Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone able to shed light on Ottawa-Hull?

Anyone able to shed light on Ottawa-Hull?

Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone able to shed light on Ottawa-Hull?

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
You need one of these mate:

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/...24E-large.jpeg

Then, from June, of course it'll be too damn hot in Ottawa. Some people are never satisfied.
They've run out of those here, and ice salt, I'm now using cat litter on the driveway. My plan is to buy a second hand F150 with a plow attachment, this will take place next September as I can't afford one yet.

As for the summer...Can't wait.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 2:02 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve666
They've run out of those here, and ice salt, I'm now using cat litter on the driveway. My plan is to buy a second hand F150 with a plow attachment, this will take place next September as I can't afford one yet.

As for the summer...Can't wait.
Hmm, from Mid Jan onwards we've had rain and all the snow has gone. I think I've only used the blower once since then. Make me a hire offer and I'll send it over!
Old Mar 6th 2008, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice

Contrary to most posts I see here, we arrived a year ago with a 6 week old baby, we went to a walk in clinic in Kanata and was seen quite quickly , at that point we asked the doctor we saw about signing up for a family doctor and she offered on the spot to take us on as a family! It sounds like this is not normal, my wife is really pleased with the service she gets from our doctor and local clinic.

PS. so glad i got the snowblower after the first dump in November! Especially after all the locals claiming that they don't really get much snow anymore in Ottawa......... yeah right!
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by XCMTBer

PS. so glad i got the snowblower after the first dump in November! Especially after all the locals claiming that they don't really get much snow anymore in Ottawa......... yeah right!
That's what I was told back in October. Boy have I suffered for it. Still, this is pretty abnormal for snowfall around here, one guy in Home Depot told me this is the most amount of snow he's seen since he was a child, when I asked him how old he was he replied "12". I think it was a Canadian joke because he looked at least 40.

As for walk in clinics, my wife went to one for a chest infection 2 weeks ago, I went with her and we were there for a total of 1 hour 52 minutes 27 seconds. I was bored so timed the whole thing.

Haven't got a family doctor yet because I haven't found one that's taking new patients, only one who said phone back in another month. But then we're on the east side of Ottawa where life is cheap. Four people were found dead on the roadside when there was a temporary thaw of snow a couple of weeks ago, luckily the garbage disposal lads were there to take care of them.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by clynnog
Where are you in Ottawa Steve...east end somewhere out by Orleans?....looks like you have the same amount of snow as I do in Kanata. In terms of night life, there is lots on Elgin/Bank/Byward Market and the odd pub here and there....what exactly are you looking for that you are missing.

PC Rogan Josh is the same here as in the Okanagan Valley....have you tried East India Company, Light of India, Havelli restaurants in Ottawa...all good IMO.
We're South Orleans, just south of Innes near Navan.

I think the lack of nightlife is down to this weather, I've been to a few places downtown but seem to empty by about 9pm. I discovered an excellent Indian restaurant about 15 minutes away from us called Host India, parking is crap but the food is anything but, that's on Montreal Road. There was also a good review of it in the Ottawa Citizen (newspaper).
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Hmm, from Mid Jan onwards we've had rain and all the snow has gone. I think I've only used the blower once since then. Make me a hire offer and I'll send it over!
Well with only 3 weeks to go before it starts to melt, (so the weather people say, so it may not happen) I'll give the hire thing a miss

Although if you have a cat send over a few hundred kilos of cat litter, I'll give you a good price. They're going for $100 per kilo here now, there was a stabbing at Canadian Superstore yesterday over an argument as to who was going to buy the last bag.

The neighbour over the road is using water softener crystals to put on his ice covered drive.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I was told back in October. Boy have I suffered for it. Still, this is pretty abnormal for snowfall around here, one guy in Home Depot told me this is the most amount of snow he's seen since he was a child, when I asked him how old he was he replied "12". I think it was a Canadian joke because he looked at least 40.

As for walk in clinics, my wife went to one for a chest infection 2 weeks ago, I went with her and we were there for a total of 1 hour 52 minutes 27 seconds. I was bored so timed the whole thing.

Haven't got a family doctor yet because I haven't found one that's taking new patients, only one who said phone back in another month. But then we're on the east side of Ottawa where life is cheap. Four people were found dead on the roadside when there was a temporary thaw of snow a couple of weeks ago, luckily the garbage disposal lads were there to take care of them.
Thats awful are you being serious Steve 4 people dead

On another note when we were in Ottawa last year there was lots going on into the night but thats in the centre
Old Mar 6th 2008, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

XCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really niceXCMTBer is just really nice

Well with only 3 weeks to go before it starts to melt, (so the weather people say, so it may not happen) I'll give the hire thing a miss

Although if you have a cat send over a few hundred kilos of cat litter, I'll give you a good price. They're going for $100 per kilo here now, there was a stabbing at Canadian Superstore yesterday over an argument as to who was going to buy the last bag.

The neighbour over the road is using water softener crystals to put on his ice covered drive.
Steve, you are on the wind up? dead people and stabbings?
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:01 am
Just Joined

justdoit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, first post here.
I was thinking of immigrating to the Ottawa area providing the job situation allows.
I've been to Ontario a few times but never to Ottawa which has always had an appeal for some reason.
Now that I'm a family man (2yrs & a 6month old) I was thinking about family/ child freindly activities outdoors in winter. Do they exist or is it a case of being stuck indoors for a few months?

Thanks
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Thats awful are you being serious Steve 4 people dead

On another note when we were in Ottawa last year there was lots going on into the night but thats in the centre
Did I say dead? Sorry, they were comotose. They were all taken to Tim Hortons where they they were given the dark nector, the stuff that make Canadians such a danger on the roads. They were fine after that.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

Did I say dead? Sorry, they were comotose. They were all taken to Tim Hortons where they they were given the dark nector, the stuff that make Canadians such a danger on the roads. They were fine after that.
You rotter not bringing you any goodies now
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by justdoit
Hi, first post here.
I was thinking of immigrating to the Ottawa area providing the job situation allows.
I've been to Ontario a few times but never to Ottawa which has always had an appeal for some reason.
Now that I'm a family man (2yrs & a 6month old) I was thinking about family/ child freindly activities outdoors in winter. Do they exist or is it a case of being stuck indoors for a few months?

Thanks
we loved it as you can tell by my posts, but better ask those that have to live there all the time,

just don't ask Steve666 or he will tell you they feed the kids to the bears or something
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Well, virtually every morning since I've been here I'm greeted with this vision. This one was taken yesterday morning (I'm keeping a photo diary of this winter because nobody in the UK would believe it) a stuck minivan and a son who's pi$$ed off because he's going to be late to work. And yet another night of clearing a 3 foot wall of snow and ice in front of the driveway because the snow plow has been, oh that dreaded blue flashing light going pass the window...

Night life here is apalling, everyone is back indoors by 8pm. Oh and never buy a President's Choice rogan josh, I wouldn't give it to my dog it's so bad.

Other than that it's ok, I'll wait to the summer before making a final judgment though, like moving to the Okanagan valley.
Aren't there any Drive Clearing services around you? Ours started first snow (November) and will do the complete season for 250 bucks. He's usually around 30 minutes after the plough, so we can get out without shoveling.

I think he must have lost money this year (we've had over 3 metres of snow this eason, and more is expected!)
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:17 am
BE Forum Addict

You live in the west of Ottwa, where the flowers have colour and the children skip to school. The east is full of drug traffickers, violent gang members and Francophiles who will quite readily shoot you for looking at their woman, or worse, their coffee.

And there's "snow drilling" where someone is stripped naked and "drilled" into one of those snow hills you see a lot of in the shopping mall car parks. A gang member will keep watch to make sure the individual stays in there for a couple of hours then drives off. Nobody has ever come out alive, I was told by Randy "white boy" McGee. Have you ever seen "Trailer Park Boys"? Well I'm known as "Bubbles" in these here parts.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 6:19 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by justdoit
Hi, first post here.

Thanks
There is shed loads of stuff to do outside in winter. Skiing/snowboarding is 30 minutes away. The Rideau Canal becomes, it claims, the world's largest skating rink. We were there last Sunday. It was packed. Children seem immune to cold.

All you need is proper clothing and a hip flask. Then again, any parent needs a hip flask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.