Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone from Britain in Salmon Arm, BC?

Anyone from Britain in Salmon Arm, BC?

Old Aug 19th 2018, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

pow06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone from Britain in Salmon Arm, BC?

Moving to Salmon Arm hopefully before Christmas and would be nice to make some contacts there. It was looking like Vernon but work is in Salmon Arm and we’re hoping to move there or abouts.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Tamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone from Britain in Salmon Arm, BC?

We are in Kamloops, which is not far away. When are you moving?
Old Aug 19th 2018, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Tamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond reputeTamasin1 has a reputation beyond repute

P.m me if you need some more Info.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 7:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134 scrubbedexpat134

Barley Station Brew Pub in Salmon Arm very good beer and food.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

I’d heard that, can’t wait to get there. Probably around November time but we are mid house sale and visas
Old Aug 19th 2018, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Brits in Salmon Arm???

Probably hundreds of Brit descent ........... it was founded by Brits way back when.
Old Aug 19th 2018, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, I just meant expats. I am aware of the history
Old Aug 19th 2018, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry you seem not to take a joke!

I am well slapped down

TBH ................ I had a now-deceased niece living in BC who had a strong desire to move to Salmon Arm in the late 90s/ early 2000s, especially to retire there.

I could never really understand it ....... it always seemed to be a very sleepy, going-nowhere town back in those days, businesses going kaput, etc, whenever we drove through there.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 12:22 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pow06
Thanks, I just meant expats. I am aware of the history

I can't see any of the BE map .. but then again not everyone adds themselves.
https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=926356
I can't say that I recall anyone mentioning Salmon Arm before.. but then I did a quick search and found these two threads!

I do miss Stinky and Snoop
What is Salmon Arm (BC) like to live in?
DOES ANYONE LIVE IN THE NORTH OKANAGAN?
Old Aug 20th 2018, 4:08 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Don't limit yourself by specifically seeking out other Brits as your contacts. My advice (as corny as it sounds) is to volunteer with as many local groups as you can when you first arrive. You will make a ton of new friends this way. And friends of friends who know people always come in handy later on. Especially when you are looking for reliable builders, mechanics etc.

Good luck!
Old Aug 20th 2018, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

That’s godod advice thanks
Old Aug 20th 2018, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Danny B
Don't limit yourself by specifically seeking out other Brits as your contacts. My advice (as corny as it sounds) is to volunteer with as many local groups as you can when you first arrive. You will make a ton of new friends this way. And friends of friends who know people always come in handy later on. Especially when you are looking for reliable builders, mechanics etc.

Good luck!

Excellent advice.

We had neighbours that we were close until they moved to the Island for work, then the marriage broke up, and we lost touch with the husband.

That is, until we bought a derelict cabin on 20 acres of land "upcountry", went to pick up the keys, took a look at the place, then went to have coffee in "town". We saw a man looking at us, finally he came over, and asked "are you xxxx and xxxx, used to live in yyyyyy?"

Yes, the husband had moved up there, and he recognised us after something like 20/25 years ............ he introduced us to some of his friends, and he and one particular man always gave us excellent advice as we went ahead with hiring the tradespeople we needed ............. from sewer or well digger to builder. The two guys never gave us any wrong advice over the 17/18 years we owned that place.

Plus ........... their prices were always very reasonable, no gouging of the "incomer", which can happen in small places.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 6:18 am
Just Joined

What a great story! Definitely need to make some connections
Old Aug 21st 2018, 5:41 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

We're in Vernon and I work in Kamloops at least once a week, and as said above I just joined local clubs in the things im interested in (mountain biking and dirt biking) and volunteered on some trail building days and other events and have met a load of people that way. Canadians are way more friendly than the brits, at least certainly in the cliquey south east where im from, and people seem to want to take you under their wing and show you around, exchange numbers and invite you for beer
Old Aug 21st 2018, 6:01 pm
Just Joined

Well that sounds fantastic!!