British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/anyone-else-massively-disappointed-canada-871359/)

Siouxie Jan 27th 2016 4:14 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11850190)

I don't see how you can tar a whole huge country with one brush. Since for the most part Canadians are first/second/third generation immigrants then I guess "their boring, grey, culture less lives" are descended from well us, the immigrants that went before us...

Anyhow I don't recognize the picture you paint. Many of my friends here are very political, and it's discussed freely. My conversations revolve around what's happening in the world, both serious matters/world events or about books etc. A lot of my friends here, Canadians have travelled far more extensively than I. I guess I met like minded people much the same as I did back in the UK. There are always people everywhere who don't want to delve too deep into more serious matters. It's not a Canadian thing, it's a people thing.

You also can't compare friendships founded over decades where you discussed everything and anything to new friendships especially when you're bridging another culture. How much effort do you make to find out information about what's important to Canadian culture or politics?

:goodpost:

+1

Souvy Jan 27th 2016 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 11850121)
Well they haven't qualified for the World Cup since 1986 so yeah Im disappointed.
They are crap at cricket but less so in Rugby. They do quite well on the Curling and Iced Hockey front and are usually better in the Winter Olympics as opposed to the summer Olympics.
The country consistently ranks in one of the best countries to live in from a variety of surveys.
Canada is not for everyone neither are the UK, Australia the US or any other country.

I guess you don't follow hockey. The Canadian teams are shite at the moment.

There is a famous hockey player called Gordy Howe. He has given his name to the "Gordy Howe hat trick" (a goal, an assist and a fight in the same game).

I can see a new version of this coming up. The "Montreal Flop". This would apply to a team that manages to be both top and bottom of the league during the same season. The Habs are certainly heading that way.

Partially discharged Jan 27th 2016 4:31 pm

I don't see how you can tar a whole huge country with one brush. Since for the most part Canadians are first/second/third generation immigrants then I guess "their boring, grey, culture less lives" are descended from well us, the immigrants that went before us...

Anyhow I don't recognize the picture you paint. Many of my friends here are very political, and it's discussed freely. My conversations revolve around what's happening in the world, both serious matters/world events or about books etc. A lot of my friends here, Canadians have travelled far more extensively than I. I guess I met like minded people much the same as I did back in the UK. There are always people everywhere who don't want to delve too deep into more serious matters. It's not a Canadian thing, it's a people thing.

You also can't compare friendships founded over decades where you discussed everything and anything to new friendships especially when you're bridging another culture. How much effort do you make to find out information about what's important to Canadian culture or politics?

All of that said, I certainly want my children to go and travel, and I'm certainly planning on travelling a lot more. We live in a lovely place to bring up children which is a bit like being on holiday, skiing, all the water sports in the summer etc but it's not a place for a young adult. I've always wanted to take the kids on a gap year around India, Thailand, Australia etc. Now that's something to day dream about..

Totally agree with what you say. To complain that Canada is boring and grey and devoid of culture is a bit rich from somebody who came from a country where Lowry and Morrissey were celebrated on a cultural level.

I have met people like the BC resident has mentioned here in Canada but I tend to avoid a lot of contact with them and seek out more interesting and worldly people/places.

There are insular people in the UK as well..ie. those who only run shops for 'locals'.

dbd33 Jan 27th 2016 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 11850216)
Totally agree with what you say. To complain that Canada is boring and grey and devoid of culture is a bit rich from somebody who came from a country where Lowry and Morrissey were celebrated on a cultural level.

"I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour but heaven knows I'm miserable now."

It's a universal sentiment speaking to the human condition, it addresses the immediate concerns of the factory folk who's prospects in life are best expressed by making them thin almost to the point of vanishing. Besides, Manchester hardly represents the entire United Kingdom.

By contrast, we have

"The glittering prizes and endless compromises shatter the illusion of integrity, yeah!"

which is hypocritical gibberish and we have pictures of rocks and we have songs about cod.

Partially discharged Jan 27th 2016 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11850265)
. Besides, Manchester hardly represents the entire United Kingdom.

By contrast, we have

"The glittering prizes and endless compromises shatter the illusion of integrity, yeah!"

which is hypocritical gibberish and we have pictures of rocks and we have songs about cod.

You wouldn't happen to be from south of the Watford Gap would you????

I recognized the glittering prizes quote (urgh..I'll need some brain bleech now).

You could use these lyrics the next time somebody is wanting a recommendation on which is better...Milton or Bramalea or Milliken

In the basement bars,In the backs of cars,Be cool or be cast out
Any escape might help to smooth the unattractive truth
But the suburbs have no charms to soothe the restless dreams of youth

Paul_Shepherd Jan 27th 2016 5:16 pm

All of that said, I certainly want my children to go and travel, and I'm certainly planning on travelling a lot more. We live in a lovely place to bring up children which is a bit like being on holiday, skiing, all the water sports in the summer etc but it's not a place for a young adult. I've always wanted to take the kids on a gap year around India, Thailand, Australia etc. Now that's something to day dream about..

:goodpost:

Very well put, to be fair it all depends on where the individual ends up working and living, and what type of people they meet combined with what they expected from Canada in the first place.

Ive experienced the grey boring Canadains, but these are the type of people would be grey and boring British people too.

Originally what i thought was my disadvantage on moving to Canada - the town i lived in, has actually become my ADVANTAGE, because i looked at life through a different pair of eyes.

I have a circle of great Canadian friends now that constantly talk about music, politics and current affairs to name a few and have great senses of humour, different to my British friends yes, but Britain and Canada are different places and are different people, they share a language and queen and thats where it ends.

I dont think i would have met the people i now call friends a big city, cities are great for nights out, dining, shows and the buzz it gives you to be amongst it all in the big city smoke, I was in TO for a long weekend a couple of weeks ago....had a great time, but I couldnt live there, i find it hard to meet people in big city scenarios, its too big to form any kind of community feel, everyone has their own agenda and doesnt have the time to go into any depth with people they meet, as you probably never meet the same person twice.

dbd33 Jan 27th 2016 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Partially discharged (Post 11850279)
You wouldn't happen to be from south of the Watford Gap would you????

Only people from the north have heard of the Watford Gap, I had to look it up after seeing it mentioned here. In England generally one views the area beyond Watford, the actual Watford with Vicarage Road, as being remote, like Saskatchewan. It'd be interesting to know, if there are people living between Watford and the Watford Gap, if they view themselves as being in a kind of purgatory, forever dreaming of moving past Watford, dreading moving past the Watford Gap.

Siouxie Jan 27th 2016 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 11850305)
Only people from the north have heard of the Watford Gap, I had to look it up after seeing it mentioned here. In England generally one views the area beyond Watford, the actual Watford with Vicarage Road, as being remote, like Saskatchewan. It'd be interesting to know, if there are people living between Watford and the Watford Gap, if they view themselves as being in a kind of purgatory, forever dreaming of moving past Watford, dreading moving past the Watford Gap.

You made me splutter my coffee!

:lol:

"I wandered lonely as a cloud..."

PMM Jan 27th 2016 6:06 pm

Hi

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11849563)
I just can't figure out how anyone pays for all the travel. Boggles my mind, but I guess I am not 20, and I didn't have the ability to travel and work around the world..... I had no idea those type of things existed when I was young enough, now I am too old, so all in the past now.

1. This will give away my age, but in 1969 it was time to tour Europe for 5 months. To fund the trip, I worked at a regular job during the week and drove taxi in Vancouver on the weekends. Saved every penny earned from driving.
2. In 69 Fromer's Europe on $5 a day was actually possible (for lodging/food) Stayed at the London Tourist Club in Earl's Court, £1.10 per night bed and breakfast. Ate at the Hott Pott, the original Hott Pott, the ABC cafeterias, for less than 10 shillings, attended plays in the Gods for 7&6. Drank for about 2&6 for a pint.
3. Picked up work doing evictions.
4. Rode the trains. Spent time in Ibiza at a shared apartment for less than a $1.00 a night, went to Bullfights, sat in the SOL cheap seats, drank spanish plonk where the deposit on the bottle was more than the wine. Lived on bread and cheese a lot of the time.
5. I look at my nieces and nephews and their travel, supported by the bank of mom and dad, they would never stay at a youth hostel, too restricting, never travel, or stay in sketchy areas. The don't know what they are missing.

JamesM Jan 27th 2016 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 11850300)
as you probably never meet the same person twice.

You'd be surprised.

Oink Jan 27th 2016 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 (Post 11849563)
I just can't figure out how anyone pays for all the travel. Boggles my mind, but I guess I am not 20, and I didn't have the ability to travel and work around the world..... I had no idea those type of things existed when I was young enough, now I am too old, so all in the past now.

You haven't missed much. Traveling in your youth is just an excuse for a piss up and drug fest where their parents aren't watching. Americans just do that stuff in college. :)

Haylee32 Jan 27th 2016 7:46 pm

I am not tagging anything, I am just saying it's my personal impression. I have made a lot of effort to get involved in Canadian politics but Canadian politics are a bit boring and also I find that apart from Canada people have no intererest about what's going on outside of it.

As for friendships I am not talking about super close friends you know for decades. Just willingness and being open to making new friends. If you go to US Americans tend to go out of their way to srtike up a conversation and get you involved in their circle, ask you out for drinks etc. Here, not at all. People act suspicious if you ask them to hang out or say hello.

I also do not agree with Canadians traveling a lot. I have met all kind of people here, from hipsters to Bay street crowd to College St crowd and King West yuppies, a lot of them haven't been anywhere apart from Cuba and Mexico. I hear many times that they would like to go here or there but they are scared because it's dangerous which makes me laugh.

These are my personal observations and I don't think I am being unfair, I came here excited with an open heart and after 2 years this is the opinion I will be leaving with.

JamesM Jan 27th 2016 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11850503)

I also do not agree with Canadians traveling a lot. I have met all kind of people here, from hipsters to Bay street crowd to College St crowd and King West yuppies, a lot of them haven't been anywhere apart from Cuba and Mexico. I hear many times that they would like to go here or there but they are scared because it's dangerous which makes me laugh.

It's harder for Canadians to travel because there is less vacation days. Drives me nuts. Now with the weak dollar it will be even worse.

I never really had any interest in Canadian politics until I was allowed to vote here.

What have been your best sources for meeting people in Canada?

Alan2005 Jan 27th 2016 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11850515)
It's harder for Canadians to travel because there is less vacation days. Drives me nuts.

I never really had any interest in Canadian politics until I was allowed to vote here.

I'm interested in the local politics in as far as it gets booze in the supermarkets and if I get to pay less tax.

Haylee32 Jan 27th 2016 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11850515)
It's harder for Canadians to travel because there is less vacation days. Drives me nuts. Now with the weak dollar it will be even worse.

What have been your best sources for meeting people in Canada?

Excuses, excuses. With so many fabulous destinations within only few hours of flight they are spoilt for choice. I have managed to see most of the US since I moved here mostly flying away for weekend (or extended weekend) breaks.

Also gap years. For so many young people in their mid twenties I have met here who still live with their parents I was surprised none of them wanted to go backpacking for few months.

Novocastrian Jan 27th 2016 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11850521)
Excuses, excuses. With so many fabulous destinations within only few hours of flight they are spoilt for choice. I have managed to see most of the US since I moved here mostly flying away for weekend (or extended weekend) breaks.

Also gap years. For so many young people in their mid twenties I have met here who still live with their parents I was surprised none of them wanted to go backpacking for few months.

I first moved there when I was your age, but with a family which at that time consisted of three (counting me and the OH). If I'd been single, I would have left or committed suicide.

As it turned out, we stayed for four years and then ran away back to Europe. Eight years later, I had two very interesting job offers, one in Germany and one back in Toronto. I chose Toronto "for the children".

Mistake. On all sorts of levels.

Haylee32 Jan 27th 2016 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11850533)
I first moved there when I was your age, but with a family which at that time consisted of three (counting me and the OH). If I'd been single, I would have left or committed suicide.

As it turned out, we stayed for four years and then ran away back to Europe. Eight years later, I had two very interesting job offers, one in Germany and one back in Toronto. I chose Toronto "for the children".

Mistake. On all sorts of levels.

Really? How come? I think Toronto is great to raise children, safe, clean, green etc. Even their teenagers look like they don't rebel.

Tirytory Jan 27th 2016 8:25 pm

Well you can leave feeling ultimately superior to those Canadians can't you;)

Novocastrian Jan 27th 2016 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11850551)
Really? How come? I think Toronto is great to raise children, safe, clean, green etc. Even their teenagers look like they don't rebel.

That's what I thought too. But it was a career destroying move for their parents and the children would likely have done better in Germany (or the UK).

Novocastrian Jan 27th 2016 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11850552)

Canadians are OK. Just not very.

Haylee32 Jan 27th 2016 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11850552)

I see you are taking it personally, no need for that. I'm sure there are many people who think that the UK is a dump and it's ok, it doesn't bother me.

Oink Jan 27th 2016 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11850551)

That's part of the problem you don't get much creativity and innovation from conformity.

Tirytory Jan 27th 2016 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11850568)
I see you are taking it personally, no need for that. I'm sure there are many people who think that the UK is a dump and it's ok, it doesn't bother me.

Err no:rofl:

I like the UK, it has a lot of good things going on. You say you're not tarring all Canadians and yet you've made sweeping generalizations in a superior manner. It made me laugh that's all.

Stinkypup Jan 27th 2016 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11850568)

You have voiced your opinion, others have voiced theirs, the expected voices I have to say. TiryTory was voicing hers and it wasn't unreasonable, maybe what you think tbh doesn't bother her but YOU asked for an opinion and you got it. Opinions are very polarised on this topic- those who are very happy with this country probably just cant be arsed to rise to the bait. Wow, you must have seriously travelled to have seen most of the US in that short time.. maybe there is more to the place than just the major tourist attractions. Rather like North Americans who "do Europe" in 3 weeks

Alan2005 Jan 27th 2016 8:52 pm

Do other people not feel superior? I know I do - it's a great feeling.

JamesM Jan 27th 2016 8:54 pm

There's not that many destinations within a few hours. I'd hardly classify going to the US as going abroad or any great shift in culture or experience. I have enjoyed some of the cities down there.

I don't know why more Canadians don't do the gap year though. Certainly the ones you meet who have done are a bit more clued up.

My critique in Ontario is they spend too much free time at cottages by dull lakes. This seems to be hereditary and a habit/ hobby that I don't find particularly appealing.

I attend one cottage a year like I attend one wedding a year.

JamesM Jan 27th 2016 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 11850601)
Do other people not feel superior? I know I do - it's a great feeling.

It is hard to be modest when you know that you are the best.

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 27th 2016 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11850503)
I am not tagging anything, I am just saying it's my personal impression. I have made a lot of effort to get involved in Canadian politics but Canadian politics are a bit boring and also I find that apart from Canada people have no intererest about what's going on outside of it.

As for friendships I am not talking about super close friends you know for decades. Just willingness and being open to making new friends. If you go to US Americans tend to go out of their way to srtike up a conversation and get you involved in their circle, ask you out for drinks etc. Here, not at all. People act suspicious if you ask them to hang out or say hello.

These are my personal observations and I don't think I am being unfair, I came here excited with an open heart and after 2 years this is the opinion I will be leaving with.

Cuba and Mexico are warm climates and within a reasonable flight from Canada, and with limited vacation time people have, and it's no real surprise people stay closer to home with trips there or to Hawaii or other US warm climates.

It's also a lot more expensive to take a family elsewhere in the world, even at 1,000 per person to some random European location, that is still 4,000 just to get there, add in food, accommodations and etc, the cost is prohibitive to a large amount of people.

Add in weaker currency, it becomes even harder. Going to say the UK right now for a Canadian, they will lose about 50% of their money in the exchange rate, hard to take a vacation somewhere when your going to lose that much value in the exchange.

Jack_Judge Jan 27th 2016 9:01 pm

Excuses, excuses. With so many fabulous destinations within only few hours of flight they are spoilt for choice.

Where exactly are these fabulous destinations? I've been stuck in Vancouver for a few years and I would dearly love to travel somewhere where the culture is significantly different. Correction, I would love to travel somewhere with some actual culture but there's rock all out here.

scrubbedexpat091 Jan 27th 2016 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisBan (Post 11850610)
Crippling student debt for those who took out loans from a financial institution would be my only guess

Probably a good guess, along with money earned having to go towards school, and living costs.

Parents likely can't fully fund the education and a gap year unless fairly well off.

Graduating college with the debt load many have then going into relatively low paying jobs for years doesn't help either.

Tirytory Jan 27th 2016 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11850598)
You have voiced your opinion, others have voiced theirs, the expected voices I have to say. TiryTory was voicing hers and it wasn't unreasonable, maybe what you think tbh doesn't bother her but YOU asked for an opinion and you got it. Opinions are very polarised on this topic- those who are very happy with this country probably just cant be arsed to rise to the bait. Wow, you must have seriously travelled to have seen most of the US in that short time.. maybe there is more to the place than just the major tourist attractions. Rather like North Americans who "do Europe" in 3 weeks

Quite, although clearly you only need a few days there, you know just to say you've been there;)

Stinkypup Jan 27th 2016 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11850620)
Quite, although clearly you only need a few days there, you know just to say you've been there;)

Did you get that Idiots guide to Diplomacy I sent you TT??:rofl:

JamesM Jan 27th 2016 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Jack_Judge (Post 11850612)
Where exactly are these fabulous destinations? I've been stuck in Vancouver for a few years and I would dearly love to travel somewhere where the culture is significantly different. Correction, I would love to travel somewhere with some actual culture but there's rock all out here.

San Fran is probably my favourite US City.

Chicago is like Toronto but they care about what buildings they put up.

Boston and Washington are ok city breaks and have some history.

Been to NYC too many times. The place does nothing for me although I'm sure it is better to live there than be a tourist or in town on business.

Tirytory Jan 27th 2016 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11850622)
Did you get that Idiots guide to Diplomacy I sent you TT??:rofl:

Na:p I don't need that do I?:rofl:

Jack_Judge Jan 27th 2016 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11850627)

Been to NYC too many times. The place does nothing for me although I'm sure it is better to live there than be a tourist or in town on business.

So there's nothing significantly different from Vancouver in a range of several thousand miles?
This is one benighted part of the world.

JamesM Jan 27th 2016 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jack_Judge (Post 11850646)
So there's nothing significantly different from Vancouver in a range of several thousand miles?
This is one benighted part of the world.

The bucket might be a different colour. The stuff in it is the same.

jock_mcbile Jan 27th 2016 9:50 pm

Look, Canadians are the most introverted in the English-speaking. The UK, the US, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa...all are extroverted by nature. Canada is the outlier. It isn't surprising this creates quite a bit of culture shock. In temperament, Canadians are more similar to the Swiss or the Swedes, and doubtless you probably find those countries boring as well.

The introversion also means it is more difficult to connect with people, so newcomers need to make a bit more of an effort. Not everyone is up to going that extra mile, which is fine. But it's not necessary to slag off a more reserved culture just because it is different from your own.

Oink Jan 27th 2016 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11850627)

I lived in NYC but I found it too hot, too cold and too noisy. DC is not a bad place to live apart from the obvious scar of racial divide and the naffing tourists. The best thing about the US is being able to sit on a warm and sunny beach in the winter fairly cheaply and being able to buy beer and wine at a petrol station.

Novocastrian Jan 27th 2016 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Jack_Judge (Post 11850612)

That's it in a nutshell. You can of course affordably go to a "resort" in Cuba, Mexico or even Costa Rica where the cultures are rather different, but you'll likely not experience them if you're a Canadian.

Nah, I'm here for the pool and the rum.

Alan2005 Jan 27th 2016 10:31 pm

You don't come to Vancouver for the culture. That's crazy.

You come for the scenery which is actually really quite nice.