Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

any1 confirm i can leave my large wooden dog crates at YVR cargo?

any1 confirm i can leave my large wooden dog crates at YVR cargo?

Old Apr 7th 2009, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

kmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to all
Default any1 confirm i can leave my large wooden dog crates at YVR cargo?

Hi Guy's

ive checked the wiki about my query and the last post about this was in 2008

I was just hoping that those of you who have shipped over dogs in wooden crates (ours are 2 labs in large wooden crates) have been able to leave the crates at YVR cargo once you have collected them.

We will be hiring a car, but doubt there will be room for 2 large wooden crates, 2/3 suitcases and a small crate containing our tortoises.

just trying to sort out the logistics as our flights are now booked for june 12th

otherwise, if we do have to take them with us, we will have to smuggle a sledge hammer cos we dont want to take them with us.

would value your advice please

regards

kae
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:13 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any1 confirm i can leave my large wooden dog crates at YVR cargo?

Originally Posted by kmcguinness
Hi Guy's

ive checked the wiki about my query and the last post about this was in 2008

I was just hoping that those of you who have shipped over dogs in wooden crates (ours are 2 labs in large wooden crates) have been able to leave the crates at YVR cargo once you have collected them.

We will be hiring a car, but doubt there will be room for 2 large wooden crates, 2/3 suitcases and a small crate containing our tortoises.

just trying to sort out the logistics as our flights are now booked for june 12th

otherwise, if we do have to take them with us, we will have to smuggle a sledge hammer cos we dont want to take them with us.

would value your advice please

regards

kae

ERM, AFAIK you cant ship dogs in wooden crates no more
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
ERM, AFAIK you cant ship dogs in wooden crates no more
Since when? we shipped over 3 dogs and 2 of them had custom made wooden crates and this was 12 months ago

Still have the crates as they where well made and we had the truck to transport them
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:27 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Since when? we shipped over 3 dogs and 2 of them had custom made wooden crates and this was 12 months ago

Still have the crates as they where well made and we had the truck to transport them
my bad

I was under the impression they all had to be those silly plastic things now
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

kmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to allkmcguinness is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
my bad

I was under the impression they all had to be those silly plastic things now
Hi BC- yes you can def ship in wooden crates have to be IATA regulated etc,

SD102,
how easy to find was the place where you collected them from?

i cant find this anywhere, we will be collecting the car first. we will have 2 large crates..really dont want to take them...happy to leave crates with the cargo place if i can but cant find there contact details despite searching on here, ive even checked the other posting about DIY dog shipping..but nothing.

kae
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:46 pm
Forum Regular

Erica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really nice

Hi Kae

We shipped our Lab from Heathrow to YVR with Air Canada in March 2008 in a wooden crate. Air Canada cargo where we collected our dog were happy to take the crate off our hands as we couldn't fit it in our car either!

Good Luck with your move.

Erica

Last edited by Erica P; Apr 7th 2009 at 8:49 pm. Reason: typo
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

Jo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud ofJo.Ru_onway has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Erica P
Hi Kae

We shipped our Lab from Heathrow to YVR with Air Canada in March 2008 in a wooden crate. Air Canada cargo where we collected our dog were happy to take the crate off our hands as we couldn't fit it in our car either!

Good Luck with your move.

Erica
I'm sure I saw a posting here the other day with someone saying that you could pay to leave them at the airport, not much help but im sure someone will have an exact answer for you shortly
x
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

We came in at Halifax and was easy to find although not near the terminal so had to drive backwards and forwards sorting out payments and getting paperwork signed before we could take the dogs
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:49 pm
Since 010205

l i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nicel i s a is just really nice

Don't know about YVR but we left our large (retriever) wooden crate at Air Canada Cargo at Halifax no problem. They asked us for it actually (although we would have never fitted in the car at the time) as the local dog re-homing kennels love them and collect on a regular basis. So perhaps check with cargo directly and if there's a problem arrange to donate to someone who will collect it. hth.
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway
I'm sure I saw a posting here the other day with someone saying that you could pay to leave them at the airport, not much help but im sure someone will have an exact answer for you shortly
x
Hi RU,

yes i thought i saw that, but was hoping we wouldnt have to pay! its costly enough,

Erika- your reply is helpful thank-you was the cargo place easy to find?
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Erica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really niceErica P is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jo.Ru_onway
x
It was free when we left ours at Air Canada YVR.

Yes it was easy to find and I think it was signposted Air Canada Cargo. Its a huge building. I think the directions are on the YVR website (seems like a long time ago now. Sorry I can't be more precise!)
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by l i s a
Don't know about YVR but we left our large (retriever) wooden crate at Air Canada Cargo at Halifax no problem. They asked us for it actually (although we would have never fitted in the car at the time) as the local dog re-homing kennels love them and collect on a regular basis. So perhaps check with cargo directly and if there's a problem arrange to donate to someone who will collect it. hth.
Hi All,

thanks for all your reply's, i am now starting to relax a little!!! thinking that a reasonable hire car will be fine, the dogs will enjoy the back seat ride, the tortoises in the footwell (still in cage of course) and the cases in the boot. the rates for 1 week car hire to take thecrates is approx 1000 CAD!!!

will keeping looking for cargo contact number- unless some1 has it on here.

thanks again

kae
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Erica P
It was free when we left ours at Air Canada YVR.

Yes it was easy to find and I think it was signposted Air Canada Cargo. Its a huge building. I think the directions are on the YVR website (seems like a long time ago now. Sorry I can't be more precise!)
thanks again Erika, will have another look.
k
Old Apr 7th 2009, 8:58 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kmcguinness
Hi All,

thanks for all your reply's, i am now starting to relax a little!!! thinking that a reasonable hire car will be fine, the dogs will enjoy the back seat ride, the tortoises in the footwell (still in cage of course) and the cases in the boot. the rates for 1 week car hire to take thecrates is approx 1000 CAD!!!

will keeping looking for cargo contact number- unless some1 has it on here.

thanks again

kae
who are you flying with ?
Old Apr 7th 2009, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
who are you flying with ?
Hi 4 bells,

were booked with canadian affair (thomas cook) booked pets monday am

kae