Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anybody about to move to Ontario / GTA ??

Anybody about to move to Ontario / GTA ??

Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody about to move to Ontario / GTA ??

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Are you a GU poster too?
I mentioned Guardianista Acres as being the name of the "farm" otraynor and I are trying to buy (or have bought contingent on getting rid of the house). The name was a bit of a joke but now the accountants and lawyers have run with it so we may be stuck with it forever.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:14 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
I mentioned Guardianista Acres as being the name of the "farm" otraynor and I are trying to buy (or have bought contingent on getting rid of the house). The name was a bit of a joke but now the accountants and lawyers have run with it so we may be stuck with it forever.
I never did ask you the origin of YAL's nick.

Where are you buying the farm?
Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I never did ask you the origin of YAL's nick.

Where are you buying the farm?
otraynor? That's a corruption of a family name, maternal grandparent I think, nothing thrilling there. The "farm", which is really a back yard with enough room for a couple of horses, is on the fringe of the GTA. Details to follow when and if it happens.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:25 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Are you a GU poster too?
No, but when I met dbd and his OH in the pub he recounted tales of heated debates on the GU board. You shoulda seen the look on their faces when I told 'em I was a Telegraph reader!
Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
No, but when I met dbd and his OH in the pub he recounted tales of heated debates on the GU board. You shoulda seen the look on their faces when I told 'em I was a Telegraph reader!
Do you believe that many GU posters actually read the Graun? I certainly don't. Then again, I don't post much on GU any more.

<glosses over which UK broadsheet he has saved in his favourites>
Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

otraynor? That's a corruption of a family name, maternal grandparent I think, nothing thrilling there. The "farm", which is really a back yard with enough room for a couple of horses, is on the fringe of the GTA. Details to follow when and if it happens.
Does this mean you'll stop pouring scorn on those benighted folk, like myself, who choose to live north of the 401?
Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Does this mean you'll stop pouring scorn on those benighted folk, like myself, who choose to live north of the 401?
Having to do that is just one of the many humiliating aspects of the idea. I lived quite happily for years without going past Bloor, never mind the 401. Now I shop at the highway 9 market and there's talk of one day seeing Barrie.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:44 pm

there's talk of one day seeing Barrie.
You do like to walk on the wild side, don't you?
Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:48 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Having to do that is just one of the many humiliating aspects of the idea. I lived quite happily for years without going past Bloor, never mind the 401. Now I shop at the highway 9 market and there's talk of one day seeing Barrie.
Thank goodness for google earth. Hwy 9? Good God, man!

<settles comfortably into new scorn-pouring mode>
Old Oct 5th 2006, 3:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

You do like to walk on the wild side, don't you?
No. I don't like animals. I don't like the outdoors. And I don't like abroad. I never wanted even to see Watford, but I am a man and I must go where my dick leads me; even if it's to nags, dogs and Orangeville.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 4:00 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by willmore
Haven't lived in canada long have you?
And you have, losing all knowledge of the concept of sarcasm!
Old Oct 5th 2006, 4:01 pm
Born again atheist

No. I don't like animals. I don't like the outdoors. And I don't like abroad. I never wanted even to see Watford, but I am a man and I must go where my dick leads me; even if it's to nags, dogs and Orangeville.
I'm tempted to let that be the last word on the subject.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm tempted to let that be the last word on the subject.
As if it could be.

He has a point though. Had I been castrated at birth, as opposed to in a divorce court, I wouldn't now be living in Gatineau and I certainly wouldn't have a bleedin' dog. I guess it's the price to be paid for being horny.
Old Oct 5th 2006, 5:00 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

As if it could be.

He has a point though. Had I been castrated at birth, as opposed to in a divorce court, I wouldn't now be living in Gatineau and I certainly wouldn't have a bleedin' dog. I guess it's the price to be paid for being horny.
Come on lads, I,m trying to flog me wares here, You're putting prospective punters off
Old Oct 5th 2006, 5:04 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Buchan6
Come on lads, I,m trying to flog me wares here, You're putting prospective punters off
Oh, sorry. What is it you're trying to sell again?