Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any of these viable places live?

Any of these viable places live?

Old Nov 30th 2015, 3:51 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Any of these viable places live?

Anyone been to any of the below places in BC? They all appear small and fairly isolated on the map, as in not too near a sizable city.

Port Alberni- Seems to be jobs mostly in the health authority, they even have a doctor position advertised, other jobs seem to be Starbucks and money mart and some skilled labor.

But they have a fair amount of houses in our price range. Anyone been there?

Other places that come up on MLS in our price range

Deroche, I've been there nothing there and could not be an option.

Princeton

Merritt

Clinton

Barriere

Texada Island

Seems to be about it for BC, not looking very good........

Chilliwack has one, but says zoned light industrial, does that mean you can't live in it anymore as a residence? Ad doesn't say.

Mission has 1 but need a lot of work and wouldn't be our budget with the work it needs.

Lower Mainland has zip, as does the Sea to Sky corridor. Campbell River which would be a nice place for us, has 1, but it just a frame of a house, everything inside has been gutted.

There are placed like Mudge island or Savary Island, but I don't think they have ferry service or running water since many seem to only have an out house.

We can't qualify for a traditional mortgage and they will only provide one for something in BC.

This is what is in our range in Campbell River...

4054 ISLAND S HWY, CAMPBELL RIVER, British Columbia V9H1A3 - 392685 | Realtor.ca

1040 DOGWOOD STREET, CAMPBELL RIVER, British Columbia V9W3A2 - 398224 | Realtor.ca
Old Nov 30th 2015, 6:35 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any of these viable places live?

What about starting out with a townhouse, or isn't that within the rules for the mortgage?

#23-400 ROBRON ROAD, CAMPBELL RIVER, British Columbia V9W5N5 - 399867 | Realtor.ca 3 bedroom $124k with ocean views and totally refurbished.

#9-1315 CREEKSIDE WAY, CAMPBELL RIVER, British Columbia V9W8A9 - 400472 | Realtor.ca 2 bedroom $137k
Old Nov 30th 2015, 6:56 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
What about starting out with a townhouse, or isn't that within the rules for the mortgage?

#23-400 ROBRON ROAD, CAMPBELL RIVER, British Columbia V9W5N5 - 399867 | Realtor.ca 3 bedroom $124k with ocean views and totally refurbished.

#9-1315 CREEKSIDE WAY, CAMPBELL RIVER, British Columbia V9W8A9 - 400472 | Realtor.ca 2 bedroom $137k
Town Houses are okay, the total payment per month including taxes and strata just can't exceed 940 per month.

Just depends on how high the strata fees if any are.

I was just wanting a house so I could have my aquariums and pond.....
Old Nov 30th 2015, 7:13 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps look into taking the mortgage over 30 years? I know you end up paying a lot more overall, but it would reduce your monthly payments.

As an example, my son and I have a 30 year mortgage (because he's young, lol) and our monthly payments on $150,000 mortgage are $487 a month.

Old Nov 30th 2015, 7:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Perhaps look into taking the mortgage over 30 years? I know you end up paying a lot more overall, but it would reduce your monthly payments.

As an example, my son and I have a 30 year mortgage (because he's young, lol) and our monthly payments on $150,000 mortgage are $487 a month.

It would be over 30 years, the total monthly payment with taxes and any strata fees just can exceed the 940 per month.

We just have to pay down some debt first, and then choose a location where we can find jobs, and a house/town house.

Only thing is since it's a credit union, has to be in BC. Not available outside of BC.

It's not most ideal way to buy but is the only option for us, as they base the monthly payment on what you pay in rent now, and loan the down payment. The 20% down payment is paid back in the first 10 years, then you can sell penalty free, if sold in the first 10 years there is a penalty.

We may not do it, but it's the only option as our income will keep us from every getting a traditional mortgage.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 30th 2015 at 7:44 am.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 4:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Port Alberni
For about half an hour I was seriously looking at this place.

With the target being somewhere with affordable home and a rental property, I was astonished to find both within the price range in this town.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 4:56 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Campbell River is a big fishing destination. There's a big lodge there, with lots of septics visiting, so there's seasonal tourist business for employment. I'm sure its a bit of shit hole in the winter but you should be able to find something, even if its just working at the lodge or somewhere in the town.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Oink
Campbell River is a big fishing destination. There's a big lodge there, with lots of septics visiting, so there's seasonal tourist business for employment. I'm sure its a bit of shit hole in the winter but you should be able to find something, even if its just working at the lodge or somewhere in the town.
We have been to Campbell River a few times (wifes brother lives over there on Quadra Island) and seems okay town wise, nothing to write home about, but not horrible either, seems to have all the basic amenities, and amenity wise exceeds what we have now...lol

Squamish is a bit of a hole most of the year, mostly due to lack of amenities.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 5:05 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

We have been to Campbell River a few times (wifes brother lives over there on Quadra Island) and seems okay town wise, nothing to write home about, but not horrible either, seems to have all the basic amenities, and amenity wise exceeds what we have now...lol

Squamish is a bit of a hole most of the year, mostly due to lack of amenities.
Have you considered the sunshine coast?
Old Dec 1st 2015, 6:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Have you considered the sunshine coast?
Kind of. Seem's a bit hard to get out though, don't you have to go the the main island, then connect to get to the mainland?

I am starting to think there is just nowhere in BC on the southern end in our price range, can't go too far north due to the need to access the US easily.

Powell River looks to be around the same cost as Campbell River, possibly able to find something there, we won't have a big budget so very limited to what we can get, 2 or 3 years before we can actually buy anything, but planning stages right now.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Dec 1st 2015 at 6:54 am.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 1:45 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I am starting to think there is just nowhere in BC on the southern end in our price range, can't go too far north due to the need to access the US easily.
Is your US need just (or mainly) for San Diego? And presumably you drive there.

I'm just thinking that Ontario always strikes me as fairly enlightened for health services so you may be okay there on the medical front.

From the research I've done there's a whole bunch of places I could afford so it may be true for you too and work opportunities would likely be better.

San Diego would be more difficult but who knows, maybe you'd have that much spare cash you could fly.

There's even a place in Richmond Hill (where Novo lived I believe) for $600 a month for someone willing to dogsit.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 8:17 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Is your US need just (or mainly) for San Diego? And presumably you drive there.

I'm just thinking that Ontario always strikes me as fairly enlightened for health services so you may be okay there on the medical front.

From the research I've done there's a whole bunch of places I could afford so it may be true for you too and work opportunities would likely be better.

San Diego would be more difficult but who knows, maybe you'd have that much spare cash you could fly.

There's even a place in Richmond Hill (where Novo lived I believe) for $600 a month for someone willing to dogsit.
Yeah, ease of access to California in the event of an emergency. If we lived too isolated or far it would be difficult since flying from anywhere up north in BC costs a small fortune especially if not booked months in advance.

Ontario could be a possibility, I don't know if all the area's are like where I was, but finding a doctor was near impossible. I never did find one, and I signed up for a service (gov't one) that notifies/assists one and I forgot about it, and 2 1/2 years after I moved, I got an email asking if I needed a doctor still as they had one in my area...

Plus the whole disability income which supplements things since my wife can't work full-time. Could potentially take years or never happen in Ontario.

I know someone there who was in disability in BC and moved there 3 1/2 years ago and is still waiting working through the system.

Mobility one does not have when on provincial disability.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 11:14 pm
Oscar nominated

Plus the whole disability income which supplements things since my wife can't work full-time. Could potentially take years or never happen in Ontario.
Yeah, I remember that being an issue but I do seriously think there's a possibility you might be better off if you were both earning the sort of money you're both used to and with a lower rent, regardless of what happens to disability money, in places other than BC.

And providing the need to fly to California didn't happen too often you might have something spare.

And if the disability money ever did come through, think of the bonus. You could throw a party and invite BE members. Not all of us of course.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 6:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Yeah, I remember that being an issue but I do seriously think there's a possibility you might be better off if you were both earning the sort of money you're both used to and with a lower rent, regardless of what happens to disability money, in places other than BC.

And providing the need to fly to California didn't happen too often you might have something spare.

And if the disability money ever did come through, think of the bonus. You could throw a party and invite BE members. Not all of us of course.
We may go to the US even. Would put us back 3-5 years on a house but small time in the big picture.

Looking at jobs that require very short term courses and considering the cost there is substantially lower for said training, access to better jobs is easier.

Looking at Phlebotomist/Lab Assist the average salary range is $28,404-$35,133 and my wife can work part-time, figure we might clear 45k a year to 50k a year there.

For what we pay here for apartments, you can rent a house in some area's of Phoenix region and not all are in the bad parts either....
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 6:43 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

In your position I'd go to the US because you have better job opportunities, lower cost of living (and maybe renting a small apartment in the short term rather than a house would reduce the time frame for buying), plus easier access to family.

It is also somewhere that you actually want to live, whereas in BC you are just trying to find somewhere that's cheap but that probably won't offer you anything much different to what you have now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.