British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/anyone-else-massively-disappointed-canada-871359/)

Novocastrian Jan 28th 2016 9:28 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 
This is a very odd thread.

Probably a perfect example of the "sunken assets syndrome".

In my early days in Toronto I found it quite a change from California, a bit of a half-way house between there and the UK I'd left several years earlier.

Several decades later, it was still like the UK I'd left several decades earlier, but the UK, it turns out, had moved on.

*shock*

JamesM Jan 28th 2016 9:28 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11852129)
in the time that I have lived in Canada, I never ever got to go to either of those 'boring' outings

One mate had an inflatable bar and we'd get incredibly drunk and sun burnt drinking in the lake all day.

Then his wife banned me.

But usually I avoid these things. As I said up thread one cottage a year.

There are no real beaches in Canada and it is illegal to drink on them anyway. If you want beaches go to Australia or Southend (ammended for Novocastrian!).

Different people for different needs in Canada.

ChrisBan Jan 28th 2016 9:29 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11852136)
One mate had an inflatable bar and we'd get incredibly drunk and sun burnt drinking in the lake all day.

Then his wife banned me.

But usually I avoid these things. As I said up thread one cottage a year.

There are no real beaches in Canada and it is illegal to drink on them anyway. If you want beaches go to Australia or South End.

:rofl: #troublemaker

JamesM Jan 28th 2016 9:32 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11852134)
This is a very odd thread.

Probably a perfect example of the "sunken assets syndrome".

In my early days in Toronto I found it quite a change from California, a bit of a half-way house between there and the UK I'd left several years earlier.

Several decades later, it was still like the UK I'd left several decades earlier, but the UK, it turns out, had moved on.

*shock*

This thread is lively.

That's kind of where it ends.

We all know Canadians are a bit on the odd side.

We also know Toronto is a little plain for many things.

Novocastrian Jan 28th 2016 9:34 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11852136)
If you want beaches go to Australia or South End.

The South End of what? Or did you mean Southend?

JamesM Jan 28th 2016 9:35 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by ChrisBan (Post 11852137)
:rofl: #troublemaker

She once had it out with me because I referred to gypsies as errrrrrrrr gypsies.

Her past involved a previous marriage where an English man had walked out on her.

I really have no idea how my Canadian mate ended up with her.

MarylandNed Jan 28th 2016 9:35 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11852142)
This thread is lively.

That's kind of where it ends.

We all know Canadians are a bit on the odd side.

We also know Toronto is a little plain for many things.

And we also know that many people don't agree with you. :)

JamesM Jan 28th 2016 9:36 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11852146)
The South End of what? Or did you mean Southend?

Yup.

The second one.

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

JamesM Jan 28th 2016 9:39 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 
Right I'm off to the gym.

There is a reason I look like David Hasselhoff.

You're in charge Ned!

MarylandNed Jan 28th 2016 9:41 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11851994)
Fir enough. I miss fashion (non existant here), vibrant night life, people who like to get drunk, all sorts of nationalities, dating and great career opportunities. I actually prefer food in Toronto.

You do know that most people who live in Toronto weren't even born in Canada, right? It's one of the most multicultural cities on the planet. If you can't mix with "all sorts of nationalities" in Toronto, where can you?

Novocastrian Jan 28th 2016 9:42 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11852152)
Right I'm off to the gym.

There is a reason I look like David Hasselhoff.

You're in charge Ned!

I am an eye witness James. Don't forget that.

Ever.

Oink Jan 28th 2016 9:43 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11852136)
One mate had an inflatable bar and we'd get incredibly drunk and sun burnt drinking in the lake all day.

Then his wife banned me.

But usually I avoid these things. As I said up thread one cottage a year.

There are no real beaches in Canada and it is illegal to drink on them anyway. If you want beaches go to Australia or Southend (ammended for Novocastrian!).

Different people for different needs in Canada.

I've had a few of them but strangely enough they were all in the US and I was younger. I'd get, "I like you, I just don't like you with my husband." To be fair, the last time was when we went out for a few cheeky drinks on a Friday evening in DC and came back Monday morning after finding our way to Atlanta and his wife finding a temporary membership card to a gentlemen's entertainment club in his coat pocket. :unsure:

Alan2005 Jan 28th 2016 9:44 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 11852134)
This is a very odd thread.

You should come up to the peanut gallery. From here this thread is gold.

MarylandNed Jan 28th 2016 9:45 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11852055)
Canadians are stiff even when they are drunk.

That's a bad thing? ;)

humanist Jan 28th 2016 9:45 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?
 

Originally Posted by Alan2005 (Post 11852158)
You should come up to the peanut gallery. From here this thread is gold.

Sure beats the QROPS thread for entertainment


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:52 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.