Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anybody else glad to see snow in Ontario?

Anybody else glad to see snow in Ontario?

Old Jan 16th 2007, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

suebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to allsuebed is a name known to all
Default Anybody else glad to see snow in Ontario?

I'm so glad to finally have some proper snow here! My kids were beginning to think their first Canadian winter was going to be just as green as all their English ones. So we celebrated by going tobogganing after school this afternoon and had a great time. Now all we need is a long cold snap so the canal freezes and we can try skating.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 2:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future
Default Re: Anybody else glad to see snow in Ontario?

I'm not enjoying it that much - I hate slush and the streets of Toronto are now full of it! I was quite enjoying a green winter for a change.

However it is fun for the kids and pretty to look at.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 3:48 am
Account Closed

Sean Boxer is an unknown quantity at this point

The problem with Canadian winters isn't that they're too cold but that they go on for so long.
This year is great as we've skipped the first month of snow, as long as it ends at the normal time as normal I'll be happy.

Looking forward to some skiing this weekend, I'm sure the slopes won't be too crowded.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 4:38 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sean Boxer
The problem with Canadian winters isn't that they're too cold but that they go on for so long.
This year is great as we've skipped the first month of snow, as long as it ends at the normal time as normal I'll be happy.

Couldn't agree more. With it being mid-January before our first real dump of snow all being well the winter could well prove to feel fairly short this time around. But we'll see.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

jood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by suebed
I'm so glad to finally have some proper snow here! My kids were beginning to think their first Canadian winter was going to be just as green as all their English ones. So we celebrated by going tobogganing after school this afternoon and had a great time. Now all we need is a long cold snap so the canal freezes and we can try skating.
According to this, the Rideau Canal will be ready for skating.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/wea_winter_weather

I don't mind snow, but I hate that bone-chilling cold that makes you feel like your nose has been ripped off your face! This is what snow shovelling does to me.......
Attached Thumbnails Anybody else glad to see snow in Ontario?-what-snow-shovelling-does-me-.jpg  
Old Jan 16th 2007, 12:29 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm into my 7th Canadian Winter now so the novelty has worn off a bit and I wasn't terribly upset by a green Christmas.

Yesterday made up for it a bit. Souvette had a nostalgic motherly tear in her eye after supper yesterday when the Boy announced that he was going out to "play in the snow" with his friends. He's 17.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 1:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

This is my 9th winter? Strangely, much as I was enjoying not shoveling, it did put a smile on my face to finaly see some decent snow (even if I am informed it was no good for snowmen...Juniors first school snow day yesterday), the view from our front windows was quite beautiful with the contrast between the blue sky, grey river and white everywhere else, I guess I love these cold, sunny winter days...which is just as well given the "highs" in the forecast.

As long as we arent still getting them in April.
Attached Thumbnails Anybody else glad to see snow in Ontario?-forecast.jpg  

Last edited by iaink; Jan 16th 2007 at 2:05 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 1:21 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jood
According to this, the Rideau Canal will be ready for skating.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/wea_winter_weather

I don't mind snow, but I hate that bone-chilling cold that makes you feel like your nose has been ripped off your face! This is what snow shovelling does to me.......

"Ottawa could see temperatures plunge to -26 C by the end of the week, he said, making for ideal conditions for the Rideau Canal skateway.

"We could still salvage winter even though it has come so late," he said."

Could is still a long way from will.

Dont they need ten days in a row below -15 or something? Its going to be cold, but not without the odd warmer day, so thats not likely to happen.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 16th 2007 at 2:04 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 2:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Souvette had a nostalgic motherly tear in her eye after supper yesterday when the Boy announced that he was going out to "play in the snow" with his friends. He's 17.
17? Are you sure he didn't say he was going out to score some snow?
Old Jan 16th 2007, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

jood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by iaink
"Ottawa could see temperatures plunge to -26 C by the end of the week, he said, making for ideal conditions for the Rideau Canal skateway.

"We could still salvage winter even though it has come so late," he said."

Could is still a long way from will.

Dont they need ten days in a row below -15 or something? Its going to be cold, but not without the odd warmer day, so thats not likely to happen.
Perhaps you'll be able to salvage your rink, eh? It's cold enough out here in SW Ontario - I can skate on our driveway without skates! Ouch!
Old Jan 16th 2007, 2:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by jood
Perhaps you'll be able to salvage your rink, eh? It's cold enough out here in SW Ontario - I can skate on our driveway without skates! Ouch!
Looks like it...lets hope so anyway.