Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Old Jan 28th 2016, 8:09 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Originally Posted by Haylee32
Fir enough. I miss fashion (non existant here), vibrant night life, people who like to get drunk, all sorts of nationalities, dating and great career opportunities. I actually prefer food in Toronto.
I think you are mixing with the wrong people and are in the wrong place, lol. My son, who is the same age as you, has no issues finding people to get drunk with or to go out clubbing, pubbing or whatever; mixes with people from all over the world and, whilst the fashion is a little behind here, has no problem with ordering clothes from overseas if the needs arise. As to dating, he doesn't have any difficulties there either! He's been offered promotion to a management position, so it seems the career opportunity is covered as well.

Old Jan 28th 2016, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

ChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond reputeChrisBan has a reputation beyond repute

Fir enough. I miss fashion (non existant here), vibrant night life, people who like to get drunk, all sorts of nationalities, dating and great career opportunities. I actually prefer food in Toronto.
Certainly didn't have any problem with this, even if the beer is awful
Old Jan 28th 2016, 8:13 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I agree fashion is what you want to wear and you can order whatever you like online if you're prepared to pay for your already established preferences.

So culture to you is people who like to get drunk? I have to say I don't miss the insidious peer pressure drink culture there is in the UK at all. I dare say my liver is slightly happier too.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 8:15 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I have to say I don't miss the insidious peer pressure drink culture there is in the UK at all.
I do
Old Jan 28th 2016, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I think you are mixing with the wrong people and are in the wrong place, lol. My son, who is the same age as you, has no issues finding people to get drunk with or to go out clubbing, pubbing or whatever; mixes with people from all over the world and, whilst the fashion is a little behind here, has no problem with ordering clothes from overseas if the needs arise. As to dating, he doesn't have any difficulties there either! He's been offered promotion to a management position, so it seems the career opportunity is covered as well.

I was just going to say the same thing- our eldest pup is 21- almost 22- he's making his home in Victoria for now. He definitely has no problems finding people to go out pubbing/clubbing/getting drunk with. He's lazy, so can't be bothered buying many clothes!
His work Xmas do ended at 5am. I believe he was drinking and enjoying himself with actual real Canadians, apparently it was a good night.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 8:23 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone spot the sock puppet?

And I agree, if you can't find a Canadian to get drunk with your are really not trying.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 8:30 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Anyone spot the sock puppet?
I wish sock puppets were allowed. With a new level of anonymity my BE alt account would be hilarious and amazing.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 8:32 pm
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Photoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond reputePhotoplex has a reputation beyond repute

I think a big part of this is that at 32 years old (I think that's what you said anyway) most of your peers have started - or are planning to start - families and settling down.

If you're still looking to drop pills and party til 8am then you're really going to be happier in NY, LA, London, Paris etc.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Haylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
What's preventing you from dressing in a way you feel is fashionable? It's so subjective surely there's nothing to prohibit you expressing yourself via fashion however you like. Do you feel you need your fashion sense to also be reflected (copied) by the society you live in?
lack of shopping options for once.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 8:33 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Its not just getting drunk, its the laugh that goes with it. That's almost non existent here, mainly because they don't have much of a sense of humour so can't really do banter. Last week I was out with a few people and I was humorously bantering about how incredibly fat this bloke in our group was and he got the hump, no sense of humour at all. Then later I was trying to chat up some girls at the bar but they must of been lesbians because they were rather standoffish as well. One of our group did manage to fall into the umbrella stand when we were leaving which was funny so the evening wasn't a complete loss.

Last edited by Oink; Jan 28th 2016 at 8:35 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Haylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stinkypup
Maybe it isn't just Canada, maybe you yourself have some involvement in your hatred of the place and your inability to integrate seemingly in any way may have actually exacerbated the problem. I'm not sure that you acknowledge this at all. You also seem a little too free with your generalisations.
What hatred? LOL, I did tell you I came here excited and with an open heart. Why are you telling me Im unable to integrate? Are you trying to insult me because I criticized the place you like? I have integrated in several other places just fine, Canada just isn't for me. That's me. It's my right not to like it. If readign about it bothers you then stop reading this thread.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie

You don't get it. I can find people to get drunk here with or go pubbing, I can find guys to go on dates, but it's all painfully boring. Canadians are stiff even when they are drunk.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I agree fashion is what you want to wear and you can order whatever you like online if you're prepared to pay for your already established preferences.

So culture to you is people who like to get drunk? I have to say I don't miss the insidious peer pressure drink culture there is in the UK at all. I dare say my liver is slightly happier too.
No, not a culture but part of it, vibrant nightlife and pub culture are just that - parts of british culture. I like energetic intense cities like New York or New Orleans. Toronto doesn't have that.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Oink
Last week I was out with a few people and I was humorously bantering about how incredibly fat this bloke in our group was and he got the hump, no sense of humour at all.
Fat people are inherently funny. It used to be that they'd adopt a jolly persona to go along with the humourousness of the situation. Recently though, I've noticed a whiff of militancy about them; so now I just laugh behind their backs.

You don't get it. I can find people to get drunk here with or go pubbing, I can find guys to go on dates, but it's all painfully boring. Canadians are stiff even when they are drunk.
inb4 erection jokes

Last edited by Alan2005; Jan 28th 2016 at 8:43 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 8:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Oink
Its not just getting drunk, its the laugh that goes with it. That's almost non existent here, mainly because they don't have much of a sense of humour so can't really do banter..
^^this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.