Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anybody used uk2novascotia.com?

Anybody used uk2novascotia.com?

Old Jan 17th 2008, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anybody used uk2novascotia.com?

I agree that there sometimes seems so much information on this site that makes the process seem even harder than it is in reality - maybe some "professionals" make it seem that way on purpose. They have a great TV ad here, where a Pest Controller comes and checks out a house infested with money grabbers, "Well", he says, "I'm afraid you have bankers."

Yes, it is the fear of the unknown and doing something unknowingly that will cost us money - drilled wells, furnaces, septic systems, strange real estate practices etc etc that encourages the seeking of advice and hiring someone. That is where this site excels with personal experience. We never used any agencies either and found the best advice from everyone we spoke to on the ground here, rather than from in the UK where you feel less in control.

We never found it a long settlement period - maybe a few days and also neighbours were arriving with welcome gifts in that time too and we soon embraced the new experience for us of real community life.

I agree too about a British enclave - isn't that what has caused so much angst against immigrants to the UK? There is so much space and so many lovely parts of Nova Scotia in which to live, why perpetuate or re-build what we are all trying to escape from.

Don't touch the bacon - they like it very fatty. You need to get someone local to cut it for you how you like it.

Anyhow, uk2novascotia have had their share of free advertising now, so I declare this thread null and void.

"Be wary, Grasshopper, of the fox that invites you in for dinner" (Kung Fu TV series)

QUOTE=Poppy2;5799356]Well I wish you lots of luck Snort - know exactly how you are feeling right now! And from the other side of the move with a family of 5, by a mere 3 days, let me tell you there is light at the end of the tunnel! Though still struggling with 3 children who insist on waking at 4.30 each morning and dementing us! But no time for *nanna naps*.

We have previously emigrated to another country without any help and we are being offered lots of unsolicited help right now, which slightly irks the independent spirits that we are - though 1 :5 reccomendations are actually proving useful. I am not talking about Mike or Orla, I have never met them and have never approached anyone like them in this process. It makes me feel a little sad that maybe people seek out that level of support because they fear being fleeced because they are seen as foreign cash cows - I am sure that is a strong over simplification of what people have said in this thread, but I am profoundly jet lagged and waiting for a bacon sandwhich that is long overdue! The move involves so many things that require outside agencies and of course we all want to know that someone can personally recommend a company or professional, that removes some of the needle in a hay stack fear that we all have. I do think that there is a lot more to the move than the practical aspects, there is an element of adjusting the move, assimilating and becoming part of the community. There is a long settlement period in my previous experience and that is totally normal - I would like to think that these emigration agencies also support that aspect too. And the answer, for me, isnt getting british people together or encouraging a little enclave of expats to form. Having said all that, we havent even been out to have a look round as the snow kept us to pottering round Halifax these past few days. We wouldnt be looking to buy there anyway as our few pennies wouldnt stretch that far , so it will be a *double wide* somewhere terribly disreputable for us!

Anyway, bacon wrapped in bread has appeared, so off to taste Canadian bacon for the first time. Good luck with the rest of the move Snort - it sounds like you are terribly organised and totally making a good job of the relocation. [/QUOTE]
Old Jan 17th 2008, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ontheboatout

"Be wary, Grasshopper, of the fox that invites you in for dinner" (Kung Fu TV series)
You are showing your age now (probably by knowing that so am I)
Old Jan 17th 2008, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Well I wish you lots of luck Snort - know exactly how you are feeling right now! And from the other side of the move with a family of 5, by a mere 3 days, let me tell you there is light at the end of the tunnel! Though still struggling with 3 children who insist on waking at 4.30 each morning and dementing us! But no time for *nanna naps*.

We have previously emigrated to another country without any help and we are being offered lots of unsolicited help right now, which slightly irks the independent spirits that we are - though 1 :5 reccomendations are actually proving useful. I am not talking about Mike or Orla, I have never met them and have never approached anyone like them in this process. It makes me feel a little sad that maybe people seek out that level of support because they fear being fleeced because they are seen as foreign cash cows - I am sure that is a strong over simplification of what people have said in this thread, but I am profoundly jet lagged and waiting for a bacon sandwhich that is long overdue! The move involves so many things that require outside agencies and of course we all want to know that someone can personally recommend a company or professional, that removes some of the needle in a hay stack fear that we all have. I do think that there is a lot more to the move than the practical aspects, there is an element of adjusting the move, assimilating and becoming part of the community. There is a long settlement period in my previous experience and that is totally normal - I would like to think that these emigration agencies also support that aspect too. And the answer, for me, isnt getting british people together or encouraging a little enclave of expats to form. Having said all that, we havent even been out to have a look round as the snow kept us to pottering round Halifax these past few days. We wouldnt be looking to buy there anyway as our few pennies wouldnt stretch that far , so it will be a *double wide* somewhere terribly disreputable for us!

Anyway, bacon wrapped in bread has appeared, so off to taste Canadian bacon for the first time. Good luck with the rest of the move Snort - it sounds like you are terribly organised and totally making a good job of the relocation.

Rachal
Good to know you have arrived safe and sound and on the computer already, good on ya!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 2:32 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Destinationnovascotia and Corky - I couldnt be too long without my friend the computer..............though when it is some else's I cant sit glued to it endlessly and I cant work out how to get my pictures onto it

Will update you both when I have something coherent to say!! Though the bacon on this occaission was good.........in the line of research I will gladly continue to sample the bacon sandwhiches my husband brings me so I may make a comprehensive assessment of Canadian bacon. Why must Mr Piggy taste so good??

Sorry for the hyjack
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

UKangel is on a distinguished road

Just came across this post as it has been resurrected and though I would add to it.

We recently visited NS for the first time and had a very useful meeting with Mike over a coffee and even if we never meet or speak again, which I am sure we will as I was impressed with him, we were given free information that proved to be invaluable. Some of the assistance given could take weeks to find out.

We also spent and afternoon with Jerry looking around areas and houses and again very helpful and informative. I would recommend them both IMHO
Old Apr 5th 2008, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

It hasn't been resurrected - you resurrected it for whatever reason.