Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any UK nurses gone to Canada as an LPN?

Any UK nurses gone to Canada as an LPN?

Old Aug 18th 2015, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

KerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any UK nurses gone to Canada as an LPN?

Hi there,

I am soon to be a UK adult nurse with a BsC. I have been extensively researching the area of an RN in Canada and what requirements there are to pass as of the differences in our nursing programs. For example - missing theory and practice in paeds/maternity/mental health.
Was wondering how the UK adult nurse course would compare with that of an LPN?
If anyone has made this transition and then successfully gone onto to practice as an RN in Canada later on?
Is this easier than going as an RN and flying out to complete modules and practice for 3+ weeks at a time?

I am also aware of the NNAS process and what is required up to the point of registering with the relevant boards

Many thanks

Kerry
Old Aug 18th 2015, 7:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any UK nurses gone to Canada as an LPN?

Just checking, but do you have PR? So you are work authorised?

Because I suspect the answers will be very different if you don't have a visa.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

KerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond reputeKerryCullen1987 has a reputation beyond repute

Also if there was any gaps in knowledge, how was this made up? How long did this take to complete relevant courses/modules etc
Old Aug 18th 2015, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Hi,
No I don't I'm a UK resident. Just looking into my immigration options and how to work towards it.

Thank you
Old Aug 18th 2015, 7:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KerryCullen1987
Hi,
No I don't I'm a UK resident. Just looking into my immigration options and how to work towards it.

Thank you
Okay, that may make things tricky then.

You'll need to check what you score on the CRS for an express entry application. If you score above about 450, then you should get selected from the pool, and invited to apply for PR. But if you score less than that, you'll need a job offer and LMIA to be in with a chance of being selected.

But realistically, getting an employer prepared to pay $1000 and go through all the paperwork for you, plus getting an LMIA granted, isn't likely for any LPN, particularly one with no experience.

So do look into the visa side of things first, as what you wish to do may not be possible. Let us know what you score once you've checked that side of things, hopefully you'll have enough. If not, do you have a spouse/partner? If so, you may find they're more likely to get a job offer?

Best of luck.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

Hi, thanks for the response.

My husband is a UK qualified plumber which is NOC - B. Unfortunately we only scored 411 points � ���� what qualifies as LPN experience? I have worked as a support worker for adults with autism and learning disabilities on and off since 2007, doing casual work since 2013
Old Aug 18th 2015, 9:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by KerryCullen1987
Hi, thanks for the response.

My husband is a UK qualified plumber which is NOC - B. Unfortunately we only scored 411 points ������ what qualifies as LPN experience? I have worked as a support worker for adults with autism and learning disabilities on and off since 2007, doing casual work since 2013
Ok, so based on previous draws one of you will need a job offer and LMIA/Provincial nomination to qualify for PR.

I'd think his chances of that would be much higher if you've only just graduated, but then you'd get an open work permit once he gets a Temp Work Permit, and you could then apply for PR too.

Best of luck.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

Sorry, are you saying chances are higher if I have just graduated? How would I go about getting an open work permit and him a temp work permit? Is this all assuming a job offer has been made?
I have been in contact with lots of people regarding jobs. I've also been talking to someone from Vancouver Island health regarding LPN positions she advised as long as you have current registration then you can apply. But perhaps they would select someone else first.
I feel like it's such a gamble to pay NNAS, then the boards fees and fees for different nursing groups I:e LPN/RN to not get a job offer after all of that?
Old Aug 18th 2015, 9:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

No, I'm saying your chances are much lower than your husbands IMO.

Look at it from a Canadian employer's point of view - to hire you they need to spend $1000, wait weeks (possibly months), do lots of paperwork, and prove that there's no Canadian that can do the job/that you're more qualified and experienced than any Canadian that applies for it (tricky if you've only just qualified and you're competing against Canadians with more experience and aready to work).

I just don't think that's likely for a new graduate I'm afraid.

To get a TWP, your husband would have to do the above and get a positive LMIA proving that no Canadian could do the job he's applied for, then he'd get a TWP and you'd get an open work permit too, which should make much easier for you to find work as the employer doesn't need to go to any hassle/cost to hire you.

Plus you'd then have the 600 extra points for a PR app.

HTH, good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 18th 2015 at 9:49 am.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for your help!
Old Aug 18th 2015, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Yorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond reputeYorkiechef has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I hope this helps, you can complete a LPN COURSE through one of the recognised colleges in Canada. You would obtain a study permit to do this, this I understand, would permit you to work for a limited time, but not as a nurse. As I understand it, your husband would also be able to work. This would give you the opportunity to have a proper look at the country and perhaps make some key contacts for employment in due course. You would then have your registration, quals, degree and so on, I suspect you would then find in much easier to get SUFFICIENT EE points. You may want to consider this.
Old Aug 18th 2015, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for the very helpful advise! It's nice to have some positive news
Old Aug 20th 2015, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

---mlm--- is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a conditionally licence to work as an LPN but unfortunately didn't emigrate due to work permit changes with my husbands job, it doesn't expire till may 2016. Not sure what to do for the best?
Old Aug 20th 2015, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

How did you get that license? I suppose it depends on how quickly you want to move out. H have spoken to a lady who got chosen from the express entry pool with no job offer which is very exciting news!
Old Aug 20th 2015, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

---mlm--- is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone got the link to see express entry points? Ive looked and would have to guess roughly what i may gain with IELTS test.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.