British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Any one from Midale????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/any-one-midale-554658/)

jcresswell Aug 11th 2008 7:40 pm

Any one from Midale?????

Hi

we are moving to Midale soon and need some info on what is it really like, is there much to do,

what are the houses and prices like? we love a good meal out is there much choice?

Any help would be brill

AmyDavid Aug 11th 2008 10:03 pm

Re: Any one from Midale?????

Where in Canada is that then?

Oakvillian Aug 11th 2008 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by AmyDavid (Post 6670193)
Where in Canada is that then?

According to Google it's a town of some 500 souls in rural southern Saskatchewan, I wouldn't hold out too much hope for a choice of eateries...

bazzz Aug 11th 2008 10:16 pm

Christ, it looks the kind of place where they'd eat each other (interpret that how you like).

On the bright side, they've got four (count 'em) churches.

mandymoochops Aug 11th 2008 10:22 pm

Its probably the kind of place where you learn to cook very quickly if you like good food. Blimey - 500 is small :blink:

I live in a backwaterish place with around 5000 and can honestly say that its a toss up between A+w, McD's and Dairy Queen.

But then again I like cheeze whizz sandwhiches!!!!!

Joking aside you may need to dine out of town!

R I C H Aug 11th 2008 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by jcresswell (Post 6669750)
what are the houses and prices like?

Currently the property market offers few options (well, 2, anyway):

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyResults.as...of=1&ps=10&o=A

AmyDavid Aug 11th 2008 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by jcresswell (Post 6669750)
Hi

we are moving to Midale soon and need some info on what is it really like, is there much to do,

what are the houses and prices like? we love a good meal out is there much choice?

Any help would be brill

What is taking you to Midale? Work or family?

AlexInBC Aug 11th 2008 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by mandymoochops (Post 6670248)
Its probably the kind of place where you learn to cook very quickly if you like good food. Blimey - 500 is small :blink:

I live in a backwaterish place with around 5000 and can honestly say that its a toss up between A+w, McD's and Dairy Queen.

But then again I like cheeze whizz sandwhiches!!!!!

Joking aside you may need to dine out of town!

Wow - I've just had a look at Midale on Google Maps and had to zoom out rather a long way before seeing any place names I recognised, LOL!

Everyone considers our nearest village (Valemount) to be a very small community and we've a population of about 1200. Only 500 residents is really tiny! We have a pretty good choice of restaurants here but that's because it's a bit of a touristy place, which I don't think could be said of Midale.

What makes you want to move there?

Warren Green Aug 11th 2008 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by AlexInBC (Post 6670301)
Wow - I've just had a look at Midale on Google Maps and had to zoom out rather a long way before seeing any place names I recognised, LOL!

Everyone considers our nearest village (Valemount) to be a very small community and we've a population of about 1200. Only 500 residents is really tiny! We have a pretty good choice of restaurants here but that's because it's a bit of a touristy place, which I don't think could be said of Midale.

What makes you want to move there?

You will have a great time you will meet lots of great people.
I have a home near Craven Saskatchewan (Google that) it was one of the best places to live, The genuiness helpfullness from Saskatchewn people will serve you well, good luck

What will you be doing there

Warren

clynnog Aug 12th 2008 12:12 am

Originally Posted by R I C H (Post 6670252)
Currently the property market offers few options (well, 2, anyway):

http://www.mls.ca/PropertyResults.as...of=1&ps=10&o=A

Quite the range in properties....

IIRC Midale has the dubious honour of having the hottest temp in Canada.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_weather_records

Purley Aug 12th 2008 2:42 am

I think you could well live in Estevan. Not sure how far, but it doesn't look very far on the map.

jcresswell Aug 19th 2008 8:43 pm

Thank you all I have secured a job on a farm over there atthe moment we just need to work out the fastest way of getting there now!!

Is there much gang trouble over there as we have a young son we want to bring him up in a safe town or place

kidmeup Aug 19th 2008 10:38 pm

i visited weyburn not long ago and thats ok and not too far away.
moose jaw is better and i think you would prefer there.
housing is more expensive down that way due to the oil boom in the next province.
renting a house/apartment you might find quite difficult,i would certainly get on the search now.housing is at a shortage in the south and other places.
i live in a very small town further north and renting is difficult and buying the 'right' house is almost impossible.

as for scenery there aint much,not many trees just big big open fields full
of crops.

as for the folks of sask,they are very very friendly and polite.
you WILL love it over here.

as for eating out,my town has tow rib eateries,subway,A&W,robins doughnuts,another pizza place.thats it.dont think you are going to get the same quality of foodie places as back at home.you aint.unless you go the cities,were your choices are more varied.this does take some adjusting to as i love to eat out but find it better to eat in,if you can locate the ingredients!!! thats another story.

hope this helps

jcresswell Aug 20th 2008 7:08 am

thanks yea that helps alot, fingers crossed where I will be working have us a small house set up so we can have a good look then.

we have a young son so we tend to stay in more now I remember the days when we use to eat out:(

how long have you been in canada?

cheers for the help

christmasoompa Aug 20th 2008 7:33 am

Originally Posted by jcresswell (Post 6695493)
Is there much gang trouble over there as we have a young son we want to bring him up in a safe town or place

I have to confess I burst out laughing when I read your question about 'gang trouble'!! Bearing in mind you will be living in somewhere with even less people than we have in our tiny little English village (pop 700 people), and somewhere with 4 churches for such a tiny population, I should imagine that gangs are highly unlikely!

:rofl: