Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone done a Canadian Bonfire night???

Anyone done a Canadian Bonfire night???

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:07 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone done a Canadian Bonfire night???

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I could do that in my spare time. Do you think I'd get a uniform with braid on?
No...if you're only going to do it in your spare time, then no uniform with scrambled egg (braid), no pension, no benefits.

Last edited by Steve_P; Nov 3rd 2009 at 4:12 pm.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:10 pm
Nova Scotia

MrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant future

Absolutely! With a Stetson even! possibly optional turban.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:11 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
No if you're only going to do it in your spare time, then no uniform with scrambled egg (braid), no pension, no benefits.
You really are Canadian aren't you.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:15 pm
Nova Scotia

MrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant future

kilted nazi lawn yaksmen.... lol
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by fledermaus
You really are Canadian aren't you.
Yes and your point would be?
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

kate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant futurekate holt has a brilliant future

"scarecrow bangers"
AKA rookies (rook scarers I suppose) few going off in this clip

http://www.facebook.com/video/video....8108921&ref=mf
Old Nov 4th 2009, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

Oh well I could always just buy really crap fireworks that barely work up a fizzle. I can still have a fire, beers and fire up the grill. It was only ever an excuse to have some beers during the week anyways and to satisfy the Candian's curiosity about the whole thing. Ha.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 1:35 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by greenbwoy
Oh well I could always just buy really crap fireworks that barely work up a fizzle. I can still have a fire, beers and fire up the grill. It was only ever an excuse to have some beers during the week anyways and to satisfy the Candian's curiosity about the whole thing. Ha.

Ha, the crappy fizzly ones. Ahh the memories.

Classic banger.

And the assortment your Dad got from the garage on the way home from work.

Old Nov 4th 2009, 2:27 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Ha, the crappy fizzly ones. Ahh the memories.

Classic banger.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2523/...aa4041a5a6.jpg

And the assortment your Dad got from the garage on the way home from work.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2784/...0a3544a8fa.jpg
I remember throwing bangers around with gay abandon (you could say gay in those days without anyone raising an eyebrow at a young lad).

I also remember splitting them apart to make bigger BANGS! Also getting a clip round the ear by a policeman for sending off said bigger BANGS.

Damn I sound so old! but I'm only 51!!
Old Nov 4th 2009, 2:39 am

I remember taking a length of half inch copper pipe flattening one end with a rock and bending over the flattened end to make a handle.

Placing a lit banger down the open end followed by a small ball bearing or rock and aiming at anything breakable that was handy.

I also seem to remember lit up pub signs being favourite targets.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 4:00 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

I remember taking a length of half inch copper pipe flattening one end with a rock and bending over the flattened end to make a handle.

Placing a lit banger down the open end followed by a small ball bearing or rock and aiming at anything breakable that was handy.
....the old "banger gun" - we just used to let the banger fire out, you added shrapnel!
Old Nov 4th 2009, 9:43 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I also seem to remember lit up pub signs being favourite targets.
Originally Posted by bsmith
....the old "banger gun" - we just used to let the banger fire out, you added shrapnel!

Dear god this definatley is a male thing i'm sure. When we were younger my mates family would always have a huge Guy Fawkes party and guarantedd the guys would put a banger (the bigger the better) into any vessel that would explode (which was turned upside down on the firework).

Why do guys find this sort of stuff hilarious
Old Nov 4th 2009, 1:38 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

The best thing was throwing bangers down into the old underground Victorian toilets (all glazed tiles and echo-ey)... what a noise if you were in there!

You felt like you were a commando lobbing grenades into a German pill-box... well, I did.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:08 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to add that the reason for the clip on the ear was because a couple of us were making bigger BANGS in clay pipes on a building site. We used a couple like cannons to fire metal etc.

The one we got caught on is when we sealed both ends (to see what would happen) and KERPOW >>>SHATTER<<<< -- shrapnel flying around our ears broke a couple of windows in a newly build home, just as the copper came on the scene

THAWACK! (ringing in ears) that is when kids knew they were kids and coppers did the right thing to keep us on the straight and narrow.
Old Nov 4th 2009, 8:10 pm
Happy in NB

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
The best thing was throwing bangers down into the old underground Victorian toilets (all glazed tiles and echo-ey)... what a noise if you were in there!

You felt like you were a commando lobbing grenades into a German pill-box... well, I did.
This sounds like fun! I remember throwing them around like handgrenades (backfired when my target stepped back and knocked me into a fish pond then fell on top of me ...., I nearly flipping drowned!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.