Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anybody working in the wind/renewables industry?

Wikiposts

Anybody working in the wind/renewables industry?

Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:21 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody working in the wind/renewables industry?

Originally Posted by Ontheboatout
Not near me thanks.....

Noise and its effects on health: a brief bibliography 27 May 2007 Pubmed database, National Library of Medicine, US National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA. Link from:

http://www.windturbinenoisehealthhumanrights.com/

Noise Radiation from Wind Turbines Installed near Homes: Effects on Health (with an annotated review of research and related issues) by Barbara J. Frey BA, MA and Peter J. Haddon, BSc, FRICS, February 2007

http://www.viewsofscotland.org/libra...sehealth-1.pdf
Hmmm, a web site called "windturbinenoisehealthhumanrights.com" and a report by the same group, hardly an independent report I suspect.

Anyway, even this report says don't build within 2 km of housing - I am not sure i want to live within 2km of a coal fired power station or a nuclear reactor so I am not sure what you are trying to say.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:54 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Wouldn't it be more of a problem in Canada? Canada's a large country but 60%of the population live in the ugly bit along the border between Quebec City and Windsor. Most of the land is privately held and there's no public right of way over it. Thus the population has less access to the countryside than is the case in the UK. The small amount of countryside that is accessible is generally flat and featureless, unlike the rolling hills and moors of England. Populated Canada generally has the beauty and charm of the Kilburn High Road. Accordingly it's more important to preserve the few attractive spots in inhabited Canada than it is to preserve those in England. If the wind farmers wanted to build on the tundra I don't suppose anyone but the seal clubbers would care, but they don't, they want proximity to population and they want wind, so they want to build on the Bruce Trail - Ontario's only footpath.

A modern wind farm, btw, looks nothing like an historic windmill, it looks like an American prison; lots of wires and fences and towers. Lots of concrete.

Back with an earlier point, what do you say that to this claim:

http://mailman.mcmaster.ca/mailman/p.../msg00022.html

that it takes 10,000, not 2,000, 2MW windmills to replace one 4,000MW power station?
I can't agree that a modern wind farm looks like an American prison - http://www.bwea.com/media/photo/nwp/rgb/novar2.jpg . I used to live a few miles from a new wind farm in southern Spain and as someone else said, find them quite beautiful. All depends upon how they are sited and how the power is transmitted away.

Regarding the 10,000 windmills this is not exactly correct. I didn't want to get into the exact details when I posted the 2,000 number, I just wanted to show it was no where near the 1 million to 100 million that had been stated.

There is a capacity factor involved with windmills (which is around 40% for newer designed windmills that are well placed, and not the 20% stated in the email from 2001), however there is also a capacity factor with coal & nuclear plants which is often forgotten and can range from 50% upwards. In reality the number of windmills to replace Pickering would be anywhere from 3,500 to 4,500 depending upon their size and location.

I would also point out that the Pickering windmill is installed at the nuclear plant and is used as PR by the company - partly to show how green they are and partly to show what limited power is available and how much better we would all be having more nuclear, which is their core business.

Ignoring the old days of "electricity too cheap to meter" and the fact that even as recently as 2003 the British Gov had to rescue British Energy (who operates the newer nuclear plants in the UK) with 3 billion pounds of taxpayer money, I have to wonder what will happen to the price of uranium ore when every country jumps on the nuclear bandwagon, let alone whether the real costs of waste disposal are going to be properly internalized or just dumped on the public purse at some point in the future, just as it has been from the plants of the past.

I am not completely against nuclear, I just think it should be a marginal supplier of power and that energy efficiency, followed by wind, tidal, solar, wave, hydro & geothermal should comprise the majority of electricity generation.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I can't agree that a modern wind farm looks like an American prison - http://www.bwea.com/media/photo/nwp/rgb/novar2.jpg . I used to live a few miles from a new wind farm in southern Spain and as someone else said, find them quite beautiful. All depends upon how they are sited and how the power is transmitted away.
Windfarms here look nothing like that. If I can get away from the computer in daylight tomorrow I'll get some pictures, but essentially they're a mass of wires, something like the pipes in an oil refinery, and many concrete bunker things (igloos the locals call them). The nearby roads have something like telegraph poles along them but with five or ten wires strung between them a couple of feet apart. I don't think it's much of a stretch to say that the one here (highway 17 between 10 and 89) looks very much like the prison one passes on the highway just outside Erie PA.

The wind farm is guarded, not to the degree that nuclear power stations are (it doesn't have that "we shoot on sight" signage one sees at the Bruce power station) but it is fenced and patrolled. It's all a bit Menwith Hill. It does rather amuse me that here, among the organic farming neo-hippies, the renewable energy industry has adopted the public relations approach of GCHQ.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond reputeMr Lee has a reputation beyond repute

Oh come come DBD - your local wind-farm, doesn't come with that much wiring - they seem to have buried a lot of the cabling (presumably via the concrete bunkers); and I don't believe that it is encroaching on the Escarpment or the Bruce Trail just yet.

Not that I'm in favour totally - a friend who works in the energy business tells me that they're not anywhere near as efficient as some would have you believe and they are a blight on the landscape - especially with their associated concrete bunkers (not that there is much "landscape" around Shelburne). We looked at a house about 1km away from one of the turbines installed on the patch of country near dbd's humble abode and the constant "whoosh whoosh whoosh" of the blades was slightly eerie I thought. Plus they have those flashing red-lights on top (which all operate in sync).
NIMBY indeed...
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
Oh come come DBD - your local wind-farm, doesn't come with that much wiring - they seem to have buried a lot of the cabling (presumably via the concrete bunkers); and I don't believe that it is encroaching on the Escarpment or the Bruce Trail just yet....
Given a moment I'll get pictures but you must know that no wires are buried in Ontario.

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
Not that I'm in favour totally - a friend who works in the energy business tells me that they're not anywhere near as efficient as some would have you believe and they are a blight on the landscape - especially with their associated concrete bunkers (not that there is much "landscape" around Shelburne). We looked at a house about 1km away from one of the turbines installed on the patch of country near dbd's humble abode and the constant "whoosh whoosh whoosh" of the blades was slightly eerie I thought. Plus they have those flashing red-lights on top (which all operate in sync).
NIMBY indeed...
I can't say that I understand the noise argument, if I stand under them I don't hear anything and I wouldn't turn down a place because of other noise, a train track, for example, that's just something you get used to. A windmill in the backyard, without the wiring, wouldn't bother me.

Whether or not one considers Mulmur to have landscape, and I agree it's nothing compared to the Home Counties, it is what we have, it does attract tourists and we shouldn't spoil it if we don't have to.

Do you think there's a reason for the lights? Even small planes fly way higher than that so is it some sort of statement?
Old Jan 13th 2008, 9:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Have worked in the enviro and recycling sectors for the past 20 years so not in wind power, but I have an interest in alternative power and try to keep up to date. It's an interesting sector, it all seems so easy to see where we should be going on energy efficiency and power generation and yet the West just keeps plowing on with coal, gas, oil & nuclear.

Looks like we will need some more fuel price hikes, concerns over global warming and worries about sourcing uranium and controlling nuclear waste before we will commit fully to a renewables type approach.

What does you husband do in the industry?
He works for the BWEA actually (I noticed you posted a link from their website further down!).

Thanks for all your input and knowledge but not sure we'll convince anyone - seems as though the main problem is the way wind farms are set out in Canada which is very strange as in Europe and the US there are no wires, fences or concrete. Which is probably why I think they're rather lovely, perhaps I'd change my mind if I saw a Canadian one (although I'd still be pro-wind, I just think it's necessary and we're running out of other options).

Looks as though my innocent question has turned into a bit of a debate!

Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Thanks for all your input and knowledge but not sure we'll convince anyone - seems as though the main problem is the way wind farms are set out in Canada
I think that's probably true. I recall being awed by a wind farm in California a while back. I don't think Canadians much care for the appearance of the built environment and this indifference is reflected in the manner of constructing wind farms - they look a lot like the industrial suburbs one finds around airports.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:27 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I think that's probably true. I recall being awed by a wind farm in California a while back. I don't think Canadians much care for the appearance of the built environment and this indifference is reflected in the manner of constructing wind farms - they look a lot like the industrial suburbs one finds around airports.
I do wish that you would stop equating your experience of your local wind farm as being the norm across the country.

I've seen a few in southern Alberta that look nothing like you describe. No miles of wire running in all directions just the towers with their blades all other ancillary wiring appears to be buried.

Something like the attached picture.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Steve_P
I do wish that you would stop equating your experience of your local wind farm as being the norm across the country.

I've seen a few in southern Alberta that look nothing like you describe. No miles of wire running in all directions just the towers with their blades all other ancillary wiring appears to be buried.

Something like the attached picture.
http://www.3dnworld.com/users/69/ima..._Windfarm1.jpg
How does the power get from there to the city?
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:38 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

No idea.

I couldn't see where or how it's hooked into the grid.

But apparently it must as the City of Calgary is buying wind energy to run it's Light Rail Transit System.

Edit: Apparently the "City" now gets 75% of "its" power from wind power. I didn't know that until this morning.
http://sema-technology.blogspot.com/...o-in-wind.html

Last edited by Steve_P; Jan 14th 2008 at 2:49 am.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Will ask hubby when he gets home tonight - his job title is Head of Grid & Technical Affairs so sure he'll have some idea! Will let you know what the answer is.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 3:46 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Completely agree Steve. I have visited two wind farms in Alberta and I quite liked them. I might be biased though as I have investments in the 'renewables' sector.

Attached Thumbnails Anybody working in the wind/renewables industry?-windfarm.jpg