Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Old Jan 30th 2016, 8:35 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Originally Posted by Shard
Ditto.
I dunno as I haven't read every post. Maybe no particular one is overly ad-hominem or what have you, but the cumulative weight of posts criticizing the OP (along with the passive/aggresive creation of the mirror thread) does make us look a little bit reactionary and defensive.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 9:55 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I dunno as I haven't read every post. Maybe no particular one is overly ad-hominem or what have you, but the cumulative weight of posts criticizing the OP (along with the passive/aggresive creation of the mirror thread) does make us look a little bit reactionary and defensive.
I read the whole pack (belatedly) and tend to agree with you. Nevertheless it's a two way street and I think Shirtback's comment is valid.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 10:24 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
If she needs a ride to the airport on departure day I'm more than happy to accommodate her, free of charge.
Make him do it, shame him into doing it or if not practicable make him pony up the cash for cab and tip to cover his boast. It's the Canadian way.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 11:13 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Haylee32
I suggest you stop suspecting and start reading.
My job is fine, no romance went tits up. I'm way too level headed to be getting emotional over a man to the point id actually leave a country. To suggest such thing is rather sexist especially that I have already explained my reasons.

Is it really so hard to believe that someone might not like living in Canada? Impossible, right? Because you love it so much your tiny teeny brain could not possibly comprehend that someone might feel differently.
I disliked living here for several years after we arrived and would have gone back if it were possible. Now almost 10 years later I like my life here.

You're young, you don't have to hang around it it isn't for you. Life is too short to waste on crap relationships whether with a country or a human.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 12:24 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
Make him do it, shame him into doing it or if not practicable make him pony up the cash for cab and tip to cover his boast. It's the Canadian way.
I've only ever had good experiences with Toronto Airport Limo drivers.

One time I landed in Canada and my bank cards didn't work. The fella not only dropped me at destination but gave me $20 to buy dinner.

Then at Christmas when I went back to Blighty. I was on the lash till 3am. When the Limo arrived to pick me up at 6am the guy took one look at me and then ran across the road to Tim Hortons to buy me a coffee and muffin.

Make sure you get the "extras"......
Old Jan 31st 2016, 12:38 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I disliked living here for several years after we arrived and would have gone back if it were possible. Now almost 10 years later I like my life here.

You're young, you don't have to hang around it it isn't for you. Life is too short to waste on crap relationships whether with a country or a human.
Yup. Nothing wrong with missing London at all. I miss things often.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 6:09 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
They get black widows in their garden too mind😳
Ok TT, I found this going through my hard drives- it isn't however Sasqwatch, a badger or a moose which will disappoint Oink but I think I will live with that.

Stinky bounded down the path just down from us and leaped at high(ish) speed right over the little fella shown below. He won that game of chicken!

A Northern Pacific rattlesnake- a baby... and so was I
Attached Thumbnails Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?-image.jpg  

Last edited by Stinkypup; Jan 31st 2016 at 6:32 am.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

DrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Nicely understated.

This was a relatively carefully worded post about personal experience, with the necessary caveats in place to dissuade reactionary comments. If differing experiences could be provided without snarkiness and personal attacks, this would have been more informative. Instead we got 'no research, hanging with wrong people, why did you get PR, I'll take you to the airport'.
And when the OP defends herself against the unnecessary personal attacks, she is the bad guy? To be fair, it has been worse in the past - the enthusiastic leaping to the defence of your snarky mates, jumping on the personal criticism of OP bandwagon etc. Small mercies and all that.
I'm a fan of Toronto - great vibe, traffic, stuff to do for the family, good choice of suburbs and schools, Pearson gets you to lots of interesting US places within 2h. My list of what I enjoy about it. But I have 3 kids, get paid shedloads more than in the UK and my kids have embraced art exhibitions in downtown, our local library has a 3D printer and we are now committed 'dining outers'. I would probably have a different experience and opinion if single etc. Interestingly, my relatively un-savvy kids have been surprised at the blandness and mediocrity (not been speaking to Oink, afaik!) of some of their cradle counterparts. 'Dad, the answer was on the board and they still got it wrong'! Probably a case of being used to your own kind of stupid etc...
Although I am essentially a fan of Canada/Canadians, some of the usual charges on this site are, on reflection, true in my experience. This is evident when comparing my cradle (I hope that is not derogatory btw) colleagues to my UK colleagues. A roundabout way of saying Canadians are different. That's ok.
Great idea to get PR. For a few years at least, you will have a choice if your circumstances change.

Last edited by DrealDeel; Jan 31st 2016 at 10:40 am. Reason: Paragraphs!! Help!!
Old Jan 31st 2016, 5:25 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

As the OP for the third spin-off thread, I think this belonged on The Maple Leaf from the start. It's been treated like a bantering/ gossip subject anyhow; the question doesn't lend itself to the sort of objective answer you'd expect on the main Canada branch.

I also think Haylee has given as good as she's got so I'm not bothered by any internet bullying worries.

We've just taken 20 pages to establish that cradles are different from Brits and Canada is a whole different proposition, for better or for worse, than other countries mentioned.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 5:46 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

There's a big thread in the Canada forum re: differences between Brits and Canadians from several years ago.. pages and pages.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 6:42 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

What I don't understand is this thread has two stars?

I've been visiting this forum for near on 10 years and I still have no clue how to rate threads.

I'm fine with Haylee's position. 2 and a half years is plenty of time to live in and evaluate a city and if you've lived somewhere you've preferred then why not head back to it. You have one life to live so you may as well optimise the experience.

The nightlife in Toronto is disappointing if you have lived in London or New York and had a well established circle of friends.

When I lived in Clapham all the people I knew were from either workplaces or back from High School or Varsity. Other than house mate's I knew nobody in the neighbourhood.

In Toronto despite living in a new glass tower near the Gardiner I know lots of local people and one of the reasons I remain is I feel part of a community where I bump into my neighbours.

I realise though that I approached living in Toronto differently to how I did when I lived in London. In London I could have immersed more so in many respects maybe should not have moved in the first place.

Sometimes though you need the change to spark other changes. People should be encouraged to move on and better themselves.

Canadian's are an odd breed. I think the Brits and Antipodeans more closely align.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 7:25 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

And the Aussies slam the Poms too, I know from eavestroughing on their forum.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 7:27 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

Originally Posted by JamesM
I've only ever had good experiences with Toronto Airport Limo drivers.

One time I landed in Canada and my bank cards didn't work. The fella not only dropped me at destination but gave me $20 to buy dinner.

Then at Christmas when I went back to Blighty. I was on the lash till 3am. When the Limo arrived to pick me up at 6am the guy took one look at me and then ran across the road to Tim Hortons to buy me a coffee and muffin.

Make sure you get the "extras"......
Hope it costs him a hundred bucks rudeness tax.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 7:40 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by caretaker
And the Aussies slam the Poms too, I know from eavestroughing on their forum.
Australians slam everything. They're perennial whiners.

That's the irony of the whinging poms thing.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 7:48 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
What I don't understand is this thread has two stars?

I've been visiting this forum for near on 10 years and I still have no clue how to rate threads.
British Expats - FAQ: General Forum Usage

Go to the top of the page for the thread.
Click on 'rating'
Select.

2 Stars is "Average", by the way.

Attached Thumbnails Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?-rating.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.