Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any VPNs still work for BBC/ITV?

Any VPNs still work for BBC/ITV?

Old Aug 28th 2016, 12:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any VPNs still work for BBC/ITV?

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
Not sure why people like Netflix so much...
Because it offers a lot in one place without having to sign up to multiple service providers and use an array of gadgets.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 2:51 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
For Android boxes, I recommend the Google Nexus Player (discontinued unfortunately) or NVidia Shield. For closed captioning, you won't get any fo r live programs but for streamed and downloaded ones, you can install addons that search and download the subtitles for you automatically.
They are out of sync with the video, and often the audio is out of sync with the video too Why are you so evangelical about Android boxes? Are you selling them?
Old Aug 28th 2016, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Resurrecting this thread

This evening we can't get Netflix it sees the VPN. This is despite us being set to Canada on Unblockus.
I've had this problem also. I found if I rebooted the computer, after ensuring Unblockus is set to Canada, Netflix would then work for me.
Old Aug 28th 2016, 6:21 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
I've had this problem also. I found if I rebooted the computer, after ensuring Unblockus is set to Canada, Netflix would then work for me.
It happens on the iPad, Android, and laptop. Unblockus has been set to Canada for months too. Will try a reboot though we do switch off every evening.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 2:27 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure about Unblockus, but on UnoTelly there are two different Netflix settings, one for Canada, and one for OFF. If I have it set to Canada it doesn't work (sees the DNS) but if I set it to OFF (no DNS in use) then it works fine.

I agree with the comment about Android boxes being just a bit fiddly. WE have a Nexus Player. I have a few apps installed on it, but I honestly don't use it often unless it's for legit things like Netflix. I have Exodus and one of the football(soccer) apps, can't remember which. I've watched a handful of things on Exodus but it does take a few times to find a stream that a) works, b) is decent quality, and C) doesn't have some random chinese subtitles. Same with the sports, trying to find a stream that doesn't suck takes a lot of work. Yeah yuo can do it but you have to put a bit of time into it.

My dad kept saying that people at work were raving about android boxes and how you can watch tons of stuff for free etc etc etc. I said I've never bought him one because I know he a) won't learn how to use it and b) won't have the patience to use it. But he bought one anyway. I helped him set it up, showed him how to use it, got it all working as long as he had the patience to find streams. He wanted to see if he'd actually use it and then could cut the cord. So I said fine and helped.

Two months ago I unplugged it while I was plugging something else in and when we left I forgot to plug it back in. Decided not to say anything to see if he's actually using it.

He hasn't noticed.

I did overhear him telling my brother that he found it too cumbersome, though, especially if my mom was around as she has even less patience for it. I think he's just not admitting it to me, lol.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 5:57 pm
limey party pooper

on Unblockus you can only select a region there is no "none" option. It was a good suggestion though.

I've checked with Netflix and you just can't use a VPN at all even though you are watching the correct region. ("None") settings notwithstanding.

So our choice is to change VPN or cancel Netflix. Byee Netflix! We're going to try Shomi instead.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 6:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

on Unblockus you can only select a region there is no "none" option. It was a good suggestion though.

I've checked with Netflix and you just can't use a VPN at all even though you are watching the correct region. ("None") settings notwithstanding.

So our choice is to change VPN or cancel Netflix. Byee Netflix! We're going to try Shomi instead.
Do you realise that you can simply change your DNS settings on the thing you are using to access Netflix? It may be that you have simply fallen out of love with Netflix and, that being the case, this is of no interest to you.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 6:27 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. It was still working this weekend for us (we don't use a VPN, though, we're using MediaHint's DNS service). Some months ago the MediaHint system stopped trying to connect us to the US Netflix as they got all pissy about geoblocking, so we just seamlessly transitioned to the Canadian version.

It still works for BBC iPlayer and ITV player and so on (for now). But if the promised iPlayer crackdown actually happens and is effective in stopping us reaching content through the DNS service, we'll probably drop MediaHint and go to (even) more nefarious means to find BBC content. I'm not convinced Showmi or any of the others will be significantly different from Netflix, but would be interested in hearing how you get on with it if you do switch.

None of the commentary on the BBC's crackdown has affected radio services. I know radio's not the ideal medium for you, Bats, so apologies for thread-drifting here. But if I lost the ability to stream the huge heap of Radio4 content I listen to, or the Test Match commentary on 5Live Sports Extra, I would be a seriously grumpy bunny.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 6:40 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
Interesting. It was still working this weekend for us (we don't use a VPN, though, we're using MediaHint's DNS service). Some months ago the MediaHint system stopped trying to connect us to the US Netflix as they got all pissy about geoblocking, so we just seamlessly transitioned to the Canadian version.

It still works for BBC iPlayer and ITV player and so on (for now). But if the promised iPlayer crackdown actually happens and is effective in stopping us reaching content through the DNS service, we'll probably drop MediaHint and go to (even) more nefarious means to find BBC content. I'm not convinced Showmi or any of the others will be significantly different from Netflix, but would be interested in hearing how you get on with it if you do switch.

None of the commentary on the BBC's crackdown has affected radio services. I know radio's not the ideal medium for you, Bats, so apologies for thread-drifting here. But if I lost the ability to stream the huge heap of Radio4 content I listen to, or the Test Match commentary on 5Live Sports Extra, I would be a seriously grumpy bunny.
Me too. It's the only thing that makes work seem not so worky.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 6:59 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

UnoTelly works fine for us on iPlayer so far as well. We've given up trying to access US Netflix. We'll just watch whatever's on Canadian Netflix and for other stuff we'll go back to downloading. I remained to be convinced by Crave/Shomi. I can't be bothered working out which system has which show I want to watch, I don't want to have to browse through 15 different catalogues to work out where a given show is.

Curious to see what happens with the supposed iPlayer crackdown. I MUST WATCH THE BAKEOFF!
Old Aug 29th 2016, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
UnoTelly works fine for us on iPlayer so far as well. We've given up trying to access US Netflix. We'll just watch whatever's on Canadian Netflix and for other stuff we'll go back to downloading. I remained to be convinced by Crave/Shomi. I can't be bothered working out which system has which show I want to watch, I don't want to have to browse through 15 different catalogues to work out where a given show is.

Curious to see what happens with the supposed iPlayer crackdown. I MUST WATCH THE BAKEOFF!
This chrome add on

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...lcahgdjn?hl=en

has worked on my PC for about 3 or 4 weeks now. It was free. Iplayer works fine.

The Bakeoff is there. I watch MOTD and some documentaries on it and worked fine. I'm sure that there is some downfall to it all, but as far as I can see there are downfalls to most of the ways that people on this forum use to deny that they are in the land of Mike Holmes/Don Cherry and Roll up to the Rim.

Thread drift. I find it quite funny that people on this forum are so adament that UK tv is so much better and high brow than North American dreck yet the figures show that shows like X Factor, Big Brother, I'm a celeb get me off this bloody island and other scripted reality drivel is immensely popular in the UK. The UK TV watching public aren't all watching BBC2/BBC3 documentaries and dramas and listening to Radio 4.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 8:19 pm
limey party pooper

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Do you realise that you can simply change your DNS settings on the thing you are using to access Netflix? It may be that you have simply fallen out of love with Netflix and, that being the case, this is of no interest to you.
I have Unblockus set up on the modem so all our gadgets are covered. I know I could remove their settings and maybe go to Unotelly but Netflix has pissed me off with this really so we are off to try Shomi. I'll miss Orange is The New Black and House of Cards tho.

Thanks for trying tho!

I don't blame you. I do listen to the radio a bit these days so I understand. Thread drift too but funnily enough when I wake I have a tinnitus effects that sounds like low volume unintelligible Radio 4. It's rather comforting.

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
This chrome add on

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...lcahgdjn?hl=en

has worked on my PC for about 3 or 4 weeks now. It was free. Iplayer works fine.

The Bakeoff is there. I watch MOTD and some documentaries on it and worked fine. I'm sure that there is some downfall to it all, but as far as I can see there are downfalls to most of the ways that people on this forum use to deny that they are in the land of Mike Holmes/Don Cherry and Roll up to the Rim.

Thread drift. I find it quite funny that people on this forum are so adament that UK tv is so much better and high brow than North American dreck yet the figures show that shows like X Factor, Big Brother, I'm a celeb get me off this bloody island and other scripted reality drivel is immensely popular in the UK. The UK TV watching public aren't all watching BBC2/BBC3 documentaries and dramas and listening to Radio 4.
We'll have a look at that link and see how it works for us.

It does seem harder to find good stuff now. Will have to see what happens without BBC.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 8:20 pm
Concierge

FYI that chrome extension is not free, it's CA$1.99/month.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
FYI that chrome extension is not free, it's CA$1.99/month.
Oh yes..When I downloaded it a few weeks ago it was free. Schnooze you lose
Old Aug 29th 2016, 11:08 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

...But if I lost the ability to stream the huge heap of Radio4 content I listen to, or the Test Match commentary on 5Live Sports Extra, I would be a seriously grumpy bunny.
I don't know if this will be of any use to you but I sometimes listen to 5Live's football pods. Occasionally it won't "work" and this site has proved a useful alternative.
Listen to episodes of 5 live's Football Daily on podbay There may be other BBC radio stuff on there.
There are a number of Radio 4/worldservice programs on CBC during the night like Witness, Fifth Floor, Hardtalk etc and the CBC website has a pod facility, so maybe they are accessible there too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.