Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone able to shed light on Ottawa-Hull?

Anyone able to shed light on Ottawa-Hull?

Old Feb 26th 2008, 10:33 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5
clairebear77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone able to shed light on Ottawa-Hull?

HI THERE, JUST WONDERED IF ANYONE LIVES IN OTTAWA-HULL AREA, AND IF YOU COULD SHED ANY LIGHT ON RAISING A FAMILY THERE? ITS APPARENTLY A GREAT PLACE FOR KIDS?

THANKS
clairebear77 is offline  
Old Feb 27th 2008, 12:15 am
  #2  
G77
BE Forum Addict
 
G77's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Windsor, ON
Posts: 3,374
G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone able to shed light on Ottawa-Hull?

Apparently it's great - they even have keyboards with a shift key on them....
G77 is offline  
Old Feb 27th 2008, 12:19 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 145
ill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anyone able to shed light on Ottawa-Hull?

ill_only_miss_eastenders is offline  
Old Feb 27th 2008, 12:22 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 285
Zap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond reputeZap0ne has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone able to shed light on Ottawa-Hull?

Originally Posted by clairebear77
HI THERE, JUST WONDERED IF ANYONE LIVES IN OTTAWA-HULL AREA, AND IF YOU COULD SHED ANY LIGHT ON RAISING A FAMILY THERE? ITS APPARENTLY A GREAT PLACE FOR KIDS?

THANKS
Oh clairebear77, please take the cap lock off. In internet space you are SHOUTING at us!

Ottawa has a very government feel about it. You might need to get your French up to speed.
Zap0ne is offline  
Old Feb 27th 2008, 1:48 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 5
clairebear77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone able to shed light on Ottawa-Hull?

Originally Posted by G77
Apparently it's great - they even have keyboards with a shift key on them....
Your obviously having a good day - not! Sorry for asking anything, thought this site was so people could help.
clairebear77 is offline  
Old Feb 27th 2008, 1:59 am
  #6  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Coffeepot's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: back in Cambs
Posts: 7,157
Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone able to shed light on Ottawa-Hull?

Originally Posted by clairebear77
Your obviously having a good day - not! Sorry for asking anything, thought this site was so people could help.
You are right clairbear 77 we are here to help each other,

We were in Ottawa last Easter and loved it i don't know about Hull, we are planning on going again soon for another recci and jobs this time fingers crossed and are hoping to settle in that area dpending on jobs of course,

there's all sorts for children as well as adults very family minded,
as i said i only know about what we personally made of the area.

you don't need French OH speaks it and we never used it once, thats more quebec way, there will be others along i expect to tell you more about it
wish you well
Coffeepot is offline  
Old Mar 5th 2008, 12:50 pm
  #7  
Just Joined
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 25
ex_REME is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone able to shed light on Ottawa-Hull?

Originally Posted by clairebear77
HI THERE, JUST WONDERED IF ANYONE LIVES IN OTTAWA-HULL AREA, AND IF YOU COULD SHED ANY LIGHT ON RAISING A FAMILY THERE? ITS APPARENTLY A GREAT PLACE FOR KIDS?

THANKS
Hi, I live just outside Ottawa and work in Hull. We have youngsters, 9 and 11. We all love it here, great activities (parks, skiing, swimming, skating, canoeing etc etc) great cinemas, theatres and best of all the museums.

I guess it feels like a Govt city, but what does that mean? You don't meet high powered politicians shopping in the St Laurent centre or the Governor General in the line up at Tims. You do see lots of diplomatic number plates around the city.

The Hull side is much the same, closer to the ski hills and Gatineau park, cheaper property I believe and I heard on the radio recently there is an initiative to improve access to English speaking medical staff as there was a feeling that Anglophones were driving to Ontario to get assistance in English. My experience of the Montford hospital in Ottawa is that many staff are Francophone anyway!

Perhaps it doesn't have the same upbeat, young feel of Calgary or the heritage of Montreal or Quebec city, but it doesn't go on and on for ever like TO, so it suits us great. I would strongly recommend it as a family city.

Good luck!
Ex_REME
ex_REME is offline  
Old Mar 5th 2008, 5:27 pm
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Coffeepot's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: back in Cambs
Posts: 7,157
Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone able to shed light on Ottawa-Hull?

Originally Posted by ex_REME
Hi, I live just outside Ottawa and work in Hull. We have youngsters, 9 and 11. We all love it here, great activities (parks, skiing, swimming, skating, canoeing etc etc) great cinemas, theatres and best of all the museums.

I guess it feels like a Govt city, but what does that mean? You don't meet high powered politicians shopping in the St Laurent centre or the Governor General in the line up at Tims. You do see lots of diplomatic number plates around the city.

The Hull side is much the same, closer to the ski hills and Gatineau park, cheaper property I believe and I heard on the radio recently there is an initiative to improve access to English speaking medical staff as there was a feeling that Anglophones were driving to Ontario to get assistance in English. My experience of the Montford hospital in Ottawa is that many staff are Francophone anyway!

Perhaps it doesn't have the same upbeat, young feel of Calgary or the heritage of Montreal or Quebec city, but it doesn't go on and on for ever like TO, so it suits us great. I would strongly recommend it as a family city.

Good luck!
Ex_REME
Great to hear someone else promoting Ottawa we loved it, found it very family orientated driving round the villages there were children in all the parks ( always a good sign ) it was Easter and the folks weren't stuck in doors they were out side enjoying the snow and sunshine, as you said lots to do, son loved the museums and swimming etc they were just dismantling the huge ice rink on the canal,

someone just sent me some photos of the winterlude and the ice sculpting looks amazing and the beavers tails yum yum,buzzing with people,
also good shopping, Ikea, and places to eat
Coffeepot is offline  
Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:23 pm
  #9  
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,606
Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone able to shed light on Ottawa-Hull?

Originally Posted by ex_REME
there is an initiative to improve access to English speaking medical staff as there was a feeling that Anglophones were driving to Ontario to get assistance in English. My experience of the Montford hospital in Ottawa is that many staff are Francophone anyway!
It's not just the anglos crossing the river. It's virtually impossible to find a GP in Gatineau and many people, myself included, are forced to use walk-in clinics in Ontario.

You're right about the hospitals. I made quite a few trips to Ottawa General last year and there seemed to be more franco staff than anglos. That is perhaps not surprising; OG is officially bilingual and I imagine the other Ottawa hospitals are too.
Souvenir is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:29 am
  #10  
BE Forum Addict
 
clynnog's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,351
clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone able to shed light on Ottawa-Hull?

Originally Posted by Souvenir
It's not just the anglos crossing the river. It's virtually impossible to find a GP in Gatineau and many people, myself included, are forced to use walk-in clinics in Ontario.

You're right about the hospitals. I made quite a few trips to Ottawa General last year and there seemed to be more franco staff than anglos. That is perhaps not surprising; OG is officially bilingual and I imagine the other Ottawa hospitals are too.
Montfort is definately a francophone dominated hospital and the Riverside can be quite french. The Queensway Carleton is an anglo place and the Civic is 50/50. At most hospitals you can get service etc in either language.

We're lucky to have the same GP for about 10 years as we linked up with a GP who was just starting out (not burnt out yet) and about 6 months later he said he wouldn't take any more on. In terms of emergency care, our daughter had to Queensway Carleton one night at about 21h00 and my wife didn't leave until 05h15 after seeing a Dr. for a grand total of 10 minutes.

Walk in clinics are to avoided at all costs if possible.
clynnog is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:34 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 4,842
steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone able to shed light on Ottawa-Hull?

Originally Posted by clairebear77
HI THERE, JUST WONDERED IF ANYONE LIVES IN OTTAWA-HULL AREA, AND IF YOU COULD SHED ANY LIGHT ON RAISING A FAMILY THERE? ITS APPARENTLY A GREAT PLACE FOR KIDS?

THANKS
Well, virtually every morning since I've been here I'm greeted with this vision. This one was taken yesterday morning (I'm keeping a photo diary of this winter because nobody in the UK would believe it) a stuck minivan and a son who's pi$$ed off because he's going to be late to work. And yet another night of clearing a 3 foot wall of snow and ice in front of the driveway because the snow plow has been, oh that dreaded blue flashing light going pass the window...

Night life here is apalling, everyone is back indoors by 8pm. Oh and never buy a President's Choice rogan josh, I wouldn't give it to my dog it's so bad.

Other than that it's ok, I'll wait to the summer before making a final judgment though, like moving to the Okanagan valley.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone able to shed light on Ottawa-Hull?-car_in_drive.jpg  
steve666 is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:40 am
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
clynnog's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,351
clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone able to shed light on Ottawa-Hull?

Originally Posted by steve666
Well, virtually every morning since I've been here I'm greeted with this vision. This one was taken yesterday morning (I'm keeping a photo diary of this winter because nobody in the UK would believe it) a stuck minivan and a son who's pi$$ed off because he's going to be late to work. And yet another night of clearing a 3 foot wall of snow and ice in front of the driveway because the snow plow has been, oh that dreaded blue flashing light going pass the window...

Night life here is apalling, everyone is back indoors by 8pm. Oh and never buy a President's Choice rogan josh, I wouldn't give it to my dog it's so bad.

Other than that it's ok, I'll wait to the summer before making a final judgment though, like moving to the Okanagan valley.
Where are you in Ottawa Steve...east end somewhere out by Orleans?....looks like you have the same amount of snow as I do in Kanata. In terms of night life, there is lots on Elgin/Bank/Byward Market and the odd pub here and there....what exactly are you looking for that you are missing.

PC Rogan Josh is the same here as in the Okanagan Valley....have you tried East India Company, Light of India, Havelli restaurants in Ottawa...all good IMO.
clynnog is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:44 am
  #13  
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 9,606
Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Anyone able to shed light on Ottawa-Hull?

Originally Posted by clynnog
Montfort is definately a francophone dominated hospital and the Riverside can be quite french. The Queensway Carleton is an anglo place and the Civic is 50/50. At most hospitals you can get service etc in either language.

We're lucky to have the same GP for about 10 years as we linked up with a GP who was just starting out (not burnt out yet) and about 6 months later he said he wouldn't take any more on. In terms of emergency care, our daughter had to Queensway Carleton one night at about 21h00 and my wife didn't leave until 05h15 after seeing a Dr. for a grand total of 10 minutes.

Walk in clinics are to avoided at all costs if possible.
You're extremely lucky to have a GP. I spent days last year trying to get one. No chance. Even the Gatineau walk-ins aren't taking new patients. As a result, I'm condemned to the Appletree Clinic on Slater.
Souvenir is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2008, 12:58 am
  #14  
Slightly Canadian
 
Atlantic Xpat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 10,129
Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone able to shed light on Ottawa-Hull?

Originally Posted by steve666
Well, virtually every morning since I've been here I'm greeted with this vision. This one was taken yesterday morning (I'm keeping a photo diary of this winter because nobody in the UK would believe it) a stuck minivan and a son who's pi$$ed off because he's going to be late to work. And yet another night of clearing a 3 foot wall of snow and ice in front of the driveway because the snow plow has been, oh that dreaded blue flashing light going pass the window...
You need one of these mate:



Then, from June, of course it'll be too damn hot in Ottawa. Some people are never satisfied.
Atlantic Xpat is offline  
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:26 am
  #15  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Coffeepot's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: back in Cambs
Posts: 7,157
Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone able to shed light on Ottawa-Hull?

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
You need one of these mate:

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/...24E-large.jpeg

Then, from June, of course it'll be too damn hot in Ottawa. Some people are never satisfied.
I think OH has me one lined up for Christmas
Coffeepot is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.