British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/anyone-else-massively-disappointed-canada-871359/)

Alan2005 Feb 1st 2016 12:54 am

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 11854757)
I didn't get on well living in Thailand

I liked it while the few years I was there. No way would I want to be there permanently though - minor irritations that are endearing at first become irritating after a while.

Shakyuk Feb 1st 2016 8:07 am

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by snoopdawg (Post 11852012)
Thats a nice trip- you'll see more bears in the Rockies though. Get up before dawn- and drive slowly down the Bow Valley parkway- pull over for the workers heading to work!!
Be patient- we have been up and down 2-3 times sometimes and seen nothing but we've also come across plenty of elk and lots of bears. One morning- about 6am ish I think- we spent maybe 30 mins right next to a mom and her cubs- 3 I think- whilst they played and looked for food by the road. Stinky got lots of photos whilst I drove- we never get out of the car- and we get off the road as much as we can. No other wildlife watchers arrived, a few locals drove by.
That was a magical start to a day. All my family, who were over from the UK and too lazy to get up with us, were quite jealous!

That said, we saw lots of other bears just driving around during the day and had a wolf run across the road in front of my car as we were heading home.

In The Okanagan- go on a winery tour- have a meal or two- some of the views from the restaurants are beautiful. Visit some of the Provincial Parks/lakes/beaches- be prepared for heat- June/July /August can reach late 30's, but it's a very dry heat.

There's also everywhere between here and the Rockies- Nakusp has a beautiful setting, New Denver is tiny but has some cute old buildings, Nelson is a great place to visit- full of hippies, nice lake/mountains. There are some ghost towns if you are into that. The views as you are driving are amazing.

Massively late reply but this thread has moved quickly! Thanks that sounds amazing! We're very able to get up early, did a tour around northern India late last year and got up around 5am too many times to catch trains!

Seeing wildlife like that would be amazing. Also wine, food and beautiful views are pretty much all we need!

Shakyuk Feb 1st 2016 8:50 am

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11852546)
Just to draw you over- you do need a job here which isnt always easy but some visitors to our garden . Snoop and I share a kennel in case you may not have sussed:cool: I take the snaps of the critters usually

The sandier/redder coloured black bear in the 2nd and last photo helped clean up the garden clippings- I was out there but saw her coming up from the lake through the edge of the neighbouring prov park, the middle darker one was sat on a garden pergola about 7 feet off the ground happily scoffing our grapes. They visited about a month apart.

The eagle.. well, what can one say? just a beautiful bird at the top of one of our trees.
Probably boring as crap to the likes of numerous posters within the thread- How the hell could we want to spend more than 7 years in such a beautiful place? Everyone needs to find what they like- certainly for the foreseeable future we are staying put and loving it here in our little patch of Canadian paradise- :cool:

Great photographs, that is definitely my kind of lifestyle. Seeing a bear coming to your garden must be scary but amazing!

I'm sold!

Shakyuk Feb 1st 2016 9:06 am

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by DrealDeel (Post 11854338)
Nicely understated.

This was a relatively carefully worded post about personal experience, with the necessary caveats in place to dissuade reactionary comments. If differing experiences could be provided without snarkiness and personal attacks, this would have been more informative. Instead we got 'no research, hanging with wrong people, why did you get PR, I'll take you to the airport'.
And when the OP defends herself against the unnecessary personal attacks, she is the bad guy? To be fair, it has been worse in the past - the enthusiastic leaping to the defence of your snarky mates, jumping on the personal criticism of OP bandwagon etc. Small mercies and all that.

Agreed, I think she has been harshly received.

vanity Feb 5th 2016 6:46 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11848983)
I've been here a little over two years, I was granted PR last November, I have a well paid job, great apartment downtown and I have made a decision to go back to London (UK).

My life will not be as comfortable as it is here (anyone who has ever lived in London knows how tough it is) but to me living in Toronto is soul destroying. I find people to be completely different and rather cold and very reserved, dating sucks too, I find Canadian men to be extremely passive and bland, even in my company nobody expects anything from anyone and it's always the bare minimum that gets done. It's like mediocrity is being encouraged and there is no place for individuality or over achievers. I never see Canadians discussing politics or any current events, nobody's interested in anything.

Toronto is great for a quiet family living. Not for young energetic ambitious individuals.

I don't want to offend anyone, these are my personal observations and I realize many people won't agree with me but I was wondering if anyone felt similar.

Haylee,

Sorry for any flack you've received - some people take these things very personally

Thanks for sharing your experience

Pizzawheel Feb 5th 2016 8:07 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11854752)
#BestFeatureEver

Make sure you rate all mine *****

Did Haylee ever get back to you about the pissup?

JamesM Feb 5th 2016 8:25 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel (Post 11859061)
Make sure you rate all mine *****

Did Haylee ever get back to you about the pissup?

Nope.

Not to date.

But the more the merrier.

rugbymum Feb 9th 2016 7:03 am

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 
Ok I'll say it again differently...... To please the moderators!

Please don't worry about the opinion of others who are just attacking you Haylee. You seemed to me to be looking for reassurance that you are not alone in being disappointed in Canada. - snip - My family has mixed opinions so I see both sides and try to be helpful and reasonable with advice - snip - . Some people have invested too much in time and effort to stay here to admit that it is not perfect. My original reply said this and addressed some of the more - snip - posters on here who - snip - . Unfortunately my comment was deleted to protect these peoples feelings (the poor sensitive souls!) ...... so that these people can continue to bully you without fear or retribution. - snip -All I can say (if you get to read this one) is chin up love. Try to only pay heed to the more balanced opinions, there are a few great posters out there. Enjoy the time you have left over here, take the good memories with you keep the friendships you have made and I hope that you enjoy wherever you end up.

christmasoompa Feb 9th 2016 7:23 am

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by rugbymum (Post 11861909)
Ok I'll say it again differently...... To please the moderators!

Please don't worry about the opinion of others who are just attacking you Haylee. You seemed to me to be looking for reassurance that you are not alone in being disappointed in Canada. - snip - My family has mixed opinions so I see both sides and try to be helpful and reasonable with advice - snip - . Some people have invested too much in time and effort to stay here to admit that it is not perfect. My original reply said this and addressed some of the more - snip - posters on here who - snip - . Unfortunately my comment was deleted to protect these peoples feelings (the poor sensitive souls!) ...... so that these people can continue to bully you without fear or retribution. - snip -All I can say (if you get to read this one) is chin up love. Try to only pay heed to the more balanced opinions, there are a few great posters out there. Enjoy the time you have left over here, take the good memories with you keep the friendships you have made and I hope that you enjoy wherever you end up.

Oh good grief! If you really think that that post was avoiding Site Rule 1 then you clearly haven't read it very carefully. I've just taken the time to remove all of the personal attacks from it, which I really shouldn't have to do.

You seem to be accusing others of belittling you for your views on Canada, but can't seem to see the irony in you doing exactly the same and calling them names in return.

Don't post in that manner again, if you have an issue with others on the site then please use the ignore button, that's what it's there for. Personal insults and attacks on others will NOT be tolerated.

Shard Feb 9th 2016 8:14 am

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11861916)
Oh good grief! If you really think that that post was avoiding Site Rule 1 then you clearly haven't read it very carefully. I've just taken the time to remove all of the personal attacks from it, which I really shouldn't have to do.

You seem to be accusing others of belittling you for your views on Canada, but can't seem to see the irony in you doing exactly the same and calling them names in return.

Don't post in that manner again, if you have an issue with others on the site then please use the ignore button, that's what it's there for. Personal insults and attacks on others will NOT be tolerated.

Quite. The line I liked was: "Some people have invested too much in time and effort to stay here to admit that it is not perfect" :rolleyes:

christmasoompa Feb 9th 2016 8:41 am

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11861950)
Quite. The line I liked was: "Some people have invested too much in time and effort to stay here to admit that it is not perfect" :rolleyes:

You should have seen the rest of it! :eek::lol:

dbd33 Feb 9th 2016 12:27 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11861978)
You should have seen the rest of it! :eek::lol:

Bring it on, what this country needs is more bitchery!

not2old Feb 9th 2016 12:35 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11861950)
Quite. The line I liked was: "Some people have invested too much in time and effort to stay here to admit that it is not perfect" :rolleyes:


Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11862154)
Bring it on, what this country needs is more bitchery!

whinging poms are the best at it :lol::lol:

Souvy Feb 9th 2016 12:47 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11862154)
Bring it on, what this country needs is more bitchery!

More than provincial politics already gives us?

Lordy!

Tirytory Feb 9th 2016 4:04 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11861950)
Quite. The line I liked was: "Some people have invested too much in time and effort to stay here to admit that it is not perfect" :rolleyes:

There's a country that's perfect.... Where is it? I want to go...

not2old Feb 9th 2016 4:09 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11862402)
There's a country that's perfect.... Where is it? I want to go...

'Britain' says the whinging poms that live in Canada

bats Feb 9th 2016 4:20 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11862410)
'Britain' says the whinging poms that live in Canada

Too much lemon on your pancakes today?. ;)

not2old Feb 9th 2016 4:33 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11862430)
Too much lemon on your pancakes today?. ;)


as I was having my pancakes & bacon for Breakfast today, I was thinking 'how two-faced, rude, arrogant, don't give a $hit, snobs' Brits are that live in the UK

Ash Wednesday tomorrow

Alan2005 Feb 9th 2016 4:41 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11862164)
whinging poms are the best at it :lol::lol:


Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11862410)
'Britain' says the whinging poms that live in Canada


Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11862439)
as I was having my pancakes & bacon for Breakfast today, I was thinking 'how two-faced, rude, arrogant, don't give a $hit, snobs' Brits are that live in the UK

Ash Wednesday tomorrow

This is trying to hard. You know, maybe it's time to move on.

BristolUK Feb 9th 2016 5:45 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11862430)
Too much lemon on your pancakes today?. ;)


Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11862439)

Ash Wednesday tomorrow

What? :eek:

It's usually in the 20s :confused:

(oops...it moves around more than I thought :o)

Shard Feb 9th 2016 6:33 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 
Yup had some pancakes. Not even homemade, as the supers are doing very nice Scottish style pancakes these days (and it's pretty much been pancake month chez Shard).

bats Feb 9th 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 
[QUOTE=BristolUK;11862490]What? :eek:

It's usually in the 20s :confused:

(oops...it moves around more than I thought :o)[/QUOTE

What's hard to remember? Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon following the 21st of March, so Lent starts 40 days before that. Or is it 40 days before Palm Sunday? Eek. I'll have to look it up.

Shard Feb 9th 2016 6:41 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 
[QUOTE=bats;11862528]

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11862490)
What? :eek:

It's usually in the 20s :confused:

(oops...it moves around more than I thought :o)[/QUOTE

What's hard to remember? Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon following the 21st of March, so Lent starts 40 days before that. Or is it 40 days before Palm Sunday? Eek. I'll have to look it up.

It actually depends on when the bunny is able to complete his chocolate egg production, so changes each year depending on worker rabbits.

BristolUK Feb 9th 2016 6:54 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11862528)
What's hard to remember? Easter is the first Sunday after the first full moon following the 21st of March, so Lent starts 40 days before that. Or is it 40 days before Palm Sunday? Eek. I'll have to look it up.

:rofl:
How does the blood moon fit in with this? ;)

How come Easter, Lent and stuff moves around but xmas is fixed? Why can't we have xmas in Jan or November?

BristolUK Feb 9th 2016 6:58 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Shard (Post 11862535)
It actually depends on when the bunny is able to complete his chocolate egg production, so changes each year depending on worker rabbits.

It was so much easier back in the UK. You just had to notice the advertising for Jif lemon.

I'm sure there were BE threads about it giving us advance warning too.

Shard Feb 9th 2016 7:09 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11862552)
It was so much easier back in the UK. You just had to notice the advertising for Jif lemon.

I'm sure there were BE threads about it giving us advance warning too.

Easter to be fixed to one date all the time, Archbishop Justin Welby says | Home News | News | The Independent

Partially discharged Feb 9th 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11862544)
:rofl:
How does the blood moon fit in with this? ;)

How come Easter, Lent and stuff moves around but xmas is fixed? Why can't we have xmas in Jan or November?

If people actually celebrated Easter for its original intention then they would know when it is to be celebrated. My daughter was in Spain a few years ago at Easter and it was a full on religious holiday complete with parades with people dressed up as though they were going to a Klan meeting.

For the secular population it is just some random 3 or 4 day long weekend with some vague celebration involving hunting for chocolate easter eggs which I can see how people can't figure it out.

Most calendars (paper or online) show it anyway.

caretaker Feb 9th 2016 7:32 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 
Happy holidays to all the believers, I can't find fault with anything called pancake day.

BristolUK Feb 9th 2016 7:52 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 11862572)
For the secular population it is just some random 3 or 4 day long weekend with some vague celebration involving hunting for chocolate easter eggs...

That comes after when they're half price. :o

Hot Cross Buns are my preference (preferably non-iced). Although I'd just as soon have an ordinary bun but they don't seem to do them here.

caretaker Feb 9th 2016 8:17 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 
Paska rules. Takes about a hundred eggs but oh boy is it good.

vanity Feb 9th 2016 8:23 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by rugbymum (Post 11861909)
Ok I'll say it again differently...... To please the moderators!

Please don't worry about the opinion of others who are just attacking you Haylee. You seemed to me to be looking for reassurance that you are not alone in being disappointed in Canada. - snip - My family has mixed opinions so I see both sides and try to be helpful and reasonable with advice - snip - . Some people have invested too much in time and effort to stay here to admit that it is not perfect. My original reply said this and addressed some of the more - snip - posters on here who - snip - . Unfortunately my comment was deleted to protect these peoples feelings (the poor sensitive souls!) ...... so that these people can continue to bully you without fear or retribution. - snip -All I can say (if you get to read this one) is chin up love. Try to only pay heed to the more balanced opinions, there are a few great posters out there. Enjoy the time you have left over here, take the good memories with you keep the friendships you have made and I hope that you enjoy wherever you end up.

Excellent post. More of you on BE would balance this place up :)

JamesM Feb 9th 2016 8:58 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 
It also happens to be National Pizza day.

Time to start eating!

caretaker Feb 9th 2016 9:08 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11862649)
It also happens to be National Pizza day.
Time to start eating!

Bit late to tell everyone... in the US National Pig Day is March 1.. It started out as a day to honour the animal that had helped sustain pioneers and settlers but the celebration soon deteriorated into an orgy of smoke and bbq sauce so Pig Day turned out to be really hard on the pigs.

not2old Feb 9th 2016 9:22 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11862594)
That comes after when they're half price. :o

Hot Cross Buns are my preference (preferably non-iced). Although I'd just as soon have an ordinary bun but they don't seem to do them here.

Panatone French toast with maple syrup with a few slices of crispy bacon beats all of the Pancakes, Waffles or Hot Cross buns hands down.:amen:

Panatone on special reduced in the supermarkets right now ;)

BristolUK Feb 9th 2016 10:49 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by caretaker (Post 11862618)
Paska rules. Takes about a hundred eggs but oh boy is it good.

I shall have to look into that. I have an idea my mother in law likes it but with a different name.


Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11862673)
Panatone French toast with maple syrup with a few slices of crispy bacon...

I wonder if that would work with Stollen?

Jsmth321 Feb 10th 2016 5:49 am

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11862552)
It was so much easier back in the UK. You just had to notice the advertising for Jif lemon.

I'm sure there were BE threads about it giving us advance warning too.

I always forget about Easter, not religious so have no clue why it's celebrated, and still forget the Friday before is an actual stat holiday and get annoyed with there is no mail.....ha ha

And the whole Easter Monday thing is odd to me as well.

None of it is a federally recognized holiday where I come from originally.

BristolUK Feb 10th 2016 11:37 am

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11862966)
I always forget about Easter...forget the Friday...the whole Easter Monday thing is odd to me as well.

I wonder what they do on Easter Island. :lol:

rugbymum Feb 10th 2016 10:56 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by jock_mcbile (Post 11850797)
This forum is anything but Canada's fan club. You will be popular here.

I disagree, I find that anyone who makes negative comments (Haylee in this case, but I have seen it many times) are subjected to all sorts of insults.

Or the more juvenile approach I note here ..... To smother the thread with completely irrelevant comments about pancakes and animal spottin this is passive aggressive and I believe that this demonstrates contempt for the original poster.

Shard Feb 10th 2016 11:20 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by rugbymum (Post 11863865)
I disagree, I find that anyone who makes negative comments (Haylee in this case, but I have seen it many times) are subjected to all sorts of insults.

Or the more juvenile approach I note here ..... To smother the thread with completely irrelevant comments about pancakes and animal spottin this is passive aggressive and I believe that this demonstrates contempt for the original poster.

I think when the disparaging remarks are aimed at Canadians as opposed to life in Canada, they tend to get shot down. Not by everyone, mind.

There's a healthy trade in negative comments about Canadian cheese, Canadian banks, Canadian driving, Canadian schools, Canadian workplaces.

Alan2005 Feb 10th 2016 11:42 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by rugbymum (Post 11863865)
I disagree, I find that anyone who makes negative comments (Haylee in this case, but I have seen it many times) are subjected to all sorts of insults.

Or the more juvenile approach I note here ..... To smother the thread with completely irrelevant comments about pancakes and animal spottin this is passive aggressive and I believe that this demonstrates contempt for the original poster.

:goodpost:

I can't believe these people always making stupid jokes in a passive/aggressive manner. Like and share this post on Facebook if you agree. I bet 99% of you won't.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:25 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.