Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any Study groups for CIMA / CMA in Halifax????

Any Study groups for CIMA / CMA in Halifax????

Old May 4th 2010, 8:30 am
Just Joined

NigenAmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Study groups for CIMA / CMA in Halifax????

Hi All,

I'm currently studying CIMA and will hopefully be completing this in halifax through distance learning before starting the process of converting to CMA. We are going through the CI stream and are arranging our first Recce trip this September.

I was just wondering if anybody know's of any study groups in Halifax that I could join as part of my commitment to the community, or anyone that's studying CIMA or CMA over there.

Many Thanks
Amy
Old May 4th 2010, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

HPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to all
Default Re: Any Study groups for CIMA / CMA in Halifax????

Hi Amy,

Here is the link to CIMA Canada. Not sure what is available in NS but I know there are group meet-ups here in Alberta.

www.cimacanada.org

You can request dual membership with CMA once you have obtained three years relevant work experience in Canada.

I think the exam centre is Toronto, it might be closer to find one in the US though, I know there is one in the New York Area.

Good luck with the studies!

Helen

Last edited by HPJOS; May 4th 2010 at 2:05 pm. Reason: Additional info
Old May 5th 2010, 6:31 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HPJOS
Hi Amy,

Here is the link to CIMA Canada. Not sure what is available in NS but I know there are group meet-ups here in Alberta.

www.cimacanada.org

You can request dual membership with CMA once you have obtained three years relevant work experience in Canada.

I think the exam centre is Toronto, it might be closer to find one in the US though, I know there is one in the New York Area.

Good luck with the studies!

Helen
Hi Helen,

Many thanks for this, although, I've already been in touch with them and they don't know of any study groups in Halifax so never mind. I was just wondering if maybe anyone had created their own!

Think I'm going to have to make a holiday out of exam times. Not been to New York so that could be a good idea.

Cheers
Amy
Old May 5th 2010, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

HPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to all

Not sure how many exams you have done but have you considered switching to CMA? The only reason I ask is that you might find you have some exemptions and may already meet requirements to sit the entrance exam and enroll on their program and get qualified faster. Employers do recognise CIMA but know CMA more. CMA is mainly assignments with one exam in the first year of the program and then more assignments followed by a board report that January. The main hurdle is passing the entrance exam to the program which has a notoriously low pass rate but not unlike most of the CIMA exams there. The program follows more of a semester timetable rather than CIMA where you can decide which exams to sit and when.

Just a thought, CIMA recognise CMA too so you can still have both designations if you wish!

Helen
Old May 5th 2010, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by HPJOS
Not sure how many exams you have done but have you considered switching to CMA? The only reason I ask is that you might find you have some exemptions and may already meet requirements to sit the entrance exam and enroll on their program and get qualified faster. Employers do recognise CIMA but know CMA more. CMA is mainly assignments with one exam in the first year of the program and then more assignments followed by a board report that January. The main hurdle is passing the entrance exam to the program which has a notoriously low pass rate but not unlike most of the CIMA exams there. The program follows more of a semester timetable rather than CIMA where you can decide which exams to sit and when.

Just a thought, CIMA recognise CMA too so you can still have both designations if you wish!

Helen
Hi Helen,

This is what I originally thought would be the best idea, however, I've spoken to CIMA and emailed CMA and both have said that I must complete CIMA first then it is just a case of gaining Canadian experince to convert as they have a mutual recoginition with each other now. By the time we move out I should hopefully only have Strategic level (3 exams sat together) and Topcima (Case study) to pass so I suppose I may as well finish it off.

Many thanks for your advice. What's Alberta like for available work for accountants? we are definitely moving to Halifax but just wondering.

Amy
Old May 5th 2010, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Amy,

There are jobs here, you just have to look a little harder than a couple of years back. Accountancy is one of the few fields where a job agency can help, that is how I got my job although the oil & gas industry is, I am finding, quite of a clique in itself and very hard to break into, most accounting staff at my company came in through graduate placements and there are not that many experienced hires from other industries. I think I am one of only two on the floor of approximately 30.

Couldn't comment on NS though, my advice is hunt around, call people, get yourself a little network of professionals around you. The amount of people I know that get jobs because they know someone is amazing.

Happy studying
Helen