Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone done a Canadian Bonfire night???

Anyone done a Canadian Bonfire night???

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

NikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anyone done a Canadian Bonfire night???

Ha, ha I had to post on this thread. My Birthday is 5th November and at least I dont get any of the 'you must have come in with a bang' type jokes anymore. I do miss the tradition though, bonfire and fireworks.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 12:56 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NikkiNu
My Birthday is 5th November .

You must have come in with a bang.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

NikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant futureNikkiNu has a brilliant future

Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:11 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
You must have come in with a banger.
I hope the fuse wasn't lit.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:12 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I hope the fuse wasn't lit.
Light the blue touch paper and retire.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:35 pm
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Light the blue touch paper and retire.
When I was a kid we used to get "scarecrow bangers" from my pals father's barn. These are the things that they used to put in the fields to scare of birds in the early growing season. They were on a sisal string that smoldered and ignited one every so often. The only snag was that when you tore them off the string the fuse was ripped off too so the went off in about a second. I had three in my hand one mischief night when we were razzing an old coot in the next village. I lit one and before I could light the others and get rid of them the first on went off and boy did I know it. I learned a lesson from that episode. I saw stars and my blackened hand was numb for a while. I was lucky it wasn't worse. I didn't dare go home and fess up. Oh what a misspent youth !
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:39 pm
Nova Scotia

MrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant future

Doesn't actually saw you must mow your lawn it just states that your grass must not be more than 6" (15cm) high.
http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server....rest/Grass.htm
6" high or long? cause id risk it and let it get high enough to fall over...lol
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Simon Legree - Ahhh yes, you just reminded me of the other reason I dont miss bonfire night ! Hope you didn't get too badly burned.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by MrBeaver
6" high or long? cause id risk it and let it get high enough to fall over...lol
How childish.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:48 pm
Nova Scotia

MrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant futureMrBeaver has a brilliant future

How childish.
childish? I shit you not, thats how my poor lawn ended up this year. If they measure lawns they really need to get a new hobby lol
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:53 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

childish? I shit you not, thats how my poor lawn ended up this year. If they measure lawns they really need to get a new hobby lol
It's a ridiculous law anyway. What business is it of the state how long a lawn is on your own property!
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:55 pm

No they don't go around measuring lawns.

The only way the by-law is going to get enforced is if you have some miserable sh*t of a neighbour who reports you. Then the by-law officers would likely be obligated to come out and measure most likely give you a warning first time around.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 3:59 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

No they don't go around measuring lawns.

The only way the by-law is going to get enforced is if you have some miserable sh*t of a neighbour who reports you. Then the by-law officers would likely be obligated to come out and measure most likely give you a warning first time around.
I think I'm going to say that's my job when I meet new people.

'So Alan2005, what do you do for a living'
'Well, see this ruler, I measure the length of peoples grass and then fine them'
'Er ok... bye'
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I think I'm going to say that's my job when I meet new people.

'So Alan2005, what do you do for a living'
'Well, see this ruler, I measure the length of peoples grass and then fine them'
'Er ok... bye'
Good for you.

Perhaps you could even spin into a city job with a pension and benefits.

Or did you really mean you were going to be the miserable sh*t of a neighbour.
Old Nov 3rd 2009, 4:05 pm

Good for you.

Perhaps you could even spin into a city job with a pension and benefits.

Or did you really mean you were going to be the miserable sh*t of a neighbour.
I could do that in my spare time. Do you think I'd get a uniform with braid on?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.