Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

anybody emigrating/emigrated with little children?

anybody emigrating/emigrated with little children?

Old Aug 16th 2005, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

jemma1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default anybody emigrating/emigrated with little children?

Hi,

Would really like to hear from people who are in/have been in similar situation to ourselves. We are still in the 'seriously considering' stage of emigration, have contacted an agent etc but not sent off the first cheque!

Anyway, we currently have two little boys, aged 18 months and two and a half. We are also expecting a baby jan/feb. Assuming that we started our application pretty soon, our kids would be approx 1, 3 and 4 when we made the move.

Has anybody done this? How well did the kids adapt and what were childcare provisions like in Canada? (we're looking at Ontario).

Many thanks,
Jemma
Old Aug 16th 2005, 1:56 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: anybody emigrating/emigrated with little children?

Originally Posted by jemma1973
Hi,

Would really like to hear from people who are in/have been in similar situation to ourselves. We are still in the 'seriously considering' stage of emigration, have contacted an agent etc but not sent off the first cheque!

Anyway, we currently have two little boys, aged 18 months and two and a half. We are also expecting a baby jan/feb. Assuming that we started our application pretty soon, our kids would be approx 1, 3 and 4 when we made the move.

Has anybody done this? How well did the kids adapt and what were childcare provisions like in Canada? (we're looking at Ontario).

Many thanks,
Jemma
Best time to do it. Ours were 5 and nearly 2 and haven't batted an eyelid.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 2:16 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Many thanks,
Jemma
I didn't migrate with kids but from what I've seen of other people, it's the kids that adapt the easiest.

If you're looking to get a job, better make sure it's a good one. Three kids in full-time daycare will cost a packet.

Why are you using an agent, by the way? There isn't any need, unless your case is unusual.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I didn't migrate with kids but from what I've seen of other people, it's the kids that adapt the easiest.

If you're looking to get a job, better make sure it's a good one. Three kids in full-time daycare will cost a packet.

Why are you using an agent, by the way? There isn't any need, unless your case is unusual.
If you don't use an agent and u know no-one in canada who can you use to represent u?
Old Aug 16th 2005, 2:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Same. My 2yr old is just fine. He could be anywhere, doesn't bother him. He's picking up the accent already from a silly DVD I bought to keep him occupied whilst we unpacked.

Can't find part-time childcare for him though, the spaces round here seem to be fulltime for under 2s or part-time for over 3s only... but he's not driven me too mad yet so he's fine at home with me. Might be different for you with 3!
Old Aug 16th 2005, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy
If you don't use an agent and u know no-one in canada who can you use to represent u?
Represent you to whom?
Old Aug 16th 2005, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to allPatsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Represent you to whom?
to whoever it may concern!

Isnt there somewhere on the forms where it asks u to state who is representing u?
Old Aug 16th 2005, 2:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Isnt there somewhere on the forms where it asks u to state who is representing u?
There's a "Use of Representative" form. That's used to authorise an agent or lawyer to act for you but there's no requirement to have a representative.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 2:57 pm

to whoever it may concern!

If I recall, there is a section on the form where you can identify a person who will sponsor/support you upon your arrival. Having one probably helps but is not a requirement. There is no requirement to have an agent.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 3:33 pm
MCC
Forum Regular

MCC is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Many thanks,
Jemma

Hello Jemma

We are leaving in less than 3 weeks time now. We have a 13 months old and a 4 year old. I would agree that it is the best age. It's just before they start school so no disruption there.

I have no idea about childcare. It's different from province to province. Ie in Quebec it is heavily subsidised.

I also agree that you don't need somebody to represent you unless you have a very unusual case (previous marriage with other children, police problems, etc).

Good luck and all the best

MCC
Old Aug 16th 2005, 3:39 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

How well did the kids adapt
We relocated when our kids were teenagers, which was tough. It's the stage of life at which peers are very important, and losing them is painful.

We have not moved with little kids, but everything I've seen suggests that that is much easier. A pre-schooler's world revolves mainly around his/her parents and siblings. He/she is not yet relying very much on the world beyond home.

That is not to say that a pre-schooler is totally unaffected by a move. Certainly there are things that parents can do to help their children make the transition.

Here is an old discussion thread called Helping kids say goodbye and hello. You may find some useful ideas there. Hope that helps.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by MCC
I have no idea about childcare. It's different from province to province. Ie in Quebec it is heavily subsidised.

I also agree that you don't need somebody to represent you unless you have a very unusual case (previous marriage with other children, police problems, etc).
It's very heavily subsidised in Quebec, which is OK if you're going to live and work in Quebec.

I don't see an agent being much use in either of the two instances you suggest. I had a previous marriage, with a child, in the UK. It wasn't a major issue as far as the CIC people were concerned. If you have a current criminal record, it will show up on your police check. There isn't much an agent can do for you.
Old Aug 16th 2005, 5:41 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Not sure which office your application will be going to, but for skilled worker applications being sent to London CHC, people are apparently being advised of a processing time of up to 36 months (yes, that is 3 years, not a typo).

There are some people who report being processed more quickly that the estimated times so you might get lucky
Old Aug 16th 2005, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

citizen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Many thanks,
Jemma

my boys were 2&5 when we emigrated, adapted better than us, in fact a lot better. they are not `set in there ways ` like us parents
childcare is hard but not impossible to find due to the fact a lot of the families here have both parents who work

regards
citizen
Old Aug 16th 2005, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Linda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond reputeLinda P has a reputation beyond repute

Our children are 6 & 4 and loved Canada from day one. There is so much more to do here both summer & winter and everyone is so family orientated.
Don't forget your money goes a lot further as well!
We are in Edmonton and a friend of mine pays a lot per month for child care (she has two boys).
Good luck!

Linda P.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.