Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone in Canada or going soon on temporary work permit?

Wikiposts

Anyone in Canada or going soon on temporary work permit?

Old Apr 26th 2006, 3:08 am
Woohoo! PR :D

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Anyone in Canada or going soon on temporary work permit?

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Yeah we need more Lancastrians.
Lol you just want the real estate business to practice on when me and Mr Bunny end up moving in a mad panic!!
Old Apr 26th 2006, 3:10 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SkiBunny
Lol you just want the real estate business to practice on when me and Mr Bunny end up moving in a mad panic!!
Hey I'd get u a nice place.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 3:18 am

SkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of lightSkiBunny is a glorious beacon of light

Hey I'd get u a nice place.
At preferential northerner rates?
I'll bring you a meat & potato pie...
Old Apr 26th 2006, 3:20 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

At preferential northerner rates?
I'll bring you a meat & potato pie...
Hollands? Ashworths?
Old Apr 26th 2006, 3:31 am

Hollands? Ashworths?
Your choice, with an optional side serving of proper chips and gravy.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 3:40 am
Banned

Your choice, with an optional side serving of proper chips and gravy.
MUSHY PEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 26th 2006, 3:51 am

MUSHY PEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yuck! though easier to transport for real estate bribery purposes
Old Apr 26th 2006, 3:54 am
Banned

Yuck! though easier to transport for real estate bribery purposes
AH so you have been exposed as a fraud then. No true Lancastrian would say Yuck to mushy peas.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Griff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud ofGriff has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The Escapea
Bunac non-student visas have all gone for this year, but you can apply from Dec '06 for next year - best to apply early as they run out quickly! More details are here. Dead simple process to get the visa, when they still have some quota left!

My partner and I are both in IT, both grads, and I also have an MBA - we're going out to Victoria in 4 weeks on Bunac visas (hopefully just initially!), and I have a job lined up in Victoria already. Just got lucky sending off my CV to various ads - didn't get much response until I had the Bunac visa though as most employers didn't want the hassle of getting work permits etc. Also, unlike Australia, IT skills (on the non-techy side) don't seem that much in demand at the moment. I know for the role I got (IT project/client management side) they had heaps of Canadian applicants.

Accordingly the IT fast-track programme (detailed here) only encompasses software designers/developers, rather than more managerial posts. (Bummer I know ).

If you manage to get a job offer where the employer has already got a 'Labour Market Opinion' (meaning they have demonstrated the need to employ a foreigner as they can't hire a Canadian for the job) then you can get both a work permit (which generally will automatically entitle your partner to an open work permit) as well as getting additional points on your PR application. But that's a whole different chapter...
Hi there, don't if this is going to be of help but I'll give it a go.
The UK offer something called working holiday maker visa's to Commonwealth member states, it is a two year visa= one year working and one year as a holiday. It may be worth checking to see if CAN have anything similar.
Old Apr 30th 2006, 9:08 am
http://dundasheritagefarm

heritagefarmer is an unknown quantity at this point

Today I finally stopped 'lurking'

We *think* we want to emigrate to Canada, but we definitely want an overseas challenge, so after much discussing we have decided to try and get out to Canada for 12months ish on a temporary work visa, and if non-holiday life suits us there then try and get on PNP (we have +points for PR, but no patience for the wait!) and make our move permanent. If after X months we don't feel it's right for us long term then maybe we'll be able to appreciate life here more on our return and have had an adventure to boot...

Main concern is finding one of us an approved job - we are looking at going to Alberta.

Has anyone else done this or is anyone else in the middle of a similar plan?

Am interested to hear your experiences/pitfalls/advice?
Most Alberta oil companies are running 'roadshows' to Uk to fill labour shortages in and around Fort McMurray. if you have a trade or are an Engineer they will snap you up. Make sure you look for $ equivalent same as home (they WILL pay it) and LOA (living expenses) Canada is generally cheaper than UK, but Fort Mc isn't. Good Luck!
Old May 31st 2006, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

badmojo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SarahBC
Hi SkiBunny,

We came to BC on a temporary work visa a year ago. We had it issued so that I could come and work for my company, at an office in Powell River, BC. It seems the temporary work visa is usually offered for a year in the first instance, and then extended as required. A colleague of mine in a similar situation, has had her visa for 4 years, but just been told by CIC that they must seek PR now. Our temporary work visa has just been issued for a further 3 years.

After I had 2 interviews with my company (one in person in Victoria, BC, and then a more technical phone interview) they offered me a position. The company then had to seek a Labour Market Opinion (from a government dept called HRDC) to ensure that they had been unsuccessful in seeking a Canadian for the job.

Once you are in Canada on a temporary work visa, you are obliged to stay with that company. If you decide to leave the employer, you must seek another visa type.

It is often easier to seek a successful Labour Market Opinion on more remote locations - big cities are more likely to find staff easier. But this very much depends on your profession.

It's a great way of getting to experience living in Canada sooner if you don't want to wait 2-3 years for your PR application to be approved.

Hope this helps, let me know if you would like more detailed info.

Sarah
Hi, does you job have to be temporary to get a temp work visa or can it be permanent?
Old May 31st 2006, 9:09 am
Missing my family so much

H143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud ofH143 has much to be proud of

For Bunac, yes it's under 35 and you don't have to be student. You just send them your details and about £120 and you're in. It is good for ONE year only and can't be extended. You can extend your stay to stay as a visitor though.

If you like skiing, consider Vancouver too as you have three little local mountains in Van and Whistler for the weekends!

Originally Posted by badmojo
Hi, does you job have to be temporary to get a temp work visa or can it be permanent?
Old May 31st 2006, 7:42 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

If you come on a WP spouse gets open WP so can work anywhere doing anything (except health\kids)
Can I ask? If I was over on a work permit what rights would my common law partner have would he have any? or would he have to apply seperately for a WP too?

Should I have a quicky wedding lol

Cheers
Old May 31st 2006, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
Can I ask? If I was over on a work permit what rights would my common law partner have would he have any? or would he have to apply seperately for a WP too?

Should I have a quicky wedding lol

Cheers
Hi
According to this, common law partner can also get a spouse open work permit if you get one, no different to if you are married. Not sure whether you would have to provide evidence of some sort, but I guess that wouldn't be a problem.
http://www.canada.org.uk/visa-info/worker/e_worker.htm
Old Jun 1st 2006, 3:50 am
Forum Regular

KarenT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by badmojo
My husband has a permanent job with a temp work permit. It just means we have to get PR before they stop renewing his work permit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.