2006 6:31 pm

Hi all. Congratulations to all the lucky people who all seem to have recieved their PR's in the last week.
You must all be rushing around tying up loose ends and sorting out flights and shipping. Regarding this I have a favour to ask.
When you have sorted out who you are shipping your stuff with, if you have time, would you please let us know who you chose to shift your stuff, approx size of load, where you are shipping to (Toronto, Calgary etc..) and how much they charged or quoted.
I've been trying to research this myself, and I think we will be shipping less than 12 cubic metres to Toronto,... the price is shocking! :scared:So far about £1700 not inc insurance.
But I suppose it is a small price to pay for a shiny new life!
Good Luck to everyone,
and thankyou in anticipation of replies.(If you have time.)
Love Sally :)

jerry brewer May 2nd 2006 6:44 pm

We're thinking of Kelowna now so will be visiting during this trip to have a good look round. Are you planning to settle in Vancouver area or further afield in BC?

Thanks for the good wishes,

V

hi,
Kelowna is supposed to be very nice, it is one on our 'list', as is Victoria, I think we would like to be in Van, but being realistic, I think it will be the outskirts, which one, is going to depend on the house prices and when we get permission to go, we are going to rent somewhere.. for maybe about 6 months, or until jobs are sorted.

great news for those who have just heard, We are aor 10-04-06 , hopefully we might hear in a week or so, It would be great as we have to try to move out of our house for the new buyers by the end of May ..... :scared:
Just starting to get in contact with shippers/storage now.
Cheers
Jerry

Island_Girl May 2nd 2006 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by sally h
Hi all. Congratulations to all the lucky people who all seem to have recieved their PR's in the last week.
You must all be rushing around tying up loose ends and sorting out flights and shipping. Regarding this I have a favour to ask.
When you have sorted out who you are shipping your stuff with, if you have time, would you please let us know who you chose to shift your stuff, approx size of load, where you are shipping to (Toronto, Calgary etc..) and how much they charged or quoted.
I've been trying to research this myself, and I think we will be shipping less than 12 cubic metres to Toronto,... the price is shocking! :scared:So far about £1700 not inc insurance.
But I suppose it is a small price to pay for a shiny new life!
Good Luck to everyone,
and thankyou in anticipation of replies.(If you have time.)
Love Sally :)

Hi Sally

my hubby is landing on Saturday in Vancouver BC....Yahooooo :D I am so excited I have not seen him since New Years Day.

He is not bringing much only about 10 boxes he is using cargobookers to ship his stuff for just over £250 for shipping between London and Vancouver BC it is the best deal we found for shipping. I would definitely try them.

britishvixen21 May 2nd 2006 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Island_Girl
Hi Sally

my hubby is landing on Saturday in Vancouver BC....Yahooooo :D I am so excited I have not seen him since New Years Day.

He is not bringing much only about 10 boxes he is using cargobookers to ship his stuff for just over £250 for shipping between London and Vancouver BC it is the best deal we found for shipping. I would definitely try them.

Wow were all nearly through now!! not many of us left, and were all definatly through Mississauga!! What a ride eh!