British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Anyone got experience of Robinson's for removals? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/anyone-got-experience-robinsons-removals-640787/)

Nibbles2005 Nov 16th 2009 2:37 pm

Anyone got experience of Robinson's for removals?

We are about to commit to Robinsons International for our move. Does anyone have any experience of them and is £4,800 for a 40ft container a good price?

Thanks

fledermaus Nov 16th 2009 3:10 pm

Re: Anyone got experience of Robinson's for removals?

Originally Posted by Nibbles2005 (Post 8102193)
We are about to commit to Robinsons International for our move. Does anyone have any experience of them and is £4,800 for a 40ft container a good price?

Thanks

We used them and they were awful. They underestimated the amount of stuff we had so we had to bin a couple of mattresses and bed base, 3 cases of books plus some other stuff. They said that they could find space for a few more things and then charged us and extra $400 before they would deliver the boxes. When paking they marked down the several items as being scratched and dented when they were perfect. The had to unwrap, inspect and pack again.

We were told that out stuff would arrive a few weeks after we did, which would be good for us. It arrived before we did so we had to put it in storage early. When we did unpack there were many breakages including the good china. Many boxes were half empty too so if they had packed more carefully they could have got the extra items in that we had to pay more for.

Hey ho. This was 3 years ago so maybe they have changed. I suggest you use the search function for more tales as I recall others saying that they were fine.

ogcsmith Nov 16th 2009 3:25 pm

I think the price depends on where you are going from and too. We went from Newcastle to Edmonton and it was 4000.

The british side were fine and very efficient ( a bit too efficient, lots of british electrical stuff ended up here which I was going to leave behind).

However, they did not pack some of the fragile items as well as they could have and despite my wife attaching all the intructions for the flat pack furniture they didn't pack it all together.

At the canadian side they were not as good ( a partner not the same company). They didn't want to put things back together ( despite this being part of the deal) and left loads of boxes. It took them two weeks to come and take them away.

However, they delt with the insurance claims effieciently and did not mess me about ( and there will be damage whoever you use).

This was a little over a year ago.

Would use them again? Not sure. We were going to go with Pickfords last time and I would probably use them instead.

Almost Canadian Nov 16th 2009 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by ogcsmith (Post 8102286)
However, they delt with the insurance claims effieciently and did not mess me about ( and there will be damage whoever you use).

None of our goods were damaged but we didn't use Robinsons (maybe this is what you meant):p:thumbsup:

BristolUK Nov 16th 2009 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus (Post 8102257)
We were told that out stuff would arrive a few weeks after we did, which would be good for us. It arrived before we did so we had to put it in storage early.

Same thing happened with me too, except it seemed to get stored upon arrival. I had the impression it was only my email that got the delivery to the new address arranged. I wasn't charged storage though.

No breakages, but even though the same number of boxes arrived as left, some things were missing. :confused:

fledermaus Nov 16th 2009 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 8102301)
Same thing happened with me too, except it seemed to get stored upon arrival. I had the impression it was only my email that got the delivery to the new address arranged. I wasn't charged storage though.

No breakages, but even though the same number of boxes arrived as left, some things were missing. :confused:

I think it was a very dubious practice to mark the boxes saying the contents were already damaged when clearly they weren't. When they pack they mark each box with a code. When I asked the packers what the letters meant they told me something else. It was only after everything was packed that I realised. If someone is describing the condition of a piece of furniture then I think I should be there to check each box and agree with the assessment.

The people at this end were fine but somehow the boxes managed leave the warehouse without being inspected. This was discovered at the Customs Offices in Peterborough when we went to take possession. Everything had to go back while the paperwork was sorted out. Fortunately we didn't have to go to the Customs office again.

mcdavis Nov 16th 2009 7:10 pm

They came round to survey our stuff, but never bothered to provide a quote :frown:

snoopster Nov 16th 2009 7:27 pm

We used Robinsons and they were excellent. Everything was packed really well, labelled well and arrived safely.

Yelkcub Nov 16th 2009 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by mcdavis (Post 8102724)
They came round to survey our stuff, but never bothered to provide a quote :frown:

Did you chase them to see why they hadn't quoted?

Who did you use in the end?

Lloydies Nov 17th 2009 4:30 am

We used Robinsons last year, and the service provided was excellent. Everything was packed really well, no breakages on delivery. :thumbsup:

paolosmythe Nov 17th 2009 6:15 am

we used Simpsons.

according to their online tracking system.... our stuff is yet to even leave the UK.

they took possession of our shipment at the end of August and our stuff was due to arrive at the start of December.

that'll teach us to decline their offer of insurance and to correct their estimated volume (which was double what it actually was / is)

:frown:

MADPUPPIES2 Nov 18th 2009 6:06 pm

We use Robinsons and had no problems at all they were good ,competant, everything was doubled wrapped and it all went like clockwork. Hope that helps

MSM Nov 18th 2009 6:39 pm

We used Robinsons and thought they were excellent. That price for 40ft container seems good too.

thewesties Nov 18th 2009 8:58 pm

Try Bonner interternational!

they came and quoted us 2 months ago, Paul is excellent!

They asked lots of questions and I have a really good price for 500 cubic feet! half a container!

www.doreebonner.co.uk

Best of luck with your move!

x

Westie

spooooook Nov 18th 2009 10:56 pm

See this thread
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=633727
and beware!