British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/anyone-else-massively-disappointed-canada-871359/)

Oink Jan 28th 2016 6:21 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Its not that there's no culture here its just that its bland and a bit rubbish.

Shakyuk Jan 28th 2016 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by snoopdawg (Post 11851704)
So Shakyuk- come on over- there appears to be plenty leaving so there's lots of room:rofl:

Get me a job and I will!
I'm driving across from Vancouver to Calgary in July. I think I'll check out your area and say hi to the bears :)
Sounds like a nice place.

Alan2005 Jan 28th 2016 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11851852)
It debates like this one that makes me miss certain posters. :(

Back in the day, we'd have one or two of these on the go most of the time. But, sadly, these threads are rare now (which probably explains why everyone is joining in with such gusto).

snoopdawg Jan 28th 2016 6:40 pm

Go and have an afternoon on your boat- that'll cheer you up- you have to admit you've posted some beautiful photos even if you were slightly inebriated!

I'm happier though- sorry- I felt like a deviant at a meeting in a church hall- sat in a circle- then standing and saying " My name's Snoopdawg and I love Canada"!

Re architecture- I haven't been to Toronto - apart from the airport- I'm not sure I would like it. I think I would love Montreal, Quebec City though.
Calgary is boring but what a view! Vancouver has lots of nice bits and one of the best settings for a city anywhere in the world- taking off / landing at the airport on a nice day is just beautiful.
The "city" I live in is an architectural disaster - but everyone in it is just minutes from beautiful countryside.
There are lots of crap towns/cities in the UK- arguable more than here- some of those are minutes from countryside as well and beautiful villages.
I love wild countryside so I'm happy here.

Oink Jan 28th 2016 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by snoopdawg (Post 11851896)
Go and have an afternoon on your boat- that'll cheer you up- you have to admit you've posted some beautiful photos even if you were slightly inebriated!

I'm happier though- sorry- I felt like a deviant at a meeting in a church hall- sat in a circle- then standing and saying " My name's Snoopdawg and I love Canada"!

snip

I love wild countryside so I'm happy here.

No one is suggesting that its wrong to like where you live. Most on here would be pleased that you and your family are happy. That's a good thing. :)

Oh, and I strongly resent the word "slightly". :frown:

JamesM Jan 28th 2016 7:03 pm

UltraRunner?

Oink Jan 28th 2016 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11851934)
Ultrarunner?

dboy springs to mind. He was a fervent advocate for everything Canadian.

Alan2005 Jan 28th 2016 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11851937)

He probably lurks every now and then.

He was a great poster, but it's probably for the best that he got banned. Dude would have had a coronary by now otherwise.

JamesM Jan 28th 2016 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11851937)

The copper?

The James Forcillo trial thread would have given him ulcers.

Photoplex Jan 28th 2016 7:16 pm

I anticipate every visit back to the UK with great joy.

It's only when I get there that I remember how crowded, cramped, claustrophobic, miserable, and downtrodden the whole place has become.

I then anticipate my return "home" greatly.

It's only when I get back to Canada do I realize what I really miss about the UK. Friends, family, and the general camaraderie that personifies life on that little island. That can mean only one thing - scheme on how to convince them to move here!

JamesM Jan 28th 2016 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Photoplex (Post 11851958)
I anticipate every visit back to the UK with great joy.

It's only when I get there that I remember how crowded, cramped, claustrophobic, miserable, and downtrodden the whole place has become.

I then anticipate my return "home" greatly.

A few nights on the lash, a few cornish pasties, some shit service at the bar, proper chips with my fish and a full english and I'm usually ready to get back to Tdot. Britain is all about the culinary experience for me.

Besides the girls at Hooters would be lost without me.

Photoplex Jan 28th 2016 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11851960)
A few nights on the lash, a few cornish pasties, some shit service at the bar, proper chips with my fish and a full english and I'm usually ready to get back to Tdot. Britain is all about the culinary experience for me.

That just about sums it up perfectly.

Haylee32 Jan 28th 2016 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11851960)

Fir enough. I miss fashion (non existant here), vibrant night life, people who like to get drunk, all sorts of nationalities, dating and great career opportunities. I actually prefer food in Toronto.

Alan2005 Jan 28th 2016 7:57 pm

How can you miss fashion? They have lulu lemon and baseball caps here.

R I C H Jan 28th 2016 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11851994)
Fir enough. I miss fashion (non existant here), vibrant night life, people who like to get drunk, all sorts of nationalities, dating and great career opportunities. I actually prefer food in Toronto.

What's preventing you from dressing in a way you feel is fashionable? It's so subjective surely there's nothing to prohibit you expressing yourself via fashion however you like. Do you feel you need your fashion sense to also be reflected (copied) by the society you live in?

Stinkypup Jan 28th 2016 8:02 pm

Maybe it isn't just Canada, maybe you yourself have some involvement in your hatred of the place and your inability to integrate seemingly in any way may have actually exacerbated the problem. I'm not sure that you acknowledge this at all. You also seem a little too free with your generalisations.

Alan2005 Jan 28th 2016 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 11852003)
What's preventing you from dressing in a way you feel is fashionable? It's so subjective surely there's nothing to prohibit you expressing yourself via fashion however you like. Do you feel you need your fashion sense to also be reflected (copied) by the society you live in?

If you rely on the high street for your clothes there is a fashion mono-culture here (there's a very narrow range of styles). Buying on-line solves most of these problems though.

snoopdawg Jan 28th 2016 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by Shakyuk (Post 11851858)
Get me a job and I will!
I'm driving across from Vancouver to Calgary in July. I think I'll check out your area and say hi to the bears :)
Sounds like a nice place.

Thats a nice trip- you'll see more bears in the Rockies though. Get up before dawn- and drive slowly down the Bow Valley parkway- pull over for the workers heading to work!!
Be patient- we have been up and down 2-3 times sometimes and seen nothing but we've also come across plenty of elk and lots of bears. One morning- about 6am ish I think- we spent maybe 30 mins right next to a mom and her cubs- 3 I think- whilst they played and looked for food by the road. Stinky got lots of photos whilst I drove- we never get out of the car- and we get off the road as much as we can. No other wildlife watchers arrived, a few locals drove by.
That was a magical start to a day. All my family, who were over from the UK and too lazy to get up with us, were quite jealous!

That said, we saw lots of other bears just driving around during the day and had a wolf run across the road in front of my car as we were heading home.

In The Okanagan- go on a winery tour- have a meal or two- some of the views from the restaurants are beautiful. Visit some of the Provincial Parks/lakes/beaches- be prepared for heat- June/July /August can reach late 30's, but it's a very dry heat.

There's also everywhere between here and the Rockies- Nakusp has a beautiful setting, New Denver is tiny but has some cute old buildings, Nelson is a great place to visit- full of hippies, nice lake/mountains. There are some ghost towns if you are into that. The views as you are driving are amazing.

snoopdawg Jan 28th 2016 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11851913)
No one is suggesting that its wrong to like where you live. Most on here would be pleased that you and your family are happy. That's a good thing. :)

Oh, and I strongly resent the word "slightly". :frown:

Sorry- but who knows who might be reading this ;)

snoopdawg Jan 28th 2016 8:08 pm

You obviously weren't at our office party!!
I had to tip well- at least I think I did!

Siouxie Jan 28th 2016 8:09 pm

I think you are mixing with the wrong people and are in the wrong place, lol. My son, who is the same age as you, has no issues finding people to get drunk with or to go out clubbing, pubbing or whatever; mixes with people from all over the world and, whilst the fashion is a little behind here, has no problem with ordering clothes from overseas if the needs arise. As to dating, he doesn't have any difficulties there either! He's been offered promotion to a management position, so it seems the career opportunity is covered as well.

;)

ChrisBan Jan 28th 2016 8:13 pm

Certainly didn't have any problem with this, even if the beer is awful :drinkingpals:

Tirytory Jan 28th 2016 8:13 pm

I agree fashion is what you want to wear and you can order whatever you like online if you're prepared to pay for your already established preferences.

So culture to you is people who like to get drunk? I have to say I don't miss the insidious peer pressure drink culture there is in the UK at all. I dare say my liver is slightly happier too.

Alan2005 Jan 28th 2016 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11852021)
I have to say I don't miss the insidious peer pressure drink culture there is in the UK at all.

I do :rofl:

snoopdawg Jan 28th 2016 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11852017)
I think you are mixing with the wrong people and are in the wrong place, lol. My son, who is the same age as you, has no issues finding people to get drunk with or to go out clubbing, pubbing or whatever; mixes with people from all over the world and, whilst the fashion is a little behind here, has no problem with ordering clothes from overseas if the needs arise. As to dating, he doesn't have any difficulties there either! He's been offered promotion to a management position, so it seems the career opportunity is covered as well.

;)

I was just going to say the same thing- our eldest pup is 21- almost 22- he's making his home in Victoria for now. He definitely has no problems finding people to go out pubbing/clubbing/getting drunk with. He's lazy, so can't be bothered buying many clothes!
His work Xmas do ended at 5am. I believe he was drinking and enjoying himself with actual real Canadians, apparently it was a good night.

JonboyE Jan 28th 2016 8:23 pm

Anyone spot the sock puppet?

And I agree, if you can't find a Canadian to get drunk with your are really not trying.

Alan2005 Jan 28th 2016 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by JonboyE (Post 11852032)
Anyone spot the sock puppet?

I wish sock puppets were allowed. With a new level of anonymity my BE alt account would be hilarious and amazing.

Photoplex Jan 28th 2016 8:32 pm

I think a big part of this is that at 32 years old (I think that's what you said anyway) most of your peers have started - or are planning to start - families and settling down.

If you're still looking to drop pills and party til 8am then you're really going to be happier in NY, LA, London, Paris etc.

Haylee32 Jan 28th 2016 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 11852003)

lack of shopping options for once.

Oink Jan 28th 2016 8:33 pm

Its not just getting drunk, its the laugh that goes with it. That's almost non existent here, mainly because they don't have much of a sense of humour so can't really do banter. Last week I was out with a few people and I was humorously bantering about how incredibly fat this bloke in our group was and he got the hump, no sense of humour at all. Then later I was trying to chat up some girls at the bar but they must of been lesbians because they were rather standoffish as well. One of our group did manage to fall into the umbrella stand when we were leaving which was funny so the evening wasn't a complete loss.

Haylee32 Jan 28th 2016 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11852007)
Maybe it isn't just Canada, maybe you yourself have some involvement in your hatred of the place and your inability to integrate seemingly in any way may have actually exacerbated the problem. I'm not sure that you acknowledge this at all. You also seem a little too free with your generalisations.

What hatred? LOL, I did tell you I came here excited and with an open heart. Why are you telling me Im unable to integrate? Are you trying to insult me because I criticized the place you like? I have integrated in several other places just fine, Canada just isn't for me. That's me. It's my right not to like it. If readign about it bothers you then stop reading this thread.

Haylee32 Jan 28th 2016 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11852017)

;)

You don't get it. I can find people to get drunk here with or go pubbing, I can find guys to go on dates, but it's all painfully boring. Canadians are stiff even when they are drunk.

Haylee32 Jan 28th 2016 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11852021)
I agree fashion is what you want to wear and you can order whatever you like online if you're prepared to pay for your already established preferences.

So culture to you is people who like to get drunk? I have to say I don't miss the insidious peer pressure drink culture there is in the UK at all. I dare say my liver is slightly happier too.

No, not a culture but part of it, vibrant nightlife and pub culture are just that - parts of british culture. I like energetic intense cities like New York or New Orleans. Toronto doesn't have that.

Alan2005 Jan 28th 2016 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 11852046)
Last week I was out with a few people and I was humorously bantering about how incredibly fat this bloke in our group was and he got the hump, no sense of humour at all.

Fat people are inherently funny. It used to be that they'd adopt a jolly persona to go along with the humourousness of the situation. Recently though, I've noticed a whiff of militancy about them; so now I just laugh behind their backs.

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11852055)
You don't get it. I can find people to get drunk here with or go pubbing, I can find guys to go on dates, but it's all painfully boring. Canadians are stiff even when they are drunk.

inb4 erection jokes

Haylee32 Jan 28th 2016 8:42 pm

Its not just getting drunk, its the laugh that goes with it. That's almost non existent here, mainly because they don't have much of a sense of humour so can't really do banter..

^^this

Siouxie Jan 28th 2016 8:43 pm

Its not just getting drunk, its the laugh that goes with it. That's almost non existent here, mainly because they don't have much of a sense of humour so can't really do banter. Last week I was out with a few people and I was humorously bantering about how incredibly fat this bloke in our group was and he got the hump, no sense of humour at all. Then later I was trying to chat up some girls at the bar but they must of been lesbians because they were rather standoffish as well. One of our group did manage to fall into the umbrella stand when we were leaving which was funny so the evening wasn't a complete loss.

Really? I've some Canadian friends who have the banter and insults down to a fine art - and the more they drink, the more outrageous they get with them.

Which reminds me of a story my sons friend, who up until recently lived in Kelowna told me. He went out with a group of Canadians for a night out up near Big White - 2 days later, he vaguely recalled swimming starkers in a complete strangers pool (the owners were not even home) and taking the piss out of everyone. He said they were joining in with the banter and made him laugh so hard he fell arse over tit on the street.

Perhaps it's all down to who you are with (or how much alcohol they've imbibed).

:p

JamesM Jan 28th 2016 8:43 pm

Fashion is non-existent in Canada! Retail is a much blander experience n Canada all together.

Toronto is probably just as multi-cultural as London though. Most evidence would point to it being more so. That is why the food is better.

The 10 Most Multicultural Cities in the World

There are people who want to get drunk every where.

I don't dispute any of your other points.

It seems to me that despite your love of travel you have an issue with meeting people and assimilating. There is nothing wrong with this what so ever. You don't know until you try.

You are probably safer basing yourself in Britain and having trips rather than upping sticks and trying a new culture on a permanent basis.

JamesM Jan 28th 2016 8:45 pm

We had a good crowd at my local at one point.

An Irish, An Aussie, A Newfy and a Texan. Made for some good convo.

It can be hard to push the boundaries sometimes that is for sure.

Haylee32 Jan 28th 2016 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11852065)
Fashion is non-existent in Canada!

Toronto is probably just as multi-cultural as London though. Most evidence would point to it being more so.

The 10 Most Multicultural Cities in the World

There are people who want to get drunk every where.

I don't dispute any of your other points.

It seems to me that despite your love of travel you have an issue with meeting people and assimilating. There is nothing wrong with this what so ever. You don't know until you try.

You are probably safer basing yourself in Britain and having trips rather than upping sticks and trying a new culture on a permanent basis.

Well I don't because whenever I go to US I meet loads of people and hang out with them, I have actually made some good friends in the US through random nights out.

I have lived in Australia for a year when I was 23, didn't have any problems there either. made lods of friends.

I'm sorry but I just find Canadians to be boring and very reserved.

not2old Jan 28th 2016 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11852055)

You've mentioned, the lack of culture, or that shops or shopping is terrible, lack of sense of humour & the dating scene is boring.

Since being here, have you dated non-Canadian blokes, what about any Brits living in Canada that you've socialized with, are they also boring?

And, what about Europeans... surely there must be someone or type of person in Canada that's up to your 'high thrill, not the boring type' standard like that you'd find back home in blighty?