Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone heard from Mississauga

Anyone heard from Mississauga

Old Jul 6th 2006, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

Island_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud ofIsland_Girl has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone heard from Mississauga

Originally Posted by Horizons
Husband of Horizons here - we have recieved some devastating news from London today - basically they have not issued me with PR as they say they do not believe that wife is resident in Canada.

We supplied everything they asked for & wife has been in Vancouver (she has been back to visit a couple of times - but how can this mean that she is NOT residing over there!

Any advise would be greatly appreciated - we are going to appeal - and hope that will be straight forward, but on the off chance that this doesn't overtunr their decision will she be able to re sponsor me?

H
Sorry to hear your news hopefully you can get this cleared up I too think you need to maybe post this in the Immigration forum and see what an expert can tell you. Good luck with the appeal. Karma sent to you with all my best wishes.

Island Girl
Old Jul 6th 2006, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Horizons is on a distinguished road

Hi Guys,

thanks for your replies! Have been onto a couple of lawyers in BC & they are saying the appeals process is taking upto a year - so we maybe better off re applying!

Anyway have posted on the other board & will let you know how we get on.

Thanks as ever

H
Old Jul 7th 2006, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Horizons
Husband of Horizons here - we have recieved some devastating news from London today - basically they have not issued me with PR as they say they do not believe that wife is resident in Canada.

We supplied everything they asked for & wife has been in Vancouver (she has been back to visit a couple of times - but how can this mean that she is NOT residing over there!

Any advise would be greatly appreciated - we are going to appeal - and hope that will be straight forward, but on the off chance that this doesn't overtunr their decision will she be able to re sponsor me?

H
Hi
Sorry to hear the news, maybe our application was somehow different, my canadian born wife was with me in UK (and still is ) all thro' the sponsorship, only problem we had was proving her intent to return to canada, so we bombarded them with a parcel of info, and next thing we knew was a letter saying the forms were going to london and all was ok.
I personally would try a letter to CHC, appeal sounds like a long process to me.
Good luck
cheers
Jerry
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,
Just an update ,
We landed OK Vancouver 17th July, real easy thro' customs the whole process even with the dog took just about 25 Mins.
Went to get SIN numbers on wednesday, myself and the kids had a number in about 15 mins, card to follow in the post in about 5 - 10 days, my wife as a returning canadian has to wait for her number thro' the post in about 10 days.
UK mobile/cell phone work on rogers or fido, fido being the one recommended by everyone due to coverage and costs,just remember to get it unlocked before leaving uk.
We had some kids games chargers , nintendo/gameboy, 240v only, but we brought them and they work, they take a little longer to charge, but they last longer when charged.
On the job front, contacted an agency here by e mail on friday, ten minutes later they phoned me ....
First interview friday next week, seems there is a big shortage over here, everyone is telling us that for the first time for ages there are adverts for job vacancies in the paper, and there are 'hiring now boards' at many places, so it fingers crossed.
Only bad news the housing market is bouyant here, tho' strangely the experts here predict a slump after the winter olympics, also apparently many downtown apartments are empty, awaiting sale.
Our first impressions here are good.
Off car hunting next week, we move into a rental town house on 1st August
Good luck to all
Cheers
Jerry
Old Jul 25th 2006, 3:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi All,
Just an update ,
We landed OK Vancouver 17th July, real easy thro' customs the whole process even with the dog took just about 25 Mins.
Went to get SIN numbers on wednesday, myself and the kids had a number in about 15 mins, card to follow in the post in about 5 - 10 days, my wife as a returning canadian has to wait for her number thro' the post in about 10 days.
UK mobile/cell phone work on rogers or fido, fido being the one recommended by everyone due to coverage and costs,just remember to get it unlocked before leaving uk.
We had some kids games chargers , nintendo/gameboy, 240v only, but we brought them and they work, they take a little longer to charge, but they last longer when charged.
On the job front, contacted an agency here by e mail on friday, ten minutes later they phoned me ....
First interview friday next week, seems there is a big shortage over here, everyone is telling us that for the first time for ages there are adverts for job vacancies in the paper, and there are 'hiring now boards' at many places, so it fingers crossed.
Only bad news the housing market is bouyant here, tho' strangely the experts here predict a slump after the winter olympics, also apparently many downtown apartments are empty, awaiting sale.
Our first impressions here are good.
Off car hunting next week, we move into a rental town house on 1st August
Good luck to all
Cheers
Jerry
Splendid news!

I had to wait in a queue for over an hour to get my SIN - it was a right pain in the arse cos I had loads of other bits to do at the time.
We've got a place to rent in Alliston, Ont and will be moving in next week (been staying with in-laws for the last month). I haven't got a job yet, but the OH has (and already started).
The car has been bought - although I'll warn you now - be prepared for a shock with insurance. Our first quotes were around the $4 -5,000 mark! And that's with full no claims and 17 years of driving experience. It made absolutely no difference that we had proof - all they see is that you've had a Canadian licence since whatever date you traded your UK one in. We've ended up paying nearly $3,000 -the cheapest we could get it.

Tell you what though - isn't it hot!
Old Jul 28th 2006, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
Splendid news!

I had to wait in a queue for over an hour to get my SIN - it was a right pain in the arse cos I had loads of other bits to do at the time.
We've got a place to rent in Alliston, Ont and will be moving in next week (been staying with in-laws for the last month). I haven't got a job yet, but the OH has (and already started).
The car has been bought - although I'll warn you now - be prepared for a shock with insurance. Our first quotes were around the $4 -5,000 mark! And that's with full no claims and 17 years of driving experience. It made absolutely no difference that we had proof - all they see is that you've had a Canadian licence since whatever date you traded your UK one in. We've ended up paying nearly $3,000 -the cheapest we could get it.

Tell you what though - isn't it hot!
Hi,
Glad things are going OK, we have a car now, same as you experienced insurance was about 2k, we had full no claims, 25 years driving experience each, we are trying to get a letter out of our UK insurers is a dead end tho', but still trying.
Weather is just starting to cool down now, 21 Deg and our first clouds since we arrived, off job hunting now, first interview today, bad news is our container is delayed in montreal by about five days...
otherwise all is OK.
Cheers
Jerry
Old Jul 28th 2006, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

hezbett is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi,
Glad things are going OK, we have a car now, same as you experienced insurance was about 2k, we had full no claims, 25 years driving experience each, we are trying to get a letter out of our UK insurers is a dead end tho', but still trying.
Weather is just starting to cool down now, 21 Deg and our first clouds since we arrived, off job hunting now, first interview today, bad news is our container is delayed in montreal by about five days...
otherwise all is OK.
Cheers
Jerry
Hello everyone!
It's been a good long while since we (Hezbett and Wesbett) posted anything, but it's great to see this thread is still going!!

We are off to Vancouver in a month's time, via Toronto first for a little holiday at the Hezbett family cottage. Getting pretty excited, tho frantic at the same time that we're going to get everythign done. We just had a baby at end of June, so big priority is making sure he gets his Canadian passport in time!

We have rented a house in Burnaby with help from Hezbett's Mum. Pics look good on the internet and the landlords seem really nice and communicative, making sure that it's all fixed up by the time we get occupancy August 1st.

We'll check in again once we land and let you know how it all goes.
Good lucj to everyone still waiting to land and specially to Mr and Mrs Horizons - hope your situation improves soon!

H&W
Old Jul 30th 2006, 8:20 am
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

Hi everyone

Glad to see that Mr Lee and Jerry Brewer are settling down to their new life over there in Canadia.....by the way Mr Lee did you see that RVN has gone to Madrid and we have signed Carrick?

Best wishes to you all over there as you start you new lives.

Hezbett.........Hope all goes well in your impending move.

We are still stuck here in sunny Wigan. Can't move over till the house is sold and the market is sooooooooooo slow around here. Hoses in our price range just aren't moving. Doing our heads in a bit I have to say :scared: :scared:
We have changed estate agents so you never know it might bring us a change of fortune.

How is everyone else doing who used to subscribe to this thread?

Brit Vix, Cov Canuck, Island Girl etc. Let us know how you're all doing. Horizons....How are things?

Take care all

Drew
Old Jul 30th 2006, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Mystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really nice

Originally Posted by kellydrew
Hi everyone

Glad to see that Mr Lee and Jerry Brewer are settling down to their new life over there in Canadia.....by the way Mr Lee did you see that RVN has gone to Madrid and we have signed Carrick?

We are still stuck here in sunny Wigan. Can't move over till the house is sold and the market is sooooooooooo slow around here. Hoses in our price range just aren't moving. Doing our heads in a bit I have to say :scared: :scared:
We have changed estate agents so you never know it might bring us a change of fortune.

Brit Vix, Cov Canuck, Island Girl etc. Let us know how you're all doing. Horizons....How are things?

Take care all

Drew

Hi Drew, we too are stuck in the housing market. Have had a few viewings. Some I thought seem promising but nothing as yet. Estate agent says 'dont worry will not be long now'. Suppose to pick up in August so they say.

Phil is going in September and leaving me here to get rid of the house!!!! :scared:

Please , please somebody buy our house.

Karen
Old Jul 30th 2006, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

glad to see so many of us comming through, things are good, landed on May 17th at Pearson airport, took around 30 minutes end to end dealt with a really lovely immigration lady and was outside lighting up celebratory smoke in no time at all.

Applied for my sin which i got an astonishing 8 weeks later and my PR card (which is very cool looking) arrived 4 weeks to the day i landed. I am applying for my OHIP shortly (had to wait 3 months to qualify) Temping at the moment for the MS Society in downtown toronto looking for a perm job. harder than i thought it was going to be, finding a job that I like has been hard going. But im ploughing through. Had really bad homesickness when we got back and was on the brink of going home but it seems to have subsided now, it was nothing that 32 packs of hobnobs and a shopping spree for brit coms on amazon didnt fix.

Me and Mr Vix have decided to get wed in 6t weeks so im busy with getting everything ready.

So right now everything is going ok, it was funny as i was sitting there the other day looking at all my shiny new id and i said to Mr Vix, just think all that hassle, all that stress, all those tears and what it comes down to is three credit card peices of ID really LOL.

Hope everyone else is ok
Old Jul 30th 2006, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kellydrew
Hi everyone

Take care all

Drew

Know how you feel Drew, it might be sunny but the market is dead, our house in Hindley hasn't sold after nearly 10 mths and we're a long way off moving to Canada.

Have some Karma to cheer you up
Old Jul 30th 2006, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

mels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mandyg
Know how you feel Drew, it might be sunny but the market is dead, our house in Hindley hasn't sold after nearly 10 mths and we're a long way off moving to Canada.

Have some Karma to cheer you up
Things are slow in Leigh too, so you're not on your own!! We've had our first viewing after 4 weeks on the market, they were really interested but haven't even put their house on the market yet!! Why oh why do people bother looking if they haven't sold theirs??!!! :scared:

The houses that are below 100K are selling easily, but anything over is taking longer. We're over the stamp duty threshold, so have said we will pay stamp duty. Have you considered advertising with 2 agents? We have gone with 2 this week on a 'winner takes all' basis, hopefully we should get more interest as it is being advertised twice each week.

Good luck to everyone selling their houses

Mel
Old Jul 30th 2006, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mels123
Things are slow in Leigh too, so you're not on your own!! We've had our first viewing after 4 weeks on the market, they were really interested but haven't even put their house on the market yet!! Why oh why do people bother looking if they haven't sold theirs??!!! :scared:

The houses that are below 100K are selling easily, but anything over is taking longer. We're over the stamp duty threshold, so have said we will pay stamp duty. Have you considered advertising with 2 agents? We have gone with 2 this week on a 'winner takes all' basis, hopefully we should get more interest as it is being advertised twice each week.

Good luck to everyone selling their houses

Mel
Hi Mel,
We're on our second agent already, they all say the same - its big its nicely decorated it will sell quick yada yada yada but as yet no joy.

I second you're luck to anyone selling their house.

Stuart
Old Jul 31st 2006, 2:42 pm
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

Mandy and Mel

Houses under 100k are flying out the Estate Agents window but where the f..k are they moving to? You'd think they'd but something in our price range. We sacked Borron Shaw coz they sucked!!!! Hoping for a change of fortune. Maybe we live in the wrong area :scared:

Good luck to you all as you live, what is the nightmare of trying to sell your house.

Drew
Old Jul 31st 2006, 7:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi All,
Sorry to hear about the no luck with the house sales, keep 'em crossed the buyer might just be next one thro the door..
Real impressed with our SIN's, we applied on the wednesday, and we were given a SIN within 15 mins, and the cards arrived today thro' the mail, so that's about 8 working days.
We sat down the weekend and tried to think what was better in the UK than Canada, and we couldn't think of anything, then finally came up with car insurance, the only 'downer', however we now have our letter from our UK insurers and we are trying for an insurance refund, as we can now prove some driving history.
Off job hunting again today,plenty jobs about,but I need to get my UK qualifications recognised.
Our bad news is the container is delayed at Montreal by about a week, so we have an un-furnished rental....and no furniture....., but at least there is a pool.
Good luck to all,
Cheers
Jerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.