British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/anyone-else-massively-disappointed-canada-871359/)

not2old Jan 28th 2016 9:07 pm

Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11852089)
It's the assimilation of the individual.

Expecting people around them to change with out investing anything themselves.

The sense of humour in Canada is different but so is the tolerance. It is probably the biggest cultural thing about the place that makes it so different from other places. Some people aren't cut out for all cultures and can't adapt.

Agree & like a foreigner (even those boring Canadians & Americans) going to the UK, whinging & complaining Britain sucks, lack of service, attitude, the yobs & chavs, cost of things, the weather etc.

Easy answer, if one can't assimilate - then 'on your horses', who needs you.

JamesM Jan 28th 2016 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11852097)
I am not saying all canadians are boring but the general vibe of the place after living here for 2 years is to me. Even lets say bars, strangersdont really talk to each other. If I go to US its normal to say hello and strike up a conversation. It's the atmosphere.

My friend told me it's because Canadians who are raised here are always warned as kids to be careful, not to talk to strangers etc, and also the fact that they prefer to get stoned instead of drinking.

Alcohol, say about it whatever you want, losens up people and brings them together. Weed not so much.

And yes, some things about Canada are great - clean, green, sporty, tolerant, open minded etc.

This is all very odd to me.

At my local pubs we do loads of social stuff. Get drunk. Play Golf. Egg Chuck Sunday mornings if you want.

The banter isn't as good as it was with my mates back home but the sense of community is strong.

I certainly never had bars this active when I lived in Clapham. "The Alfred" in Farnham isn't bad.

I think you need to look inside rather than outside (in the nicest possible way).

Tirytory Jan 28th 2016 9:09 pm

I am not saying all canadians are boring but the general vibe of the place after living here for 2 years is to me. Even lets say bars, strangersdont really talk to each other. If I go to US its normal to say hello and strike up a conversation. It's the atmosphere.

My friend told me it's because Canadians who are raised here are always warned as kids to be careful, not to talk to strangers etc, and also the fact that they prefer to get stoned instead of drinking.

Alcohol, say about it whatever you want, losens up people and brings them together. Weed not so much.

And yes, some things about Canada are great - clean, green, sporty, tolerant, open minded etc.

But in fact you have said that on more than one occasion. You could just say do you know what, the specific part of Canada I've lived in isn't for me? But you seem to feel the need to place the blame somewhere as if you've failed. It's not a failing to want to live somewhere else.!

Siouxie Jan 28th 2016 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11852055)
You don't get it. I can find people to get drunk here with or go pubbing, I can find guys to go on dates, but it's all painfully boring. Canadians are stiff even when they are drunk.

I am not saying all canadians are boring but the general vibe of the place after living here for 2 years is to me. Even lets say bars, strangers dont really talk to each other. If I go to US its normal to say hello and strike up a conversation. It's the atmosphere.

Oh I do get it. You are mixing with the wrong people or else are just not finding connections with anyone.

I can walk into any pub in the surrounding towns to where I live and people talk to me. People talk to me when I am outside smoking, sitting at a table inside or out, sitting at the bar or just hanging - regardless.

I've never found anyone reluctant to talk - even if it's me striking up a conversation - nor too afraid to talk to a stranger. Strange.

You are generalising again by saying "Canadians". I can assure you I have met many 'Canadians' who aren't boring, are outgoing, funny, gregarious and are up for a laugh - drunk or sober - and yes, I've met a few boring ones too! It's the way it is - a mixed bag where ever you live.

I get that you are not happy, that Canada isn't for you.. but perhaps you could also comment about the things you do like as well as the things you don't? You have said that you like the open mindedness and I agree, I've found people, generally, here are very tolerant - apart from a few racist arseholes that I have come across. There's aspects of living here that I don't care for that much, but if I was as unhappy as you appear to be I would have left long ago.

JamesM Jan 28th 2016 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11852094)
That is a weird pick-Where to put it nicely drunks litter the streets and there is an overpowering stench of piss- great place to visit, photogenic yes-live there, not if you value your life

Haha.

New Years Eve in Wimbledon was a horror show this year.

I love seeing my mates but give me table service and Hooters girls over the minimum wage bad teethed UK bar tender and elbows to get served any time.

JamesM Jan 28th 2016 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11852105)
Agree & like a foreigner (even those boring Canadians & Americans) going to the UK, whinging & complaining Britain sucks, lack of service, attitude, the yobs & chavs, cost of things, the weather etc.

Easy answer, if one can't assimilate - then 'on your horses', who needs you.

That is why you travel. You can ride in and out on your horse with a small taste, usually positive because you're spending too much holiday money.

When you actually go and live somewhere you have to meet the place at least half way.

Haylee32 Jan 28th 2016 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Tirytory (Post 11852108)
But in fact you have said that on more than one occasion. You could just say do you know what, the specific part of Canada I've lived in isn't for me? But you seem to feel the need to place the blame somewhere as if you've failed. It's not a failing to want to live somewhere else.!

No, I have highlighted from the start that it's my personal point of view and this is how I feel. And it is. If Canadians tell me that Toronto is the most exciting, most vibrant city in Canada then I will take their word for it. So if this is as good as it gets then yeah, it's a disappointment. This is my impression based not on hear say, but on me being here for over 2 years, and attending many house and beach parties, events, boat parties etc, speaking to people and working in a large canadian corporation downtown.
I just can't feel the energy. That's it.

JamesM Jan 28th 2016 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Siouxie (Post 11852111)

I can walk into any pub in the surrounding towns to where I live and people talk to me. People talk to me when I am outside smoking, sitting at a table inside or out, sitting at the bar or just hanging - regardless.

Piss tank!

:rofl:

:scarper:

Tirytory Jan 28th 2016 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Haylee32 (Post 11852115)
No, I have highlighted from the start that it's my personal point of view and this is how I feel. And it is. If Canadians tell me that Toronto is the most exciting, most vibrant city in Canada then I will take their word for it. So if this is as good as it gets then yeah, it's a disappointment. This is my impression based not on hear say, but on me being here for over 2 years, and attending many house and beach parties, events, boat parties etc, speaking to people and working in a large canadian corporation downtown.

Well I guess I had a better two years than you then...

Siouxie Jan 28th 2016 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11852116)
Piss tank!

:rofl:

:scarper:

Drinking coffee of course!!

(not)

:p

not2old Jan 28th 2016 9:20 pm

No, I have highlighted from the start that it's my personal point of view and this is how I feel. And it is. If Canadians tell me that Toronto is the most exciting, most vibrant city in Canada then I will take their word for it. So if this is as good as it gets then yeah, it's a disappointment.

This is my impression based not on hear say, but on me being here for over 2 years, and attending many house and beach parties, events, boat parties etc, speaking to people and working in a large canadian corporation downtown.

and you have to stay till September - it must be eating away at you to not be in a vibrant city?

JamesM Jan 28th 2016 9:22 pm

If Canadians tell me that Toronto is the most exciting, most vibrant city in Canada then I will take their word for it.

No sane person would listen to this bollocks. Torontonians do spend too much time trying to justify why they live in Toronto. These band wagon folk are best avoided.

You should not be spending time on still laked boats and at house/beach party's as it's kind of a boring way to choose to spend one's time.

Stinkypup Jan 28th 2016 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11852123)
and you have to stay till September - it must be eating away at you to not be in a vibrant city?

SHE DOESNT HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!:sneaky: Apparently...;)

not2old Jan 28th 2016 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by JamesM (Post 11852124)
No sane person would listen to this bollocks. Torontonians do spend too much time trying to justify why they live in Toronto. These band wagon folk are best avoided.

You should not be spending time on still laked boats and at house/beach party's as it's kind of a boring way to choose to spend one's time.

in the time that I have lived in Canada, I never ever got to go to either of those 'boring' outings

not2old Jan 28th 2016 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Stinkypup (Post 11852126)
SHE DOESNT HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!:sneaky: Apparently...;)

title of the thread is ..."Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada", when she really means 'the dating scene'