Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone enjoying their new life in Canada?

Anyone enjoying their new life in Canada?

Old May 20th 2010, 2:50 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone enjoying their new life in Canada?

Originally Posted by gingnut
My husband feels that the only thing that could increase his contentment with Canada is if I will let him buy a boat. He is not getting a boat.
Meanie !
Mine said the same about a hot air balloon. I said that she'd make good ballast !! Debate over.
Old May 20th 2010, 2:51 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
What happened to the pictures from last year?
Ah. I'll have to see about that. Procrastination is my middle name.
Old May 20th 2010, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

Been here coming up to 2 years and we are happy, settled and contented.

Not to say it wasn't hard to settle down - but never once did we think we had made the wrong move. Just learning a new way of life, making new friends, getting used to prices and products being different, humdrum stuff but be prepared for a permanent headache for the first couple of months!

We have no desire to go back to UK for a visit, first baby on the way, life is good

Good luck with your move
Old May 20th 2010, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

libgirl is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by michelle101
Hi everyone,

I don't know if this is just my cold feet but just been reading a few threads on the forum and they seem to be very negative.

We've just got our PR through, OH just got redundancy (just at the right time for us) and we sold our house this weekend in 48 hours, for over the asking price. Everything seems to be falling into place apart from the abysmal exchange rate.

We have a very good life in the UK and are going to Canada for an adventure with a view to returning in 12 months if we want to, or maybe we'll stay. We have a daughter (8) and we're heading for the north shore of vancouver.

Some good experiences of Canadian life would be good to hear right now.

M.
Hi,

I know how you feel about the doom and gloomers on this site, had my experience with them the other day, BUT, they are the minority, for every negative response to a thread, i have had 2 positive, people just vent.

My situation is a bit different, we are still in process with our move to BC, fingers crossed, will be there by late summer, We have however already made the move from the UK and HAVE NOT AND NEVER WILL regret taking my kids away from the UK. It was the best thing we ever did for them.

We are in southern California and the lifestyle is i imagine very similar to north america, they love it, they are so much more sociable, much happier kids. Even though the immigration hasnt worked out for us here, as the wait for a greencard is currently 7 years, we will never regret doing it.

Cold feet is a normal part of the pocess.
Old May 20th 2010, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by libgirl
Hi,
HAVE NOT AND NEVER WILL regret taking my kids away from the UK. It was the best thing we ever did for them.
.....they are so much more sociable, much happier kids.
This is what motivated us to move, and even after 4 months we've noticed positive changes with the kids.
Old May 20th 2010, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

mrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to allmrsr0binson is a name known to all

Originally Posted by spaceace
Cold feet is a normal part of the pocess..
That's great to hear; we have less than 4 weeks until our move and mine are starting to feel like blocks of ice

It's so nice to read such lovely positive stories. We plan to embrace our new lives and enjoy the adventure - We are really looking forward to the challenges that lay ahead - as well as the fantastic experiences..

Originally Posted by spaceace
My husband feels that the only thing that could increase his contentment with Canada is if I will let him buy a boat. .
It's so nice to know that I'm not the only woman having to kerb her husbands desires for 'Boys-Toys'! That seems to be my OH priority once we land too!
Old May 20th 2010, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

Exilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really nice

Originally Posted by michelle101
Hi everyone,

I don't know if this is just my cold feet but just been reading a few threads on the forum and they seem to be very negative.

We've just got our PR through, OH just got redundancy (just at the right time for us) and we sold our house this weekend in 48 hours, for over the asking price. Everything seems to be falling into place apart from the abysmal exchange rate.

We have a very good life in the UK and are going to Canada for an adventure with a view to returning in 12 months if we want to, or maybe we'll stay. We have a daughter (8) and we're heading for the north shore of Vancouver.

Some good experiences of Canadian life would be good to hear right now.

M.
I can only tell you about our experience, but you can take from it what you will.
We came to Canada in 1989 when it was impossible to move to somewhere as 'civilised' as Vancouver and so were in Northern Alberta. I was 6 month pregnant with our 1st (and subsequently, only) child. I hated the place.
We moved 18 months later to Northern BC and I began to make friends, many of whom were from other expat communities. I still felt like a fish out of water and longed to be among my own people, but I was gradually beginning to see the benefits of living in Canada.
In 1994 we decided to go home as our son needed to be at school and we were told he was too young for school where we lived. We moved back to Scotland.
That move cost us dearly. Almost everything we needed in the UK, the house, cars etc was twice the price we would have paid in Canada and the cost of the actual move was huge. My husband could not get decent work in Scotland and ended up going back to his old job in BC; commuting on a month on, month off basis.
In 1999 we moved back to Canada.

We now live on the Island and recognise that there are many wonderful things about Canada...the space, the peace(of the country and the people) the service(you won't get service like this in the UK, except in M&S), the people (are non-aggressive, unlike their southern neighbours and accepting), the weather (like the Channel Islands), the cost of living (generally lower than the UK). However, we have never completely settled here.
We deeply miss 'our people', we miss our culture, our land and our language. We would go home again if we could afford it, but that move is very expensive.

Am I saying, "Don't do it"?
Not in the least. Canada is a wonderful country, it is full of opportunities and can offer you a fantastic life, but I would say, consider how attached you are to your family and your way of life, to you "Englishness" (I am assuming you are English!) and how much you would miss those things. We have English neighbours who have whole heartedly embrassed being Canadians; they speak like Canadians and have taken up Canadian hobbies, drink and life style and are as happy as sandboys! Long may that continue for them.

We can't do that. I am not saying one is right and one wrong, simply that if you have a deep connection to your homeland you may find the move difficult.

However, if you think, sod it we're going anyway, you will not regret the experience.

If you are serious about going back in a year make sure you budget for that from the word 'go'; but whatever you decide I wish you health, peace and joy in your new life.
Old May 20th 2010, 9:30 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Would never return back to the UK.

Living the rural lifestyle, have a fab Canadian husband and extended family, great friends who share our outlook on life - work hard, play harder.

Hell i've literally just planted a vegetable patch in my former guise as an old council estate chav that would never have happened.

I will draw the line at wearing those fluffy jackets with the wolves on etc, but aside from that - f**k yeah life is good
Old May 20th 2010, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops

I will draw the line at wearing those fluffy jackets with the wolves on etc, but aside from that - f**k yeah life is good
Any Northern Reflections sweatshirts for when you are going out for a formal meal?
Old May 20th 2010, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exilelass
We have English neighbours who have whole heartedly embrassed being Canadians; they speak like Canadians and have taken up Canadian hobbies, drink and life style and are as happy as sandboys!
I'd be interested to know what these Canadian hobbies, drink and lifestyle are?....huntin',fishin', Tim Hortons drinkin'?
Old May 20th 2010, 9:59 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Any Northern Reflections sweatshirts for when you are going out for a formal meal?
Formal meal the closest to formal we get is a napkin with the wiener roast
Old May 20th 2010, 9:59 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exilelass
We came to Canada in 1989 when it was impossible to move to somewhere as 'civilised' as Vancouver and so were in Northern Alberta.
Eh? I first came in 1982, straight to a relatively civilized part of Toronto.
Old May 20th 2010, 10:09 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
Formal meal the closest to formal we get is a napkin with the wiener roast
You're just posh totty aren't you?
Old May 20th 2010, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

lindaANDneil is a jewel in the roughlindaANDneil is a jewel in the roughlindaANDneil is a jewel in the roughlindaANDneil is a jewel in the rough

Hi

Well, we've been in Vancouver now for 5 whole weeks.
Vancouver is Vantastic!

It's expensive but I can see why, the sheer beauty of the place and it's surroundings is breathtaking. It's soooo clean! Since we came last March, things have improved around the city and it feels safer and more welcoming to us.

And today, my hubby got a job, a good one!

It makes me giggle when we smell the strong scent of weed on the beaches!
You can't drink openly on the beach - didn't know that so everyone has their vodka/beer in funny flasks or paper cups! I asked someone in a restaurant if they had any spirits (gin/vodka etc) and he thought I was asking if they had ghosts in the place!

We're still very disorientated, not made friends yet so will be attending the next Meet Up for sure.

Linda
Old May 21st 2010, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

FStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really nice

lindaANDneil,

We are moving to Van in August and are sooo pumped!! I am Canadian, hubby British. We should swap details and meet up once we get our there!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.