Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

for anyone genuinely not happy in canda

for anyone genuinely not happy in canda

Old Apr 29th 2010, 4:41 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: for anyone genuinely not happy in canda

Originally Posted by kate 17
blah blah
I shall paraphrase:

Originally Posted by Kate aged 17
I want to be able to insult posters if I disagree with them because I am unable to think things through and argue my point logically as evidenced by every debate I have been on in the past week
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:08 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate 17
I'm a very clever girl...
You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how incorrect
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:13 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I shall paraphrase:
Originally Posted by el_richo
You're entitled to your opinion, no matter how incorrect
Thats exactly the kind of unhelpfull baiting that some people might interpret as haranguing someone with different views around here. But she made such an impassioned plea that threads be left alone that now I dont know what to do...

Now, you all play nicely and get along eh!

Last edited by iaink; Apr 29th 2010 at 5:22 pm. Reason: "impassioned", happy now:p
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:18 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Thats exactly the kind of unhelpfull baiting that some people might interpret as haranguing someone with different views around here. But she made such an empashioned plea that threads be left alone that now I dont know what to do...

Now, you all play nicely and get along eh!
Dear God, iain, that's the worst yet.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:18 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

To answer the original question and get this dubious thread back on track, drinking in the morning helps immensely. Although I've noticed that about lunchtime Canadians start to become obnoxious and fairly aggressive.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Dear God, iain, that's the worst yet.
Hey, I havent had my customary 5 stabs at re editing yet, dont judge too soon.

I take the sentiment, but I sincerely doubt thats actually true...

Capital "I" for a name innit, live by the sword and all that

Last edited by iaink; Apr 29th 2010 at 5:23 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:39 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

iaink
Capital "I" for a name innit, live by the sword and all that
... cough ...
Old Apr 29th 2010, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

I don't know what depths this thread is going to descend into (fairly low, I would imagine), but here's my two cents.

For those that traded UK city life for a different pace of life in Canada, benefitted from good exchange rates and cheap house prices back in the day, then good for you.

However, it's not everyone's dream to live here, I only came here for family reasons and never had any desire to live here previously. I was quite happy visiting once in a while. I gave up a pretty good and fairly lucrative job to give my wife the opportunity to be close to her family and to raise a family here. I miss my friends and family in the UK, do not have any near equivalents here, have struggled to find satisfying employment and it's been pretty financially disastrous overall. A bit of a mid-life crisis really. I really lost my identity.

Canada is no better or worse than most other western countries, but I amongst others, have found it very hard to settle, make friends and establish a life here. I think it's a pretty hard place to break into. Everything seems very protected and sheltered. Change is not welcome. Getting anything done, especially with government is painful and time consuming.

It was a big mistake to take such a leap of faith, given how it all turned out. Strangely, I have been feeling slightly better of late. Maybe some kind of acceptance is washing over me. However, work and friends remain two biggies for me to overcome.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 6:02 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brizzle
I don't know what depths this thread is going to descend into (fairly low, I would imagine), but here's my two cents.

For those that traded UK city life for a different pace of life in Canada, benefitted from good exchange rates and cheap house prices back in the day, then good for you.

However, it's not everyone's dream to live here, I only came here for family reasons and never had any desire to live here previously. I was quite happy visiting once in a while. I gave up a pretty good and fairly lucrative job to give my wife the opportunity to be close to her family and to raise a family here. I miss my friends and family in the UK, do not have any near equivalents here, have struggled to find satisfying employment and it's been pretty financially disastrous overall. A bit of a mid-life crisis really. I really lost my identity.

Canada is no better or worse than most other western countries, but I amongst others, have found it very hard to settle, make friends and establish a life here. I think it's a pretty hard place to break into. Everything seems very protected and sheltered. Change is not welcome. Getting anything done, especially with government is painful and time consuming.

It was a big mistake to take such a leap of faith, given how it all turned out. Strangely, I have been feeling slightly better of late. Maybe some kind of acceptance is washing over me. However, work and friends remain two biggies for me to overcome.
I refer you to my previous post. That, and get a shed.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 6:15 pm

I sort of found this. Hope it helps.

10 STAGES OF EMIGRATION.

Stage 1: PANIC. They begin to worry, wondering if they have become mentally ill. They frequently ask themselves “What is happening to me?”

Stage 2: EMOTIONS ERUPT. The shock passes and emotions overflow their usual boundaries. They are expressed in ways ranging from wrenching sobs to gentle tears. Logic and rationality give way to an overwhelming realization of the enormity of it all..

Stage 3: SHOCK AND DENIAL. The pain is too great to be handled. Temporarily the system “overheats” and reality is blocked out. “This can’t be happening.”

Stage 4: ANGER. most people feel angry. They want to retaliate, to inflict pain on others, to strike out at the person or thing causing the pain. They find British Expats.com

Stage 5: SICKNESS. Often the body acts out the pain being felt through actual physical symptoms. Nausea, headaches, diarrhea, extreme fatigue are common.

Stage 6: GUILT. Personal guilt feelings build up as people wonder whether they are somehow to blame for leaving. They ask themselves if they could have done something to make it different if only . . .

Stage 7: DEPRESSION AND LONELINESS. They begin to realize that the change is permanent. As the depression deepens, friends and family find it harder to draw the person out, to talk them into participating in regular activities again.

Stage 8: RE-ENTRY TROUBLES. Once the effort is made to get back into the normal routine.

Stage 9: HOPE EMERGES. Gradually, the pain subsides and the world becomes bearable again.

Stage 10: ACCEPTING AND AFFIRMING REALITY. You're here to stay and there's bugger all you can do about it.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Oink
I sort of found this. Hope it helps.

10 STAGES OF EMIGRATION.

Stage 1: PANIC. They begin to worry, wondering if they have become mentally ill. They frequently ask themselves “What is happening to me?”

Stage 2: EMOTIONS ERUPT. The shock passes and emotions overflow their usual boundaries. They are expressed in ways ranging from wrenching sobs to gentle tears. Logic and rationality give way to an overwhelming realization of the enormity of it all..

Stage 3: SHOCK AND DENIAL. The pain is too great to be handled. Temporarily the system “overheats” and reality is blocked out. “This can’t be happening.”

Stage 4: ANGER. most people feel angry. They want to retaliate, to inflict pain on others, to strike out at the person or thing causing the pain. They find British Expats.com

Stage 5: SICKNESS. Often the body acts out the pain being felt through actual physical symptoms. Nausea, headaches, diarrhea, extreme fatigue are common.

Stage 6: GUILT. Personal guilt feelings build up as people wonder whether they are somehow to blame for leaving. They ask themselves if they could have done something to make it different if only . . .

Stage 7: DEPRESSION AND LONELINESS. They begin to realize that the change is permanent. As the depression deepens, friends and family find it harder to draw the person out, to talk them into participating in regular activities again.

Stage 8: RE-ENTRY TROUBLES. Once the effort is made to get back into the normal routine.

Stage 9: HOPE EMERGES. Gradually, the pain subsides and the world becomes bearable again.

Stage 10: ACCEPTING AND AFFIRMING REALITY. You're here to stay and there's bugger all you can do about it.
I must be somewhere between stages 9 and 10
Old Apr 29th 2010, 6:36 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by brizzle
I must be somewhere between stages 9 and 10
yay i have loads to look forward to then .... hefty supply of prozak comin with me then!
Old Apr 29th 2010, 6:55 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottandsel
yay i have loads to look forward to then .... hefty supply of prozak comin with me then!
dont diss the zac - some times its the only way from 8 to 10!
Old Apr 29th 2010, 7:08 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
dont diss the zac - some times its the only way from 8 to 10!
oh i dont "diss the zak" believe me! it'll be either that or i may be hitting the jd! wonder which is easier to weane off?
Old Apr 29th 2010, 7:11 pm
not wired right

so when does no1 kick in - soon as arriving or will it be a few weeks?

jus want to know so's i can start early with either the zak or jd, build it up in my system so hopefully 2 - 10 will just be a lovely hazy blurr

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.