Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone break a yearly lease? How did it go?

Anyone break a yearly lease? How did it go?

Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:14 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone break a yearly lease? How did it go?

Just interested to hear other people's experiences, if indeed anyone has any!

We are breaking our yearly lease and our landlady isnt impressed, we have 3 options available to us according to the tenancy agreement.

1. Sublet until August 2009
2. My landlady gets new tenants
3. Penalty payment, at her discretion.

She left a message telling me that she wants option 1, which I have emailed back and said NO. I have then told her that I am happy for either of the other options......so we shall see.

Ultimately, I will move on and my family and our new house/life is what is important. I have 5 people wanting to view here and rent it, so she will rent it easily.

Anyone got any stories regarding breaking a lease?
Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone break a yearly lease? How did it go?

Originally Posted by Poppy2

We are breaking our yearly lease and our landlady isnt impressed, we have 3 options available to us according to the tenancy agreement.

She left a message telling me that she wants option 1, which I have emailed back and said NO. I have then told her that I am happy for either of the other options......so we shall see.

Ultimately, I will move on and my family and our new house/life is what is important. I have 5 people wanting to view here and rent it, so she will rent it easily.

Yes, lots

Pay the penalty, the legal costs of your lawyer will easily exceed them. Sounds like your landlady is determined to pursue you.

I hope you are buying a house or already have a new rental sorted - your reference will stink
Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:26 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Yes, lots

Pay the penalty, the legal costs of your lawyer will easily exceed them. Sounds like your landlady is determined to pursue you.

I hope you are buying a house or already have a new rental sorted - your reference will stink

Yep, not born yesterday. But thanks for that.

When I said breaking the lease, I wasnt saying I was running away and trying to avoid the penalty. Neither am I about to freak out about it, its all eminently sortable. So thanks for the snide comment about the reference........... right back at ya
Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Being a Landlord myself...I really only accept people that want to sign for a year, for a couple of reasons really.
The first reason is; it is annoying interviewing and showing people around our house, and the less we have to do of that the better.

Secondly it provides security for the right person...if they did'nt want a years lease, look else where, and stop wasting people's time.

I know a few people who won't rent to brits because of people coming over from the UK desperate for a place to live...full of promises how they'll keep the place tidy etc...only to find this not the case. I suspect you might be adding to the fact, that people with nice property's should not rent to newcomers from other countries, that don't have references, credit checks and such.

on a more positive note, I suspect that you'll just lose your damage deposit, and month in advance rent.

Good luck with shafting some other unsuspecting people in your new life.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 7:54 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

we have 3 options available to us according to the tenancy agreement.

I was wondering why you have to sublet for so long .... as you say it is a yearly lease?

Secondly, I wondered why you object so strongly to subletting? You said there were plenty of people interested......
Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:04 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frankieforehead
I think from a previous post the OP has just bought a new house.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

on a more positive note, I suspect that you'll just lose your damage deposit, and month in advance rent.
The damage deposit is for damage and I assume that is the same in Canada as the UK, it is not there to "punish" people whose circumstances change.

So long as the landlord's loss is mitigated by paying rent as per the contract until a new tenant is found, I can't see the problem. Either sublet or pay a penalty....whatever. It's not as if someone is doing a runner or trashing the place. It's a shame the penalty was not clear in the lease, my agents charge a one month payment but that covers my costs for re-letting.

And one thing I do know, is that each province has fairly strong landlord-tenant law and as Poppy is happy to sort this out, I'm sure it will get sorted.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

frankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud offrankieforehead has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
I think from a previous post the OP has just bought a new house.
There we go...If they new they were buying a new house or indeed having one built, let the owner of the property know that, and look for somewhere that may accomodate your needs...obviously being honest about a situation is alien to most.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:27 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

Being a Landlord myself...I really only accept people that want to sign for a year, for a couple of reasons really.
The first reason is; it is annoying interviewing and showing people around our house, and the less we have to do of that the better.

Secondly it provides security for the right person...if they did'nt want a years lease, look else where, and stop wasting people's time.

I know a few people who won't rent to brits because of people coming over from the UK desperate for a place to live...full of promises how they'll keep the place tidy etc...only to find this not the case. I suspect you might be adding to the fact, that people with nice property's should not rent to newcomers from other countries, that don't have references, credit checks and such.

i wasnt aware she hadnt kept the place tidy - or that infact she was "shafting" anyone. As far as I could see she was asking to break the lease early as she had managed to buy herself a house

hardly constitutes crime of the century, worthy of bad mouthing all Brits relocating.

Hope I dont get a miserable git like you for a landlord!!!!! - your the kind that gives all landlords a badname
Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Talking Re: Anyone break a yearly lease? How did it go?

Originally Posted by Tanah

Hope I dont get a miserable git like you for a landlord!!!!! - your the kind that gives all landlords a badname
You're off the list
Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:50 pm
is Happy

Tanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to beholdTanah is a splendid one to behold

You're off the list
ooooooooooooooooooooooooh im so gutted - i shall cry myself to sleep - oooooooooh please reconsider - im so upset now
Old Jul 11th 2008, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tanah
ooooooooooooooooooooooooh im so gutted - i shall cry myself to sleep - oooooooooh please reconsider - im so upset now
Okay then.....you can have the Basement
Old Jul 11th 2008, 9:25 pm
NS covern member #1

You're off the list
Well................where to start I am in just the right mood for this, I am going to enjoy every moment

I am sorry that you are not adequately equipt to cope with the stresses of being a Landlord, that you need to frankly spew verbal vomit on me and my situation. You know what? You and others think it is a good idea to rent property - well you are renting to PEOPLE, not contracts and from time to time you get let down. Sounds like you have been let down a lot, cant imagine why.

And when your tenant does let you down, there is a spectrum upon which you can gauge their actions......

One end is they trash the place and disappear without so much as a bit of warning, sneering at you as they go. Then the other end is where people are just moving on and doing what they can to make amends so that all have a positive outcome......................US, you F-wit.

Where do you get off slagging off Brits who are new to a country and renting. Get that giant rod out of your arse and realise that if you are a landlord you take on risk.

Who is the stupid party here? Me, the virgin renter, or you the person who wants to have an income from renting and then assumes that a contract will determine how that relationship will go. This is your work, this is my stepping stone and I am doing all that I can to make it work out fine for both sides. Afterall, I am a good person and work within my community and want nobody to have a poor opinion of me or my family.

Thanks for that, it felt good and I feel better.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 9:27 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Well................where to start I am in just the right mood for this, I am going to enjoy every moment

I am sorry that you are not adequately equipt to cope with the stresses of being a Landlord, that you need to frankly spew verbal vomit on me and my situation. You know what? You and others think it is a good idea to rent property - well you are renting to PEOPLE, not contracts and from time to time you get let down. Sounds like you have been let down a lot, cant imagine why.

And when your tenant does let you down, there is a spectrum upon which you can gauge their actions......

One end is they trash the place and disappear without so much as a bit of warning, sneering at you as they go. Then the other end is where people are just moving on and doing what they can to make amends so that all have a positive outcome......................US, you F-wit.

Where do you get off slagging off Brits who are new to a country and renting. Get that giant rod out of your arse and realise that if you are a landlord you take on risk.

Who is the stupid party here? Me, the virgin renter, or you the person who wants to have an income from renting and then assumes that a contract will determine how that relationship will go. This is your work, this is my stepping stone and I am doing all that I can to make it work out fine for both sides. Afterall, I am a good person and work within my community and want nobody to have a poor opinion of me or my family.

Thanks for that, it felt good and I feel better.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 9:28 pm
is Happy

Okay then.....you can have the Basement
but i have a large dog

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.