Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anybody used uk2novascotia.com?

Anybody used uk2novascotia.com?

Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:38 am
j42
Forum Regular

j42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nice
Default Re: Anybody used uk2novascotia.com?

oh ok thankyou for that..
Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice

we have not found that however!!!
Old Jan 13th 2008, 11:00 am
j42
Forum Regular

j42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nice

oh right,they do seem most helpful to me.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 2:50 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no experience of them whatsoever, but we have relocated ourselves to another country previous to this relocation to NS, and I would be wary of anyone who do this as a business. They get commission from somewhere, and does that mean that the companies they use are the best ones for you? I would just be somewhat cautious myself, it is a business afterall so how *you* centred is it?

Just my ponderings about using any relocation company, never having used one, those are my reasons why I guess. But certainly there seems to be a good following of people who have very successfully used them - so good luck! But trust your instincts too.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:12 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Ive not used them as such but I have met Mike and found him honest, up-front, helpful and well informed. He lays it all out very plainly - including how he makes his crust - and there's no hard sell. There's no forms to fill or contracts to sign. You can use none, some, or all of his contacts. Up to you 100%.

His info about taxes, property, schooling, weather, all the mundane bits and pieces is useful when youre on your first recce and dont have time to bugger about.

UK2NS has some "bulk deals?" with realtors, car rental, removals, money exchangers, Zoom, job pimps etc so you can save a few bucks there. Fact is you need to deal with all these things at some stage.

At a minimum, UK2NS gives you some confidence that these "preferred suppliers" are not fly-by-nighters of cowboys. If Mike heard a supplier was crap he would just start to recommend another supplier, no? If you had a problem one of the suppliers he can often phone up and mediate (can be useful that what with the time zone and subtle differences in culture).

Disclaimer: I dont use UK2NS at the moment but I have done some due diligence into a realtor, a money exchange and a shipper. All seem to me to be pukka enough and the charges appear to be the same or similar to what I would be paying elsewhere.

I would recommend UK2NS, particulalry if you are interested in the HRM area.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 3:48 pm
j42
Forum Regular

Thankyou
Old Jan 13th 2008, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dormy
I found them helpful while their realtor is working with you, but if you talk to another realtor they will not contact you again
Thats interesting. I met Mike after I had decided to use another realtor and he was a bit sharp with me. He did go on to give me an outline of his other contacts but I have not heard from him since.

I was a bit uncomfortable with the "use our recommendations to protect yourself from sharks where other ex-pats have come a cropper" line. It felt a bit like scaremongering.

I am not saying that they are doing anything illegal. He did inform me of how he gets his income and I was not expected to sign anything. I just felt a bit uncomfortable.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 6:12 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
Thats interesting. I met Mike after I had decided to use another realtor and he was a bit sharp with me. He did go on to give me an outline of his other contacts but I have not heard from him since.

I was a bit uncomfortable with the "use our recommendations to protect yourself from sharks where other ex-pats have come a cropper" line. It felt a bit like scaremongering.

I am not saying that they are doing anything illegal. He did inform me of how he gets his income and I was not expected to sign anything. I just felt a bit uncomfortable.

There are some horror stories about realtors seeing the old dollar signs when a non-canadian comes their way. The german couple spending $600K CAD on a 6 bed 125 acre farmhouse up near Amherst for example is one thats passing into folklore. Sounded a good deal to them at the time until they realised the going rate was more like $150K.

Realtors are reknowned for their, ahem, "efficiency" for parting fools and cash. Canadian realtors are no different and from what I hear from certain Canadian friends, they are worse.

The one I met via Mike was reasonably laid back though. Haven't gone elsewhere yet but the vibe I got was "here's the houses - get back to me if you like any." No hard sell.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wbexpat
There are some horror stories about realtors seeing the old dollar signs when a non-canadian comes their way. The german couple spending $600K CAD on a 6 bed 125 acre farmhouse up near Amherst for example is one thats passing into folklore. Sounded a good deal to them at the time until they realised the going rate was more like $150K.

Realtors are reknowned for their, ahem, "efficiency" for parting fools and cash. Canadian realtors are no different and from what I hear from certain Canadian friends, they are worse.

The one I met via Mike was reasonably laid back though. Haven't gone elsewhere yet but the vibe I got was "here's the houses - get back to me if you like any." No hard sell.
Don't get me wrong, the realtor Mike recommended was perfectly nice, it's just that another one I met appeared to understand what I wanted better. She showed me houses that were really much closer to the brief I had given to them both.

I just feel that my choice of realtor (or any other service for that matter), is my choice and I don't feel that I should have to explain that choice to a relocation agent or any one else for that matter.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 8:40 pm
Truro NS

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
Don't get me wrong, the realtor Mike recommended was perfectly nice, it's just that another one I met appeared to understand what I wanted better. She showed me houses that were really much closer to the brief I had given to them both.

I just feel that my choice of realtor (or any other service for that matter), is my choice and I don't feel that I should have to explain that choice to a relocation agent or any one else for that matter.

I understand.
And I agree 100% with your choices comment.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Snort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really niceSnort is just really nice

We are currently using Mike and Orla at UK2Novascotia to assist us in our move. They are thoughroughly nice people and will be our next door neighbors for a while in a few weeks time. I have spent several 30minute plus phone calls to Orla and she is always willing and able to offer good advice. They cost nothing regaining their money via the firms they reccomend. So their service is FREE, they also offer money off or discounts on some of their reccomendations i.e 100 pounds discount on shipping 2 for 1 flights with Zoom etc. there is no pressure to use their reccomendations, take it or leave it, they also have a good handle on the local job market and companies looking for good workers.

They are coming to our welcome to NS party on 2nd Feb so we will meet them face to face then, but they do make you feel very welcome, all in all very nice people. Oh and by the way they are expats themselves, and have been through exactly the same process as we are all going through, but now have a lot of Canadian experience behind them.

So from the Snort family the answer is a big
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

Mike is a Canadian qualified Realtor - please everyone stop being so naive - there is no such thing as "free" when you are in a business - someone, somewhere pays.

Realtors charge up to whopping 6% commission for a Sale in Nova Scotia that is shared between the company representing the seller and the company representing the buyer - sometimes a single company represents both. So a split with a "recommended by Mike" Realtor still brings home the bacon.

His realtor scare stories he gives have not been encountered by me in reality - pun intended. The Real Estate business in Canada is highly regulated and policed. (See NSREC By Laws)

Remember if you are not yet Resident and plan to sell a property before you are, you have to pay Canada Revenue 33% Capital Gains. I bet Mike didn't tell you that. Ouch!
Old Jan 15th 2008, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all

Just a quick question - I have heard of Mike and Orla and have met Orla. We didnt use their services (don't like the smell of rats much) but good to those who find them helpful.

My question is have they ever promoted any area other than Fall River or close to Fall River?

I'm almost convinced that they have a vested interest in selling land/property there - I maybe wrong, but as mentioned before by others, something just doesn't feel right.

Just my 'penny' for the pot.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nicola N-A
Just a quick question - I have heard of Mike and Orla and have met Orla. We didnt use their services (don't like the smell of rats much) but good to those who find them helpful.

My question is have they ever promoted any area other than Fall River or close to Fall River?

I'm almost convinced that they have a vested interest in selling land/property there - I maybe wrong, but as mentioned before by others, something just doesn't feel right.

Just my 'penny' for the pot.
That's the realtor's business area.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 4:44 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

If I may just stick my 2 cents worth in on this one...

We didn't use UK2NS so I can't comment at all on their service. From what people say it sounds very helpful.

Specifically on the subject of realtors though - be aware that introducing you to a realtor is the aspect of the service that almost certainly brings in the bulk of the revenue for them. As another poster said above, realtor commissions can be up to 6% so on a $400k house there's plenty of room in that $24k for a cut from the commission to cover the cost of meeting with you and providing some advice and introductions. There's nothing illegal or even odd about that - its how the system often works here in Canada.

However, I would never advise anyone to meet with just one realtor. By all means meet with their realtor but make sure you meet with at least some others too. Definitely meet with at least 3 realtors before you decide who to use. Ask them all the same questions (about different areas, types of houses, what's good value and what isnt) and see if you get different answers. Whether you realise or not at the time, your Realtor will have a big influence on your decision of which house to buy and what is a sensible amount to offer for it. The things they tell you about areas, maintenance costs, what the property market is doing, what has good resale potential etc etc are all things you end up relying on to make your decision so your choice of realtor can have a big impact on whether you make a wise purchase or not.

Some realtors will be really honest and tell you that the house you like is way overpriced. Its probably not what you want to hear if you like it but its something you need to know. Others might tell you the price is a bargain and not to waste time negotiating as someone else will beat you to it. After all they dont get paid anything until you buy. The bottom line is that you need someone who is extremely honest and you feel comfortable working with so never, ever meet with only one realtor and automatically take their word as gospel!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.