Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Old Jan 26th 2016, 6:17 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Originally Posted by Haylee32
I've been here a little over two years, I was granted PR last November, I have a well paid job, great apartment downtown and I have made a decision to go back to London (UK).

My life will not be as comfortable as it is here (anyone who has ever lived in London knows how tough it is) but to me living in Toronto is soul destroying. I find people to be completely different and rather cold and very reserved, dating sucks too, I find Canadian men to be extremely passive and bland, even in my company nobody expects anything from anyone and it's always the bare minimum that gets done. It's like mediocrity is being encouraged and there is no place for individuality or over achievers. I never see Canadians discussing politics or any current events, nobody's interested in anything.

Toronto is great for a quiet family living. Not for young energetic ambitious individuals.

I don't want to offend anyone, these are my personal observations and I realize many people won't agree with me but I was wondering if anyone felt similar.
No one talking politics, no young energetic folk running around, quiet family living, passive lifestyle no over achievers wow I wanna live there !!! Oh hold on I do
Old Jan 26th 2016, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Haylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
You'd kind of expect that in a country's major city. Canada has to be one the most dull and uninspiring cultures ever invented. I had the misfortune of having to teach courses in a MA program that had both US and Canadian students. The Americans pissed all over the Canadians when it came to depth of knowledge, creativity and willingness to work hard. The one thing they excelled at was moaning about having to do any work.
I see the exact same trend in my office. Huge office, lots of people, no common sense and no imagination, complaints to HR all the time about smallest silly things because people are scared to talk to each other about things that bother them.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 6:22 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree, I think financially Toronto is million times more affordable than London.
I agree, I used to live in London myself, but you could address that very high cost of living within the UK, by moving to the north or far west. You don't need to move overseas to reduce your cost of living, but my point was more directed to those who think they can leave a town in the UK far from London and move to Canada, the US, Australia, NZ, etc. and necessarily slash their cost of living. They can't.

Anyway as you yourself have discovered, you found a price you had to pay albeit a non-financial price. And that was at the heart of my post above - if you go overseas looking for one thing alone, such as a lower cost of living, you might find that other aspects of your "new life" become extremely disappointing.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 6:25 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I see the exact same trend in my office. Huge office, lots of people, no common sense and no imagination, complaints to HR all the time about smallest silly things because people are scared to talk to each other about things that bother them.
It'd be tolerable if they understood and were honest about their shortcomings but they seem to have built up a myth about how great they are that has no bearing on reality. The best they can really come up with is to point out the occasional Canadian in the film or entertainment industry. "Oooh look, he/she's Canadian eh?"
Old Jan 26th 2016, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto great for quiet family living? Have I missed something?
Old Jan 26th 2016, 6:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisBan
Toronto great for quiet family living? Have I missed something?
You may dozed off. Are you in Toronto?
Old Jan 26th 2016, 8:03 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Not being the US seems to be the biggest accomplishment in many Canadian eyes. Lol

Once you accept and realize Canada isnt the same as whatever country your from its a more tolerable place.

With such a small population over such a huge land mass, Canada just wont have the same offerings.

Originally Posted by Oink
It'd be tolerable if they understood and were honest about their shortcomings but they seem to have built up a myth about how great they are that has no bearing on reality. The best they can really come up with is to point out the occasional Canadian in the film or entertainment industry. "Oooh look, he/she's Canadian eh?"
Old Jan 26th 2016, 8:32 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321

Once you accept and realize Canada isnt the same as whatever country your from its a more tolerable place.

With such a small population over such a huge land mass, Canada just wont have the same offerings.
there are choices, from Monaco or Mongolia

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li...lation_density
Old Jan 26th 2016, 9:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I wasnt talking population density. I was talking of physical size of the country of which Canada is 2nd largest in the world by size but with a small population spread over a huge distance.

Originally Posted by not2old
there are choices, from Monaco or Mongolia

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li...lation_density
Old Jan 26th 2016, 10:26 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
...Monaco or Mongolia...
Monaco please.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 11:05 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree, I think financially Toronto is million times more affordable than London.
It depends on ones profession.

Restaurants, fuel and property are cheaper than in London.

Alcohol not so.

But I know in my profession I could earn in pounds what people want to pay me here in dollars.

What terrifies me about moving back to London is getting on the tube during rush hour again, long commutes and having to elbow my way to get served at the bar.

That being said I also golf and snowboard a lot here. In London I'd get drunk, eat out and be a much fatter human being.

You seem to have given the place a decent stint and certainly there is more work opportunities in London if that is more important.

I'd actually prefer to have a family in England. Mainly because in England commuter towns have a bit more to them than they do in Canada and your children are more exposed to the realities of the world.

Last edited by JamesM; Jan 26th 2016 at 11:13 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 2:29 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is 21. We are encouraging her to travel. I see her at 21 and compare what she is doing to what I was doing at that age - She needs to go and experience some life. Thankfully she wants to travel! Admittedly we do live in Red Deer so o comparison to Toronto, but there is nothing here for young adults apart from early marriage and babies and getting nails done. YAWN.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 2:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
My daughter is 21. We are encouraging her to travel. I see her at 21 and compare what she is doing to what I was doing at that age - She needs to go and experience some life. Thankfully she wants to travel! Admittedly we do live in Red Deer so o comparison to Toronto, but there is nothing here for young adults apart from early marriage and babies and getting nails done. YAWN.
I did a fair amount of travel in my early 20's, but wish I had done more, mostly more out of North America travel.

That said I got to fly free or nearly free, had it not been for that would have been impossible to travel due to high cost.

I think many young people would like to travel more then they do, they just lack the funds to leave this continent and such.

I haven't figured out if UK and Australian youth are better off money wise, or if they are just all wealthy vs their Canadian and US counterparts.

Canada has grown on me, I actually feel odd when in San Diego now, the amount of people, the faster pace of life seems odd to me now.....lol...But there is still a lot I do miss about home that just isn't possible here, but such is life. Life is a compromise if you don't want to spend it alone.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Jan 27th 2016 at 2:40 am.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 4:10 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I did a fair amount of travel in my early 20's, but wish I had done more, mostly more out of North America travel.

That said I got to fly free or nearly free, had it not been for that would have been impossible to travel due to high cost.

I think many young people would like to travel more then they do, they just lack the funds to leave this continent and such.

I haven't figured out if UK and Australian youth are better off money wise, or if they are just all wealthy vs their Canadian and US counterparts.
From my experience of global travelling in my late teens and early 20's, and more recently as an employer of similarly aged individuals (mostly Aussies, Kiwis, and Europeans), I wouldn't say US counterparts aren't any less well off at all. They generally appear more insular (less adventurous) and reluctant to make the commitment (lifestyle compromises) that travel/work require at that age.

The vast majority that I employ live hand to mouth each month, save a little to fund experiences and further travel they have ambition for. All the Americans I've employed have been funded by the bank of Mum and Dad, live in expensive slope-side condos for the season and appear far more privileged.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 4:17 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by R I C H
From my experience of global travelling in my late teens and early 20's, and more recently as an employer of similarly aged individuals (mostly Aussies, Kiwis, and Europeans), I wouldn't say US counterparts aren't any less well off at all. They generally appear more insular (less adventurous) and reluctant to make the commitment (lifestyle compromises) that travel/work require at that age.

The vast majority that I employ live hand to mouth each month, save a little to fund experiences and further travel they have ambition for. All the Americans I've employed have been funded by the bank of Mum and Dad, live in expensive slope-side condos for the season and appear far more privileged.
I just can't figure out how anyone pays for all the travel. Boggles my mind, but I guess I am not 20, and I didn't have the ability to travel and work around the world..... I had no idea those type of things existed when I was young enough, now I am too old, so all in the past now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.