Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is anyone actually happy in Canada?

Is anyone actually happy in Canada?

Old Jan 18th 2005, 9:03 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone actually happy in Canada?

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
That's it ... look at yourself in the mirror every morning and say "every day, in every way, life is getting better & better"

maybe for some not looking in the mirror may improve their day
Old Jan 18th 2005, 9:20 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by MikeUK
maybe for some not looking in the mirror may improve their day
My thought for the day .... courtesy of the lyrics from Me & My Girl.
What's the use of worr'ing
'Bout a single blessed thing,
After all it's done and said,
Pretty soon we all be dead!
So as we're alive,
If there's a bother you want to survive,
Just you take it on the chin,
Cultivate a little grin and smile!
Hmmmm ... it's an interesting approach to life ...

Old Jan 18th 2005, 9:30 pm
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

That's it ... look at yourself in the mirror every morning and say "every day, in every way, life is getting better & better"
You should be the forum Guru from now on!
Old Jan 18th 2005, 9:33 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by Crispie
You should be the forum Guru from now on!
Do I have to do the beard and sandals bit?

Repeat after me .... om, om, om, ....

Or for Canadians ..... eh?, eh?, eh?, ...

Old Jan 18th 2005, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

stallas is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Is anyone actually happy in Canada?

Hi KJT,
I would like to point out that there are many of us that have moved to Canada and have made a success.

My wife, Son and i would never move back to the UK. I have found that people that move over here tend to have a chip on their sholders and when things dont go their way slat Canada off.

I have a web group for people that are moving from the UK to Calgary, i would say 80% of the people that have moved over here still love it.

Anyway. thats my two CENTS worth
Steve

Originally Posted by KJT

Hi I have been searching the pages of this forum for a week now and can not help but to see a pattern of bad luck and bad news!

Has anyone who has moved to Canada from the UK within the past couple of years actually made a success of the move?

About to slit my wrists.....

KJT
Old Jan 18th 2005, 9:48 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by stallas
i would say 80% of the people that have moved over here still love it.
Based on this thread ... out of the 16 people that responded who actually live in Canada, only two said they were unhappy ... that's a 87.5% approval rating for Canada.

Admittedly a small sample, but still very positive ... nobody can say we're a bunch of negative whiners again

Old Jan 18th 2005, 10:24 pm
Banned

DanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL
As I get Boll'cked on here for not doing my research maybe you should do the same. Unless you for a fact KNOW, don't compare as it confuses those in waiting.
I never claimed it was bad in comparison to the NHS, so calm the hell down. It was you who misunderstood it. Nowhere did I say it was worse than the British system. Jesus Christ! Stop putting words in my mouth.

PS are you a failed emigrant in waiting to return home or just re-adjusting. It helps to look at the numbers not convinced.
No, I am not. My stepdad is a citizen. And I am dependent, so I could become a permanent resident if I were interested. But I no longer am. So there. My interest in leaving the country is mostly because it is NOTHING in comparison to the country I've lived in most of my life.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 10:27 pm
Banned

DanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to allDanMarsden is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iaink
Sometimes I wonder if I'm not living on a different planet to Dan, instead of just a different part of the same province.
Old Jan 18th 2005, 10:28 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by DanMarsden
My interest in leaving the country is mostly because it is NOTHING in comparison to the country I've lived in most of my life.
Perhaps this topic deserves a thread of its own .... what someone who has been dragged over to Canada by a parent really thinks of the experience?

Old Jan 19th 2005, 12:34 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

The Health service on average I would say slightly lower quality than the UK at least here in Toronto.. my own experience would say way worse but on speaking to others there are good and bad hospitals in town most would seem to be slightly below Uk standards on average … small win the UK
Fair enough.

But in Alberta I world say it's miles ahead of the shambles that is the NHS (better and quicker diagnostics, more efficient, better rehab, physios ....

I've worked in both.

Like another posters wife I would cry if I had to return to the UK.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

The Health service on average I would say slightly lower quality than the UK at least here in Toronto.. my own experience would say way worse but on speaking to others there are good and bad hospitals in town most would seem to be slightly below Uk standards on average … small win the UK
Probably depends on which part of the Uk you are in. If you analyse the figures for example Cancer care alone it can depend on where you live as to whether you live or die as relates to what service is available.

Recently, which has gone under the carpet since, there was a spate of people sent abroad for their ops as they could not be done quick enough in the UK. Perhaps only a trial but it gives you an idea.

Do Canadians go the states to get treatment as it is not avaialble in Canada -just a question?

My wife watched a programme about Brits abroad and getting health care/operations done. The patients were able to compare like for like what they would be offered, treatment, environment, facilities, aftercare etc and the UK did not come out well.

Last edited by SANDRAPAUL; Jan 19th 2005 at 7:31 am.
Old Jan 19th 2005, 7:23 am
Glaswegian

Do Canadians go the states to get treatment as it is not avaialble in Canada -just a question?
I assume you mean if its not available.

Healthcare varies from province to province ... I've heard it isn't too good in Ontario, my own experience is that its way better in Alberta than it was in the UK.

I remember hearing of one guy who broke his ankle in motorbike crash in the US ... he rode his bike all the way back to Canada with a broken ankle because he didn't want his health insurance to be hit by overpriced US fees.

Old Jan 19th 2005, 7:29 am
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice

I assume you mean if its not available
Not only do I need a spell checker up my backside I need a sensometer attached to it as well.

No wonder my wife checks EVERYTHING that leaves my desk. Just does not trust me!

What you doing up so late?
Old Jan 19th 2005, 9:55 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, some Canadians go south for treatment but mainly because of long waiting times for a specific treatment not because a specific treatment isn't available at all. On the other hand, there's this joke in Canada - Pamela Anderson is Canadian but her boobs are American - so maybe some do go south for specific treatments .
Old Jan 19th 2005, 12:14 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Pamela Anderson is Canadian but her boobs are American
I didn't know, but Pamela Anderson was born in Ladysmith, BC - I guess that makes it the Essex of western Canada

Anybody been there ... is it full of Ford capris?

The US is known as the home of "elective" surgery ... don't know if you get the Swan or Extreme Makeover in the UK yet? Both shows aim to prove that happiness is just skin deep.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.