Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any UK nurses gone to Canada as an LPN?

Any UK nurses gone to Canada as an LPN?

Old Aug 20th 2015, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

---mlm--- is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any UK nurses gone to Canada as an LPN?

i applied through CLPNA last year, after receiving my education & work documents i got granted a provisional licence till i did my exam.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 11:21 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ---mlm---
Has anyone got the link to see express entry points? Ive looked and would have to guess roughly what i may gain with IELTS test.
You're confusingly posting on different threads, Christmasoompa supplied you with the link on your own thread! So you have the ability to get a job and to sit the exam, you need to secure the right to work in Alberta. As far as I can see you have three options:-

1. Find a job, who will supply an LMIA and you can get a temp work permit.
2. Apply through Express Entry for Permanent Residency. Lowest scores for an ITA are around the 450 mark so you would need to achieve that before an invitation to apply. Bear in mind though that PR is assumed to take 6 months from processing so you would need to get up to speed for requirements for that pretty dam quick and be ready to move as soon as you get it. Seems to me you could get PR possibly but then lose your temporary license as you weren't able to get there in time.
3. Provincial nomination- I know nothing about this so I'm only suggesting as I've heard about it, but it might have the same complications as above.

Based on the above, I would be looking seriously at number 1 and possibly targeting the geographical areas no wants to work in. This obviously would not be a long term plan but you just need your foot in the door so to speak. Once you have a job and the all important LMIA, you will score enough points for an ITA and once PR is gained and a full nursing license you would be free to move on.

What does your other half do? Could they help out with a twp with their job?

HTH (and it makes sense )

Last edited by Tirytory; Aug 20th 2015 at 11:26 pm.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 11:33 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Mim

I've thought of another option... You get the exam passed (by flying over to sit it) and then have a full license making yourself more appealing to prospective employers and then gain a twp, and PR.

When is the next exam?
Old Aug 21st 2015, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Too soon for September exam so think January is next date
Old Aug 21st 2015, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

---mlm--- is an unknown quantity at this point

My husband is a truck driver so if we went over on a two off his work I wouldn't be able to work until PR.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

KerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond repute

My dad is a UK truck driver with 20+ years of experience, he's looking for work in Canada !
Old Aug 21st 2015, 5:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KerryCullen1987
My dad is a UK truck driver with 20+ years of experience, he's looking for work in Canada !
Hmmm, tricky one at the mo. Get him to join BE and heads to the truckers section of the forum, loads of helpful guys there that will be able to point him in the direction of any companies with LMIA's.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

KerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond repute

That's fab advice. Thank you! Unfortunately he's not up to speed with the internet but I will do so on his behalf
Old Aug 21st 2015, 5:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KerryCullen1987
That's fab advice. Thank you! Unfortunately he's not up to speed with the internet but I will do so on his behalf
Good idea, if you ask I'm sure you'll get some good advice to pass on to him.

Make sure that he knows he could only apply for PR in certain provinces if his plan is to stay permanently, so he'll need to focus on them (MB & SK are the usual provinces for truckers).

HTH.