Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Old Jan 27th 2016, 11:59 pm
Forum Regular

Haylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Originally Posted by Siouxie
If you liked the US so much, why did you come to Canada? Could you not get a work permit for the US instead?

I personally know of more than half a dozen people, in their 20's to early 30's, who have travelled extensively outside of Canada. Two went to live in Australia for a year; one continued on and travelled around the Far East on the way back, the other one went onto New Zealand for a few weeks. Another has just come back from backpacking around Europe - for the 3rd time. My Canadian step-daughter toured the UK and Europe staying at hostels and catching trains; 3 years ago she went to Costa Rica and worked volunteering at a rain forest reserve. My step-son also went to Australia, Hong Kong, then on a separate trip took in Europe including the Greek Isles. None of them consider going on weekend trips to the US as 'travelling' - more a weekend jaunt.

I have to wonder what's behind you wanting to join a forum about Canada just to complain at how much you dislike the people, the country and to denigrate just about every aspect.

No I could not get a working visa to US. And I come to this forum often to read, decided to post since I've made a decision to leave and as per my OP was wondering if anyone felt the same. Judging by the replies quite a few people do.

Are we not allowed to criticize Canada and voice our opinions? Should we only praise it? I didn't realize this was Canada's fan club forum.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jock_mcbile
Canada's minimum 2-week paid leave (minimum 3 weeks in Saskatchewan) is a disgrace and completely out of step with every other advanced country except the US, where, believe it or not, there is ZERO legal minimum - a US employer can technically offer its employees no paid vacation. Apparently this is one of the issues Obama is said to want to tackle now in his final year.
I was lucky in most jobs in the US, got anywhere from 2 to 3 weeks, and most allowed employees to trade shifts, so as long as we had our shift covered they didn't really care who was there.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:04 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Haylee32
No I could not get a working visa to US. And I come to this forum often to read, decided to post since I've made a decision to leave and as per my OP was wondering if anyone felt the same. Judging by the replies quite a few people do.

Are we not allowed to criticize Canada and voice our opinions? Should we only praise it? I didn't realize this was Canada's fan club forum.
Of course you are allowed to voice your opinion, however, it's somewhat unusual for a first post to be a negative one in a forum that's all about Canada.

You might find the "moving back to the UK" forum of interest too.

Moving back to the UK - British Expats
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:09 am
Banned

jock_mcbile has a reputation beyond reputejock_mcbile has a reputation beyond reputejock_mcbile has a reputation beyond reputejock_mcbile has a reputation beyond reputejock_mcbile has a reputation beyond reputejock_mcbile has a reputation beyond reputejock_mcbile has a reputation beyond reputejock_mcbile has a reputation beyond reputejock_mcbile has a reputation beyond reputejock_mcbile has a reputation beyond reputejock_mcbile has a reputation beyond repute

This forum is anything but Canada's fan club. You will be popular here.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can criticize and make comments but also you should be prepared to receive negative feedback as well.
BE members come and go and those of us who stick around see it all. I have lost count on the amount of Brits who came here and went back to the UK within a 2 year period with the same complaints you have. Some did research others didn't and guess what in another 5 years this will still be a topic just different posters.
Sure some have been shafted by employers or ex spouses but if I was to take an educated guess the most popular reason of an expat going back is that they miss family and friends regardless of if they made friends in Canada.
Unless I win the lottery I won't be planning on moving back to the UK but thats my choice.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:15 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

I have to wonder what's behind you wanting to join a forum about Canada just to complain at how much you dislike the people, the country and to denigrate just about every aspect.

One of the reasons I come on here

Let of steam!
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:25 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yes you can criticize and make comments but also you should be prepared to receive negative feedback as well.
BE members come and go and those of us who stick around see it all. I have lost count on the amount of Brits who came here and went back to the UK within a 2 year period with the same complaints you have. Some did research others didn't and guess what in another 5 years this will still be a topic just different posters.
Sure some have been shafted by employers or ex spouses but if I was to take an educated guess the most popular reason of an expat going back is that they miss family and friends regardless of if they made friends in Canada.
Unless I win the lottery I won't be planning on moving back to the UK but thats my choice.
To be fair I quite openly ask Canadians why they live here.

If you're not snowboarding or golfing you may as well move to London. More money and prospects, bars and restaurants.

The OP clearly wants the latter.

This forum is a place for all view points. It always has been. Toronto deserves a lot of negative feedback. The city and it's locals spend far too much time trying to blow heat up their own arses. Too many of them need to get out of the bubble.

My experience of Toronto is generally positive but I don't half miss good banter some days and I know my direct approach in the work place is hard for the cradles.

In Toronto you really do need to find a couple of good hobbies with likeminded people to get on. In London you can meet good people through work- that is harder and less likely here.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 12:30 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I found it to be rather oppressive.
Granted, the tall glass building thing the have going on in the city does gives it a monolithic look. But there are trees, lakes, mountains, rivers, beaches etc nearby. It might not be your cup of tea, but if you like that kind of nature shit (which I do for the most part) Vancouver is well situated.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 1:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jack_Judge
So there's nothing significantly different from Vancouver in a range of several thousand miles?
This is one benighted part of the world.
My daughter in Vancouver goes to Mexico City quite often, I imagine that's different to America and it's reasonably near.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 1:26 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
To be fair I quite openly ask Canadians why they live here.

If you're not snowboarding or golfing you may as well move to London. More money and prospects, bars and restaurants.

The OP clearly wants the latter.

This forum is a place for all view points. It always has been. Toronto deserves a lot of negative feedback. The city and it's locals spend far too much time trying to blow heat up their own arses. Too many of them need to get out of the bubble. ....
Toronto, Canada's answer to Charlotte, NC. The biggest difference, aside from the weather, is that in Charlotte you can get from building to building in the downtown area on the first floor level, not in the basement!
Old Jan 28th 2016, 1:53 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I just can't figure out how anyone pays for all the travel. Boggles my mind, but I guess I am not 20, and I didn't have the ability to travel and work around the world..... I had no idea those type of things existed when I was young enough, now I am too old, so all in the past now.

My daughter has decided her 1st year of travel will be a WHV to Australia, for her 21st Birthday we have said when she's got the money saved we will buy her flights. Following Aus, she is looking at China and the UK - who knows? She was all for going to school before travel, I said if she really wants to travel, do it before student debt, probably odd advice from a Mum
Old Jan 28th 2016, 2:30 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

"Canadians are introverted" 😂 I have been called a lot of things in my 53 years but introverted is definitely not one of them.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 3:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
My daughter has decided her 1st year of travel will be a WHV to Australia, for her 21st Birthday we have said when she's got the money saved we will buy her flights. Following Aus, she is looking at China and the UK - who knows? She was all for going to school before travel, I said if she really wants to travel, do it before student debt, probably odd advice from a Mum
Yep. Once that student debt hits all bets are off for a few years...

I am not even sure if the US plays nice enough for USC's to get WHV in various countries, but had I even known they existed if they did back in my youngster days, I would have looked into it.

By the time I knew of their existence, I was well into my 30's....and had commitments in life that wouldn't have let me go anyhow....
Old Jan 28th 2016, 3:35 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Yep. Once that student debt hits all bets are off for a few years...

I am not even sure if the US plays nice enough for USC's to get WHV in various countries, but had I even known they existed if they did back in my youngster days, I would have looked into it.

By the time I knew of their existence, I was well into my 30's....and had commitments in life that wouldn't have let me go anyhow....
I hear you. By the time I realised I could've travelled it was too late - other comittments ( namely the one who is now 21 ). Now I plan to have enough savings to see places later in life as well as the odd holiday beforehand.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

discouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant futurediscouraged has a brilliant future

These are my personal observations and I don't think I am being unfair, I came here excited with an open heart and after 2 years this is the opinion I will be leaving with.
You are not being unfair. You certainly have my respect for having the courage and honesty to say what you think - you clearly invested considerable time, effort and money into moving to Canada and as such you are more than entitled to express an opinion based upon your own personal experiences. Take no notice of the fan boys (and girls) who criticise you for doing so - some of them probably feel the same as you but because of the considerable time, effort and money they have invested, lack the courage to admit it.

FWIW, it took me 5 years to reach the same conclusions as you because I wanted to give it the best possible chance and be sure, but in truth I saw the signs much earlier than that. Best wishes for the future.

Last edited by discouraged; Jan 28th 2016 at 3:52 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.