Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any Welshies out there

Any Welshies out there

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Any Welshies out there

Originally Posted by Welsh_Lady
I'm usually either asked if I'm from Enga-land, or if I'm Australian......
nooooo we get that all the time....do u have a really strong Welsh accent??
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

Welsh_Lady is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends if I'm speaking Welsh at the time Seriously though, no not really. I was brought up with English and Welsh friends, and so fluently bilingual in both, and have a "neutral" accent! Although the bloke who came to install the Internet in my house did say I quite sounded like the Queen (And by the way no I don't sound like her to anyone who's actually heard her speak!)
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 3:36 am
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welsh_Lady
Hi All,

I'm pretty new to this forum, but have been reading the topics for a while.

I was just wondering if there were any Welsh Speakers out there?

Moved to Canada last year, settled in New Brunswick for a year, and now we're looking to move to Alberta. Missing the mountains.
Sut Mae, sorry that's one of my stock phrases from school along with diolch yn fawr.

I hail from the Rhondda and moved to Saskatchewan in 2007. We have a friend who came the same time who's from Port Tennant, Swansea.

We have a Welsh Society in Regina, they have been here so long they cannot remember the National Anthem in Welsh so sing English words to it
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

SteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant futureSteveHarris has a brilliant future

Australian, and a few times South African.

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
I bumped into a Welsh lad a few months back....I said to him. "I bet they have fun with u" he just laughed and said they think he's Russian....do Cdn's guess your Welsh.....or wot nationality do they think you are??
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 10:41 am
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

Aberfan girl here! Not a Welsh speaker either, just a few words and phrases here and there.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Another non-Welsh speaker, from Port Talbot.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future

Hi All,

I'm from Clydach, near Swansea and my wife is from Anglesey, North Wales.

We're living in Sherwood Park, Alberta now.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

It's nice to hear there's a few of us out here. Get to speak to my parents on skype often, and my husband speaks Welsh, but both children speak English and some Welsh, panad, diolch, brechdan, sos coch (it's never ketchup!) and some bizzre oddments. But I really miss using it on a daily basis I'm from Caernarfon by the way
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

nige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant futurenige1521 has a brilliant future

We moved from Anglesey to Sherwood Park last October.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

We're actually hoping to move to Alberta soon, once we sell our house in NB