Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone else been asked for security deposit (don't mean down payment)for a lease?

Wikiposts

Anyone else been asked for security deposit (don't mean down payment)for a lease?

Old Feb 25th 2008, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone else been asked for security deposit (don't mean down payment)for a lease?

Ok

Start work on monday and need a car- so on saturday we went into Mazda dealer , decided upon a Mazda 5, signed up for a 2 yr lease based on a $4000 down payment. Entered into the agreement leaving $1000 of the $4000 to secure the car. 4pm this afternoon they then phone saying they need $2250 for a security deposit, which we will get back after the two years or we can use it as downpayment to buy the car.

We are on a 3 yr work permit with 33 months left to run. We have been paying credit on time since December. My first thought was 'get stuffed' but I refrained from saying this, but I seriously object in principle to depositing money with someone who then makes interest on it and charges me interest back.

Has anyone else had to do this for a lease car? I thought finance on them was easier to obtain?

I have to state this was a joint lease so it had my and OH's salaries added together, not an inconsiderable amount.

Problem is I need a car by monday and am fairly fed up with it all.

Gryphea
Old Feb 25th 2008, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else been asked for security deposit (don't mean down payment)for a lease?

Originally Posted by gryphea
Ok

Start work on monday and need a car- so on saturday we went into Mazda dealer , decided upon a Mazda 5, signed up for a 2 yr lease based on a $4000 down payment. Entered into the agreement leaving $1000 of the $4000 to secure the car. 4pm this afternoon they then phone saying they need $2250 for a security deposit, which we will get back after the two years or we can use it as downpayment to buy the car.

We are on a 3 yr work permit with 33 months left to run. We have been paying credit on time since December. My first thought was 'get stuffed' but I refrained from saying this, but I seriously object in principle to depositing money with someone who then makes interest on it and charges me interest back.

Has anyone else had to do this for a lease car? I thought finance on them was easier to obtain?

I have to state this was a joint lease so it had my and OH's salaries added together, not an inconsiderable amount.

Gryphea
I was offered a two year lease (best they could do for a one year WP) on a Golf GTI by VW. In addition to a massive monthly payment, they needed $7,500 as a "security deposit" which I would get back at the end of the lease. Minus the additional kilometre charges (who on earth only does 20k these days???) I was also encouraged to take out expensive "wear and tear" insurance too. I ended up digging into savings and buying a four year old car for cash.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 1:18 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone else been asked for security deposit (don't mean down payment)for a lease?

Nope - that was with Mazda on a 3yr lease, with only 2yrs of my WP remaining, and no request for proof of income.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 2:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Have bounced it back to mazda- told them we like the car but not that much, after all its only a two year lease. Told them we object to giving people our money and being charged interest on it. They are going to look at our Uk equifax and see what they can do in the morning. I guess we will see how much they want the deal!!!!

Gryph
Old Feb 25th 2008, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

chazcanning has a spectacular aura aboutchazcanning has a spectacular aura aboutchazcanning has a spectacular aura about

Can't wait to find out the out come

My thoughts are when leasing you are always paying that monthly payment and when the lease is up your choice is either buy it at a ridicules price or start another lease. I agree with you tell them to get knoted. as you are only got a short time I'd go a buy a cheap run around.
Old Feb 25th 2008, 3:00 pm
ARH
Forum Regular

ARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant futureARH has a brilliant future

Have bounced it back to mazda- told them we like the car but not that much, after all its only a two year lease. Told them we object to giving people our money and being charged interest on it. They are going to look at our Uk equifax and see what they can do in the morning. I guess we will see how much they want the deal!!!!

Gryph
Gryph

If I were you I'd tell them to swivel I think they are trying it on. If you like the car then fight a bit more, but as you elude to above - there are other car manufacturers and dealerships that would give you a lease with no security deposit - tell them that.

Perhaps I could understand a security deposit on a purchase finance, but not on a lease. I had no problems with GMC on our Acadia.

Give 'em hell Gryph!!!

ARH

Last edited by ARH; Feb 25th 2008 at 3:08 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 4:04 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chazcanning
My thoughts are when leasing you are always paying that monthly payment and when the lease is up your choice is either buy it at a ridicules price or start another lease.
But this is exactly why Dealers LOVE to lease cars.

* They sell the car at list price (big bucks in commission for them)

* At the end of the lease your buyout is more than the car is worth, so you say, "stuff that"

* Then they lease you a new car (i.e. they sell the car at list price (big bucks etc etc))

And on and on and on.

If you buy a car you haggle down the price as far as you can, then you keep it as long as you can.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:19 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
But this is exactly why Dealers LOVE to lease cars.

* They sell the car at list price (big bucks in commission for them)

* At the end of the lease your buyout is more than the car is worth, so you say, "stuff that"

* Then they lease you a new car (i.e. they sell the car at list price (big bucks etc etc))

And on and on and on.

If you buy a car you haggle down the price as far as you can, then you keep it as long as you can.
I haggled $6k off the price of the Mazda I leased and $15k off the Ford truck I lease - there's no compulsion to pay list price when you lease. Both leases were under 1% finance rate, so they didn't make a killing on that either. You need to find out what inventory the dealer needs to shift - the Mazda was coming to the end of its model year, the Ford was a 5,000kms demo that the dealer wanted sold. Just got to do some homework, ask the right questions and be prepared to walk away if you can't get a deal that suits you.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:29 am
BE Forum Addict

OK guys

Mazda have come back with the original deal. Sometimes it clearly pays to stand your ground, or maybe it was the equifax report we sent in that did the trick!

I now have childcare and a car- which looks like I can start work on time!!

Gryph
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

chazcanning has a spectacular aura aboutchazcanning has a spectacular aura aboutchazcanning has a spectacular aura about

:QUOTE=gryphea;5986182]OK guys

Mazda have come back with the original deal. Sometimes it clearly pays to stand your ground, or maybe it was the equifax report we sent in that did the trick!

Gryph[/QUOTE]

Well done you
Old Feb 26th 2008, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Beastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of lightBeastie is a glorious beacon of light

OK guys

Gryph
Good to see that by standing your ground you now have the car you wanted. Well done Gryph. Good luck with the new job

Lynne
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:16 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I had to put down 2 or 3 k security down on a Jeep lease when I was fresh off the boat with a work permit. Glad its worked out for you.

Now, ten years later it wasnt an issue...approved in 2 minutes, not two days.

There isnt really anything else like a 5 on the market if thats what you have set your heart on.

We looked at it, but in the end chose a civic as it will be cheaper to lease and cheaper to run and has room for two kids. But if you need 6 seats (and have short legs) a 5 is a good option.

Honda was leased for pretty close to the invoice price. We fully intend to buy it at the end of the lease, this just spreads payments over a longer period, and at 1.5% lease rate our money is making more in the bank than it would save by paying it out now.

The residual was probably less than a 4 year old Honda would really sell for (Its about 10.5k for an upscale model)), and the relatively low depriciation of the Civic keeps the lease payment reasonable. Competition from mazda helped drive the negotiated price down close to the bone, plus this is probably the best time of year to buy...Bad weather and Xmas bills keep a lot of punters at home, and others are waiting for the new models to be available, so you are in a strong negotiating position as a buyer.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 26th 2008 at 8:14 am.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:24 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
be prepared to walk away if you can't get a deal that suits you.
*single most important factor!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

Security deposits on leased vehicles are common place although $2250 is a little heavy

Ok

Gryphea
Old Feb 26th 2008, 7:41 am
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by iaink
*single most important factor!
For sure - cheaper to take a taxi for a while than pay $1000's too much on the price or get nailed by a daft finance rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.