Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any VPNs still work for BBC/ITV?

Any VPNs still work for BBC/ITV?

Old Oct 14th 2016, 4:29 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any VPNs still work for BBC/ITV?

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Also, why not stick with Netflix? I don't mind it...
If I couldn't get so much from Primewire, watchseries, vodly etc Netflix would be my next option.

We do, in fact, subscribe to Netflix (multiple device account) and I quite often discover what I've downloaded is on there anyway. I'm just so in the habit of downloading, it stuck

It's also handy to have a direct link to IMDB for what one is considering to view as well. A saved download 'pauses' better than Netflix too.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 5:55 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
Why not switch to Crave? $8/month.
https://www.cravetv.ca/subscribe/

Also, why not stick with Netflix? I don't mind it...
Netflix was fine we watched it a lot but it won't work with Unblockus andas I have it set up on the modem it won't work on anything. It was a choice between Netflix and the Been.

I was wondering about Crave. Does it have much choice?
Old Oct 14th 2016, 6:00 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Netflix was fine we watched it a lot but it won't work with Unblockus andas I have it set up on the modem it won't work on anything. It was a choice between Netflix and the Been.

I was wondering about Crave. Does it have much choice?
I haven't checked to see what's on Crave, but I think they have a one month free trial so you can always just sign up and see what's on there.

Ah, Netflix still works with UnoTelly, even with UnoTelly set up on the router, I just have the region picker set to "off". UnoTelly seems to apply whatever region you pick to Netflix and a few other services, but for services with only one region (like the BBC) it just defaults, so BBC still works, and Netflix just loads the Canadian version.
Old Oct 14th 2016, 7:14 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I highly recommend this app, I have been using it on my AppleTV and it is rock solid for live TV and catch up TV.

https://tvplayer.com/apps

You need your DNS set to UK, and an account in the UK app store to download it.

The channels with PLUS next to them require a five pound a month subscription, the others are free.

TVPlayer: Watch Live TV Online For Free - Channels
Old Oct 16th 2016, 3:26 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I just read this re: Netflix

Netflix hammers cross-border watchers and there may be no way out - Business - CBC News
Old Oct 16th 2016, 10:37 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I think the reason Netflix has gone all hardcore on preventing geo-switching is because of their deal with Disney. We know how anal Disney is about their content, all the "released from the vault for a limited time" stuff to get people to buy their movies before they stop the release. Thus it'd be no shock to find out the deal stated they had to seriously do something to prevent people from being able to watch Disney content in regions the deal didn't allow for it to be viewed.
Old Oct 17th 2016, 3:31 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I only have Canadian Netflix, so don't have anything to compare it with, but for those of you who have been able to log on to versions from other areas is there much difference?

I can see where there would be between the UK and North America, but is the US version much different to Canada's?

I miss the BBC in all it's forms, mainly as a sane sort of descant playing in the background of life, so I'm quite heartened by the vast offering of BBC documentaries that Netflix Canada has, that I can just let burble off to themselves at a low volume.
Old Oct 17th 2016, 4:40 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
I only have Canadian Netflix, so don't have anything to compare it with, but for those of you who have been able to log on to versions from other areas is there much difference? ...
I have often asked this because people have been keen to get US Netflix.

Our Netflix is computer based (also viewable on TV by PS3 and BellAliant's Fibe TV has a Netflix channel to sign onto) and the selection so impressed me I wondered if being computer based it was actually the equivalent to the US version.

Some folk gave examples of what was on NetflixUS but not Canada and I found one that we had and one we didn't so I'm still not 100% sure although I'm siding with it being Canada.

I don't think House of Cards was any later than US though. But maybe that was because it was their own production.

I'm still downloading streams of 90% of what I watch, some of which are on Netflix anyway.
Old Oct 17th 2016, 11:05 pm
Tea Drinker

Originally Posted by MillieF
I only have Canadian Netflix, so don't have anything to compare it with, but for those of you who have been able to log on to versions from other areas is there much difference?

I can see where there would be between the UK and North America, but is the US version much different to Canada's?

I miss the BBC in all it's forms, mainly as a sane sort of descant playing in the background of life, so I'm quite heartened by the vast offering of BBC documentaries that Netflix Canada has, that I can just let burble off to themselves at a low volume.
This website is updated daily and you can see the difference for yourself

Netflix Canada vs USA
Old Oct 18th 2016, 12:34 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Danny B
This website is updated daily and you can see the difference for yourself...
I don't have the patience to look at everything, nor do I recognise most of the titles but on the first couple of pages except for something called 30 on 30 and 6 to 8 year old episodes of 90210 and 19 year old Ally McBeals, it looks like most stuff is on both and then as much on the US version but not Canada as it is the other way round.

Of course it may be that what Canada has that the US doesn't isn't worth watching. On the other hand it's all a matter of taste and most of it - just as with most of NBC/CBS/ABC etc - probably isn't worth watching anyway.

But I imagine there's still quite a bit whatever your taste and whatever version.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 12:58 am
Tea Drinker

Sorry I should have just highligted this info instead!

Netflix Canada: 4764 movies/shows
Netflix USA: 6645 movies/shows

It's a shame they don't make the 1,800 missing titles available on one page.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 1:49 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Danny B
Sorry I should have just highligted this info instead!

Netflix Canada: 4764 movies/shows
Netflix USA: 6645 movies/shows

It's a shame they don't make the 1,800 missing titles available on one page.
That's a bit more useful but still not a good guide.

That 30 for 30 whatever it is that's on US and not Canada...there are 60 episodes listed. So just one title accounts for 60 shows

Then there's 90210. There are 5 seasons listed and probably 20 episodes in each season on US but not Canada. Does that count as 5 shows or 114 that IMDB says?

Just those two titles might account for 174 shows missing from Netflix Canada.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 2:20 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I can see that there might be a problem Danny B, and thank you so much for highlighting it. I do however see that this might not seem problematic for lots of us who have lesser needs.
Old Oct 21st 2016, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

Exodus on Kodi works fine - even runs on a Raspberry Pi connected to a tv. It allows you to access just about any TV programme (or film) on demand, often in HD and with optional subtitles. And no need for a VPN at all!
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 1:14 am
Forum Regular

anders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond reputeanders101 has a reputation beyond repute

So after all this fannying around with vpn, dns and unblockers, downloading and upgrading kodi and still ending up with an unpredictable service at best, I saw a link to the tv system below. I couldn't find much info or reviews on it, but it promised the world, so I bit the bullet and gave it a go. ( i thought it looked a bit dodgy to be honest)
Well, blow me down, the thing actually works. It is brilliant. It is just like having the virgin cable box we used to have in the uk. Similar layout and format. Easy to use. Don't have to find streams, and a lot of the channels have a weeks catch up. Oh my days, all my christmases have come at once. I have disconnected the cable and am now paying $20 for all the British, sky and american channels. There is also a library of sort of Netflix type contact with hundreds of series too. Buffering no more!!! Some might think it is a lot of money a month, however I am more than happy paying for convenience and ease of use.

http://www.expatvision.tv

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.