Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone done a Canadian Bonfire night???

Anyone done a Canadian Bonfire night???

Old Nov 1st 2009, 9:08 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone done a Canadian Bonfire night???

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Yes they do. As they are delicate souls they celebrate November 5th in June. They drink Pimms and sit in wicker lounge chairs around the croquet lawn. They prefer to be waited on by spotty young girls from Lancashire.
That sounds like Harrogate.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 9:19 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chookie
"Real" parkin is nothing like a Jamaican ginger cake!

It is dark, sticky and very heavy (cos it is made with oatmeal and black treacle)
Sounds lovely.Do you spread the mushy peas on top?
Old Nov 1st 2009, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan2005
That sounds like Harrogate.
I was once very, very drunk in Harrogate, for a week.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 9:42 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Old Nov 1st 2009, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they do. As they are delicate souls they celebrate November 5th in June. They drink Pimms and sit in wicker lounge chairs around the croquet lawn. They prefer to be waited on by spotty young girls from Lancashire.
There are no spotty girls in Lancashire - they all bloom and blush like Lancashire Roses.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 1:26 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by triumphguy
There are no spotty girls in Lancashire - they all bloom and blush like Lancashire Roses.
They do that say staff is hard to find.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 5:54 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

You can't beat a traditional Northern bonfire night - the intoxicating aroma of cheap cider, spliffs and burning rubber, as friends and neighbors stand, side by side, basking in the warm glow of a burning Vauxhall Corsa.

Last edited by bsmith; Nov 2nd 2009 at 5:56 am.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
What with the permit for the Bonfire and the permit for the Fireworks, and the damn snow that is invariably with us by Nov.5th, we gave up on that a long time ago.
In Canada, I've heard that you need a permit to buy cheese on a Sunday, wash your car, get up before 6am or let your cat outside. Good god, give me strength
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 10:47 am
Nova Scotia

MrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by brizzle
In Canada, I've heard that you need a permit to buy cheese on a Sunday, wash your car, get up before 6am or let your cat outside. Good god, give me strength
Oh depends on where you are really, where I'm at you can pretty much do what you want. I'm actually amazed that some places its the law that you must mow your lawn... blows my mind really.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 2:17 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MrBeaver
Oh depends on where you are really, where I'm at you can pretty much do what you want. I'm actually amazed that some places its the law that you must mow your lawn... blows my mind really.
Doesn't actually saw you must mow your lawn it just states that your grass must not be more than 6" (15cm) high.
http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server....rest/Grass.htm
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

kate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant future

Sorry the best bonfire celebrations are definitely in the south!!! In Sussex for at least the last 150 years .....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7713557.stm
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kate holt
Sorry the best bonfire celebrations are definitely in the south!!! In Sussex for at least the last 150 years .....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7713557.stm
Yes, Rye's events are always spectacular. I do miss my annual Pope-burning pilgrimage, with fish n chip supper!
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

danfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud ofdanfolkestone has much to be proud of

Yes they do. As they are delicate souls they celebrate November 5th in June.
Not quite - it's just that June's weather in the north feels like November 5th's weather in the south!

Last edited by danfolkestone; Nov 2nd 2009 at 3:12 pm. Reason: Messed up the quote
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:16 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsmith
You can't beat a traditional Northern bonfire night - the intoxicating aroma of cheap cider, spliffs and burning rubber, as friends and neighbors stand, side by side, basking in the warm glow of a burning Vauxhall Corsa.
Not only on Bonfire Night. Sounds like a neighborhood I know on virtually any night of the year !
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

kate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant future

Yes, Rye's events are always spectacular. I do miss my annual Pope-burning pilgrimage, with fish n chip supper!
Rye Bonfire Society come to Lewes on the 5th and we go to Rye on the 14th November this year. Rye is a really popular one as is Battle this Saturday.
Yes the pope burning always attracts controversy! I had to explain to someone that its not the current pope we burn....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.