Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Old Jan 28th 2016, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Originally Posted by Oink
There's one little kid at HID's school called Fanny Hare. That's got to elicit some giggles at register time.
My wife knew a girl in England named Annette. She married a Mr. Curtain.

Funnily enough, that name is mentioned in this article but I'm sure there is more than one Annette Curtain:

BBC NEWS | UK | 'Most unfortunate names' revealed
Old Jan 28th 2016, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I always wonder what people actually mean when they state there is a lack of "culture"... Were they the sort of people who were always at the latest art gallery/theatre/book reading? Is that what "they" miss?
Agreed, I don't get it either! It's usually followed by complaints about lack of nightlife, pubs and Indian restaurants!!
So as JSmth321 said - what is it?
I think First Nations here in BC would be offended by the accusations of no history- and their "culture" is quite beautiful I think, although each to his/her own- if you are ever in BC- I really do recommend a visit to the museum in Victoria.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Culture? Toronto has museums. You can also eat poutine and drink local beer. Plenty of culture in Montreal and Quebec City too. You can go to ice hockey games and play curling. You can skate. But if culture is really just old buildings built before Columbus set foot in the New World, then no wonder they are disappointed. What is culture in the UK anyway? Shakespeare and really old pubs? Or Chinese and Indian restaurants?
Old Jan 28th 2016, 5:58 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
Agreed although there is history and even "culture" if we look for it. The Royal BC Museum in Victoria is a fascinating place , it's not huge but is full of BC's history.
Best museum in Canada in my humble opinion (that every one is entitled too).

It's not the culture that bothers me here or the lack of history.

Toronto is architecturally a very ugly place with very little thought or planning going into construction.

The naff thing about travel here is that you are for a city break restricted primarily to the US. It's fine on occasion or with the strong dollar but if you really want to shake it up you have quite a distance to fly.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 6:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I always wonder what people actually mean when they state there is a lack of "culture"... Were they the sort of people who were always at the latest art gallery/theatre/book reading? Is that what "they" miss?
I too sometimes wonder what they mean. I suspect they are the type of Brit who feels superior to others and have their noses in the air looking down at others.
Im British don't you know and I think this wasteland called Canada lacks some culture old chap.
Next year when Canada celebrates 150 yrs of Confederation we should also throw in an apology and promise to do more on this culture thingy that we keep getting reminded of.
We can apologize for not having buildings like the Tower of London that were built in 1078 nor our abundance of castles that were built to defend our country from invading Europeans.
Sorry old chap no William Shakespeare born here in 1564.
No William Tate born in 1747
Sorry we had no breweries making beer since 1758 and still operating today.

So what have Canadians contributed to culture at home or abroad Mmmmm
Poutine springs to mind
Insulin, Superman, Sonar, Imax, Trivial Pursuit, Cardiac Pacemaker, Alkaline Batteries,
Granted some of the above are not culture per se but give us time and we will get there.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 6:09 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian

So what have Canadians contributed to culture at home or abroad Mmmmm
Poutine springs to mind
People have been eating chips and cheese with gravy for years.

The Quebecois just gave it a fancy name.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

humanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to all

I think it's mostly down to architecture.

Looking out of my office window here in NE Toronto I have to say the multitude of buildings I can see look drab, boring and purely functional.

Then again the godforsaken industrial estate where I used to work in Stevenage was even worse. But at least most cities and towns in the UK have some kind of old town you can visit.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 6:11 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
Best museum in Canada in my humble opinion (that every one is entitled too).

It's not the culture that bothers me here or the lack of history.

Toronto is architecturally a very ugly place with very little thought or planning going into construction.

The naff thing about travel here is that you are for a city break restricted primarily to the US. It's fine on occasion or with the strong dollar but if you really want to shake it up you have quite a distance to fly.
I loved Quebec City... Lovely restaurants, historic old buildings, history. You could definitely drive it and chuck your snowboard in too.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 6:19 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

It debates like this one that makes me miss certain posters.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 6:20 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Cultural Attractions | Live With Culture

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attractio...o_Ontario.html

Nothing to do in Toronto though it seems!

Old Jan 28th 2016, 6:21 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Its not that there's no culture here its just that its bland and a bit rubbish.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

So Shakyuk- come on over- there appears to be plenty leaving so there's lots of room
Get me a job and I will!
I'm driving across from Vancouver to Calgary in July. I think I'll check out your area and say hi to the bears
Sounds like a nice place.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 6:31 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Back in the day, we'd have one or two of these on the go most of the time. But, sadly, these threads are rare now (which probably explains why everyone is joining in with such gusto).
Old Jan 28th 2016, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Go and have an afternoon on your boat- that'll cheer you up- you have to admit you've posted some beautiful photos even if you were slightly inebriated!

I'm happier though- sorry- I felt like a deviant at a meeting in a church hall- sat in a circle- then standing and saying " My name's Snoopdawg and I love Canada"!

Re architecture- I haven't been to Toronto - apart from the airport- I'm not sure I would like it. I think I would love Montreal, Quebec City though.
Calgary is boring but what a view! Vancouver has lots of nice bits and one of the best settings for a city anywhere in the world- taking off / landing at the airport on a nice day is just beautiful.
The "city" I live in is an architectural disaster - but everyone in it is just minutes from beautiful countryside.
There are lots of crap towns/cities in the UK- arguable more than here- some of those are minutes from countryside as well and beautiful villages.
I love wild countryside so I'm happy here.
Old Jan 28th 2016, 6:48 pm

Go and have an afternoon on your boat- that'll cheer you up- you have to admit you've posted some beautiful photos even if you were slightly inebriated!

I'm happier though- sorry- I felt like a deviant at a meeting in a church hall- sat in a circle- then standing and saying " My name's Snoopdawg and I love Canada"!

snip

I love wild countryside so I'm happy here.
No one is suggesting that its wrong to like where you live. Most on here would be pleased that you and your family are happy. That's a good thing.

Oh, and I strongly resent the word "slightly".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.