Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anybody else feel scared by the annormity of it all?

Anybody else feel scared by the annormity of it all?

Old Jan 17th 2008, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

JSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant future
Thumbs up Re: Anybody else feel scared by the annormity of it all?

To those of you out there who feel scared about the task of emigrating , just take a deep breath and realise that it really is one small step at a time... and as long as you are moving away from a negative and towards a positive all will work out just fine. Always prepare a plan B we found that was the most important thing and give yourself some time to make important decisions you dont have to have it all figured out the moment you arrive! You will feel such a pride in your own achievement when you finally make it something that we all seemed to feel was missing in our lives in uk..... I have lived in NS for over ten years now and have met lots of Brits who have been trying to get here....get as much info as you can before you come , and most of all realise that Nova Scotians are warm and wonderful people and will welcome you into their hearts..........we have never regretted our decision to move from UK.

june
Old Jan 17th 2008, 6:31 pm
j42
Forum Regular

j42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nice
Default Re: Anybody else feel scared by the annormity of it all?

Thankyou june that is lovely
Old Jan 17th 2008, 9:49 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jozzo
Agreed. More so in Canada too, where the general education level is far higher that in the UK. Canada has an extremely high percentage of university graduates. Good grammar and spelling are pretty well expected in the work enviroment over there - so swat up people.
Hmmm I think the spelling here is terrible! Check out www.mls.ca and count the dinning rooms and mountians!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 11:48 am
Just Joined

jozzo is just really nicejozzo is just really nicejozzo is just really nicejozzo is just really nicejozzo is just really nicejozzo is just really nicejozzo is just really nicejozzo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Hmmm I think the spelling here is terrible! Check out www.mls.ca and count the dinning rooms and mountians!
Those are realtors descriptions written in a rush - and yes, they can be terrible. However, ever read a british newspaper these days? Wow - typos and spelling mistakes galore. You won't find that in a canadian newspaper/magazines...

Jozzo
Old Jan 18th 2008, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

lynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by j42
Thankyoumy mum doesn't even know yet dreading crossing that bridge
Well I told my mum earlier tonight!
After 4 months of research and planning I decided to tell my mum of our plans to head for NS and it didn't go as bad as I thought it would. In fact she kept telling me how many people she knew that had already moved over and loved it and that there's no point us returning to the UK as it's gone to the dogs! At the end of the day she wants what's best for her grandchildren and we can go with her blessing even though I know she'd prefer us to be closer to her. Anyway I feel relieved now that I've told her - now I just need to tell my 9 year old!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynpy
Well I told my mum earlier tonight!
After 4 months of research and planning I decided to tell my mum of our plans to head for NS and it didn't go as bad as I thought it would. In fact she kept telling me how many people she knew that had already moved over and loved it and that there's no point us returning to the UK as it's gone to the dogs! At the end of the day she wants what's best for her grandchildren and we can go with her blessing even though I know she'd prefer us to be closer to her. Anyway I feel relieved now that I've told her - now I just need to tell my 9 year old!
Well done. I got the exact same reaction after convincing myself that I'd be disowned.

Don't fret too much about the 9 year old. I got myself in a state over that as well, and, when we did tell her, she soon convinced herself it was the best thing ever. We did make every effort for her to email/MSN other kids who were moving/had moved, reassured her that she would still be in touch with her friends etc. Good luck!
Old Jan 18th 2008, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

JSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant futureJSHalifax has a brilliant future

Nova Scotia is also the closest point to europe so your mum wont have to spend too long in the air...lets face it in UK you could have moved to Scotland and been just as far away...I have a son and grandchild still in UK as his mum and grandmother I would love for him to emigrate.(his partner is not keen though) yes dont worry about your 9 year old they adapt its you thats more worried, if you are happy she will be....
good luck
June
Old Jan 18th 2008, 11:48 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Those are realtors descriptions written in a rush - and yes, they can be terrible. However, ever read a british newspaper these days? Wow - typos and spelling mistakes galore. You won't find that in a canadian newspaper/magazines...

Jozzo

Ocean?
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:22 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Ocean?
Great minds think alike...unfortunately fools seldom differ.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

jozzo is just really nicejozzo is just really nicejozzo is just really nicejozzo is just really nicejozzo is just really nicejozzo is just really nicejozzo is just really nicejozzo is just really nice

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Ocean?

Sorry???

Jozzo
Old Jan 21st 2008, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Great minds think alike...unfortunately fools seldom differ.
Nobody even mentioned 'Ocean' here...

Jozzo
Old Jan 21st 2008, 5:44 pm
yeah....I can do that !

Marathonwreck 2 is a jewel in the roughMarathonwreck 2 is a jewel in the roughMarathonwreck 2 is a jewel in the roughMarathonwreck 2 is a jewel in the roughMarathonwreck 2 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by oldbag
Just a hint - learn to spell - I think you mean 'enormity".
My pointing this out will give everyone on here an excuse to shriek at me - but good English is still important
Learn to spell , Oldbag ???? What and NEVER be accepted as a PROPER Canadian ????
Really.........
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Marathonwreck 2
Learn to spell , Oldbag ???? What and NEVER be accepted as a PROPER Canadian ????
Really.........
Really. There are typos, then there is being able to spell. I see a lot of confusion here with the correct use of words like: there - their, where - were, too - to, and so on...
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:19 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Really. There are typos, then there is being able to spell. I see a lot of confusion here with the correct use of words like: there - their, where - were, too - to, and so on...
... in a way that is not at all dissimilar to the written output of many Canadians, too. I really don't think, jozzo, that you can distinguish the average Canadian from the average Brit on the basis of their spelling, grammar or punctuation. I have seen enough badly-written copy on both sides of the Atlantic - in resumés, in articles submitted for publication, in postings on online talk boards - to convince me that there's very little to choose between either country's citizenry.

By the way, your own argument is drifting somewhat. You earlier criticised the numbers of typos in British newspapers, but now you seem to be defending typos in comparison with the more heinous crimes of actual spelling mistakes. You can't have it both ways. Sure, the Grauniad was (in the hot metal era, not so much these days) infamous for the idiosyncracies of its subediting, but it's no worse than the Globe and considerably more accurate in its typesetting than the Star.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
... in a way that is not at all dissimilar to the written output of many Canadians, too. I really don't think, jozzo, that you can distinguish the average Canadian from the average Brit on the basis of their spelling, grammar or punctuation. I have seen enough badly-written copy on both sides of the Atlantic - in resumés, in articles submitted for publication, in postings on online talk boards - to convince me that there's very little to choose between either country's citizenry.

By the way, your own argument is drifting somewhat. You earlier criticised the numbers of typos in British newspapers, but now you seem to be defending typos in comparison with the more heinous crimes of actual spelling mistakes. You can't have it both ways. Sure, the Grauniad was (in the hot metal era, not so much these days) infamous for the idiosyncracies of its subediting, but it's no worse than the Globe and considerably more accurate in its typesetting than the Star.
Drifting? Not really. Typos in hastily (or lazily) written MLS listings is one thing - misunderstanding the actual meanings of words quite another. By the way, I see these kind of mistakes (their, there etc) in UK papers all the time... Why? Hard to say, although I'd hazard a guess it has much to do with the state of the educational system in the UK today, judging by the people I meet when over there... Have you SEEN the tv show 'Little Britain'?? Jeez, it has to be the worst and most tasteless comedy show ever made, but it speaks volumes about the state of the place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.