Any Regrets UK to Canada

Wikiposts

Any Regrets UK to Canada

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

bombayshuffle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any Regrets UK to Canada

Originally Posted by iaink
Generally the unhappy ones misjudged the employment situation. The only one I can think of who had a good job and choose to go back to the UK was Julius Smith....and last I saw he was trying to figure out if/how/when to return to Canada.

250000 people come to Canada every year. Its unreasonable to expect all of them to be happy.

I still stand by my signature statement.
absolutely spot on - employment is definitely something that requires a lot of research - speaking french (in ottawa) and security clearance as well are major factors.
shame, but as a south african matey once said to me "you can't live on love & fresh air"

cheers
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 2:25 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by creme_anglaise
erm, well i don't really have a 'normally' i suppose! i worked for a year after sixth form at a petrol station to get enough to support myself at uni, (Nottingham), where i did English Lit and Russian, but i graduated in June, and moved straight here. aside from that, it was working night-shifts at said petrol station in holidays to try and make ends meet.

met hubby on my study year in Russia, (he'd gone there to finish writing his MA thesis- politics), and the rest is history. i'm hoping to do an MA in mass communications at Carleton next year, and work and learn French in between...
Whereabouts in Gatineau are you? If you're out near Aylmer, you shouldn't have much problem finding Anglos to talk to.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 2:40 am
Just Joined

creme_anglaise is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Whereabouts in Gatineau are you? If you're out near Aylmer, you shouldn't have much problem finding Anglos to talk to.
um, we're in Hull, between the Plateau and Taché. i heard there were a lot of Anglos in Alymer.... it's just finding something to do that doesn't cost money, and doesn't need the police check, like the volunteer work, so i can meet anyone! lol.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 3:00 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by creme_anglaise
um, we're in Hull, between the Plateau and Taché. i heard there were a lot of Anglos in Alymer.... it's just finding something to do that doesn't cost money, and doesn't need the police check, like the volunteer work, so i can meet anyone! lol.
Just a thought. You might want to check out the Western Quebec School Board (handles private English schooling). Its HQ is in Aylmer. It could be a good networking opportunity.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 3:07 am
Just Joined

creme_anglaise is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for the help that sounds like a great suggestion!