Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Old Jan 27th 2016, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Originally Posted by Tirytory

I don't see how you can tar a whole huge country with one brush. Since for the most part Canadians are first/second/third generation immigrants then I guess "their boring, grey, culture less lives" are descended from well us, the immigrants that went before us...

Anyhow I don't recognize the picture you paint. Many of my friends here are very political, and it's discussed freely. My conversations revolve around what's happening in the world, both serious matters/world events or about books etc. A lot of my friends here, Canadians have travelled far more extensively than I. I guess I met like minded people much the same as I did back in the UK. There are always people everywhere who don't want to delve too deep into more serious matters. It's not a Canadian thing, it's a people thing.

You also can't compare friendships founded over decades where you discussed everything and anything to new friendships especially when you're bridging another culture. How much effort do you make to find out information about what's important to Canadian culture or politics?

All of that said, I certainly want my children to go and travel, and I'm certainly planning on travelling a lot more. We live in a lovely place to bring up children which is a bit like being on holiday, skiing, all the water sports in the summer etc but it's not a place for a young adult. I've always wanted to take the kids on a gap year around India, Thailand, Australia etc. Now that's something to day dream about..

Very well put, to be fair it all depends on where the individual ends up working and living, and what type of people they meet combined with what they expected from Canada in the first place.

Ive experienced the grey boring Canadains, but these are the type of people would be grey and boring British people too.

Originally what i thought was my disadvantage on moving to Canada - the town i lived in, has actually become my ADVANTAGE, because i looked at life through a different pair of eyes.

I have a circle of great Canadian friends now that constantly talk about music, politics and current affairs to name a few and have great senses of humour, different to my British friends yes, but Britain and Canada are different places and are different people, they share a language and queen and thats where it ends.

I dont think i would have met the people i now call friends a big city, cities are great for nights out, dining, shows and the buzz it gives you to be amongst it all in the big city smoke, I was in TO for a long weekend a couple of weeks ago....had a great time, but I couldnt live there, i find it hard to meet people in big city scenarios, its too big to form any kind of community feel, everyone has their own agenda and doesnt have the time to go into any depth with people they meet, as you probably never meet the same person twice.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 27th 2016 at 5:21 pm. Reason: edited quote issue
Old Jan 27th 2016, 5:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
You wouldn't happen to be from south of the Watford Gap would you????
Only people from the north have heard of the Watford Gap, I had to look it up after seeing it mentioned here. In England generally one views the area beyond Watford, the actual Watford with Vicarage Road, as being remote, like Saskatchewan. It'd be interesting to know, if there are people living between Watford and the Watford Gap, if they view themselves as being in a kind of purgatory, forever dreaming of moving past Watford, dreading moving past the Watford Gap.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 5:25 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Only people from the north have heard of the Watford Gap, I had to look it up after seeing it mentioned here. In England generally one views the area beyond Watford, the actual Watford with Vicarage Road, as being remote, like Saskatchewan. It'd be interesting to know, if there are people living between Watford and the Watford Gap, if they view themselves as being in a kind of purgatory, forever dreaming of moving past Watford, dreading moving past the Watford Gap.
You made me splutter my coffee!

"I wandered lonely as a cloud..."
Old Jan 27th 2016, 6:06 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I just can't figure out how anyone pays for all the travel. Boggles my mind, but I guess I am not 20, and I didn't have the ability to travel and work around the world..... I had no idea those type of things existed when I was young enough, now I am too old, so all in the past now.

1. This will give away my age, but in 1969 it was time to tour Europe for 5 months. To fund the trip, I worked at a regular job during the week and drove taxi in Vancouver on the weekends. Saved every penny earned from driving.
2. In 69 Fromer's Europe on $5 a day was actually possible (for lodging/food) Stayed at the London Tourist Club in Earl's Court, £1.10 per night bed and breakfast. Ate at the Hott Pott, the original Hott Pott, the ABC cafeterias, for less than 10 shillings, attended plays in the Gods for 7&6. Drank for about 2&6 for a pint.
3. Picked up work doing evictions.
4. Rode the trains. Spent time in Ibiza at a shared apartment for less than a $1.00 a night, went to Bullfights, sat in the SOL cheap seats, drank spanish plonk where the deposit on the bottle was more than the wine. Lived on bread and cheese a lot of the time.
5. I look at my nieces and nephews and their travel, supported by the bank of mom and dad, they would never stay at a youth hostel, too restricting, never travel, or stay in sketchy areas. The don't know what they are missing.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 6:42 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
as you probably never meet the same person twice.
You'd be surprised.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 7:00 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I just can't figure out how anyone pays for all the travel. Boggles my mind, but I guess I am not 20, and I didn't have the ability to travel and work around the world..... I had no idea those type of things existed when I was young enough, now I am too old, so all in the past now.

You haven't missed much. Traveling in your youth is just an excuse for a piss up and drug fest where their parents aren't watching. Americans just do that stuff in college.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

Haylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see how you can tar a whole huge country with one brush. Since for the most part Canadians are first/second/third generation immigrants then I guess "their boring, grey, culture less lives" are descended from well us, the immigrants that went before us...

Anyhow I don't recognize the picture you paint. Many of my friends here are very political, and it's discussed freely. My conversations revolve around what's happening in the world, both serious matters/world events or about books etc. A lot of my friends here, Canadians have travelled far more extensively than I. I guess I met like minded people much the same as I did back in the UK. There are always people everywhere who don't want to delve too deep into more serious matters. It's not a Canadian thing, it's a people thing.

You also can't compare friendships founded over decades where you discussed everything and anything to new friendships especially when you're bridging another culture. How much effort do you make to find out information about what's important to Canadian culture or politics?

All of that said, I certainly want my children to go and travel, and I'm certainly planning on travelling a lot more. We live in a lovely place to bring up children which is a bit like being on holiday, skiing, all the water sports in the summer etc but it's not a place for a young adult. I've always wanted to take the kids on a gap year around India, Thailand, Australia etc. Now that's something to day dream about..
I am not tagging anything, I am just saying it's my personal impression. I have made a lot of effort to get involved in Canadian politics but Canadian politics are a bit boring and also I find that apart from Canada people have no intererest about what's going on outside of it.

As for friendships I am not talking about super close friends you know for decades. Just willingness and being open to making new friends. If you go to US Americans tend to go out of their way to srtike up a conversation and get you involved in their circle, ask you out for drinks etc. Here, not at all. People act suspicious if you ask them to hang out or say hello.

I also do not agree with Canadians traveling a lot. I have met all kind of people here, from hipsters to Bay street crowd to College St crowd and King West yuppies, a lot of them haven't been anywhere apart from Cuba and Mexico. I hear many times that they would like to go here or there but they are scared because it's dangerous which makes me laugh.

These are my personal observations and I don't think I am being unfair, I came here excited with an open heart and after 2 years this is the opinion I will be leaving with.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 8:00 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Haylee32

I also do not agree with Canadians traveling a lot. I have met all kind of people here, from hipsters to Bay street crowd to College St crowd and King West yuppies, a lot of them haven't been anywhere apart from Cuba and Mexico. I hear many times that they would like to go here or there but they are scared because it's dangerous which makes me laugh.
It's harder for Canadians to travel because there is less vacation days. Drives me nuts. Now with the weak dollar it will be even worse.

I never really had any interest in Canadian politics until I was allowed to vote here.

What have been your best sources for meeting people in Canada?
Old Jan 27th 2016, 8:01 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
It's harder for Canadians to travel because there is less vacation days. Drives me nuts.

I never really had any interest in Canadian politics until I was allowed to vote here.
I'm interested in the local politics in as far as it gets booze in the supermarkets and if I get to pay less tax.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

Haylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
It's harder for Canadians to travel because there is less vacation days. Drives me nuts. Now with the weak dollar it will be even worse.

What have been your best sources for meeting people in Canada?
Excuses, excuses. With so many fabulous destinations within only few hours of flight they are spoilt for choice. I have managed to see most of the US since I moved here mostly flying away for weekend (or extended weekend) breaks.

Also gap years. For so many young people in their mid twenties I have met here who still live with their parents I was surprised none of them wanted to go backpacking for few months.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 8:14 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Excuses, excuses. With so many fabulous destinations within only few hours of flight they are spoilt for choice. I have managed to see most of the US since I moved here mostly flying away for weekend (or extended weekend) breaks.

Also gap years. For so many young people in their mid twenties I have met here who still live with their parents I was surprised none of them wanted to go backpacking for few months.
I first moved there when I was your age, but with a family which at that time consisted of three (counting me and the OH). If I'd been single, I would have left or committed suicide.

As it turned out, we stayed for four years and then ran away back to Europe. Eight years later, I had two very interesting job offers, one in Germany and one back in Toronto. I chose Toronto "for the children".

Mistake. On all sorts of levels.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I first moved there when I was your age, but with a family which at that time consisted of three (counting me and the OH). If I'd been single, I would have left or committed suicide.

As it turned out, we stayed for four years and then ran away back to Europe. Eight years later, I had two very interesting job offers, one in Germany and one back in Toronto. I chose Toronto "for the children".

Mistake. On all sorts of levels.
Really? How come? I think Toronto is great to raise children, safe, clean, green etc. Even their teenagers look like they don't rebel.
Old Jan 27th 2016, 8:25 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Well you can leave feeling ultimately superior to those Canadians can't you
Old Jan 27th 2016, 8:27 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Really? How come? I think Toronto is great to raise children, safe, clean, green etc. Even their teenagers look like they don't rebel.
That's what I thought too. But it was a career destroying move for their parents and the children would likely have done better in Germany (or the UK).
Old Jan 27th 2016, 8:29 pm
Born again atheist

Well you can leave feeling ultimately superior to those Canadians can't you
Canadians are OK. Just not very.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.