British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Any ODPs in Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/any-odps-canada-931305/)

waweru20 Feb 24th 2020 11:18 am

Any ODPs in Canada

Looking at immigrating to Canada as an ODP (Operating Department Practitioner) as we are known in U.K.
Looking for any who have successfully immigrated and doing the job. Also what title to we go under in Canada. Thanks in advance

Novocastrian Feb 24th 2020 11:22 am

Re: Any ODPs in Canada

Originally Posted by waweru20 (Post 12811011)
Looking at immigrating to Canada as an ODP. Looking for any who have successfully immigrated and doing the job. Also what title to we go under in Canada. Thanks in advance

It might help if you mentioned what an ODP is in whatever country you're from.

christmasoompa Feb 24th 2020 11:28 am

Looking at immigrating to Canada as an ODP. Looking for any who have successfully immigrated and doing the job. Also what title to we go under in Canada. Thanks in advance

Hi, welcome to BE. I just did a quick search of the forum and seems an ODP is called an Anaesthetic Technician in Canada, hope that helps a bit.

Do check in to what you'll need to do to be able to work in Canada, I'd assume it's a regulated profession so you'll need to sit exams etc, you could do that alongside your visa application though as if it's anything like other medical professions, it could take a heck of a long time!

Good luck.

Siouxie Feb 24th 2020 2:49 pm

Information on the licensing requirements - depending on which NOC code it is... links to licensing bodies for each Province are on these weblinks too.
Anesthesia Technologist - https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...ments/22773/ca
Anesthesia Assistant - https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketreport/requirements/24909/ca

Peggie Oct 15th 2020 2:32 am

Looking at immigrating to Canada as an ODP (Operating Department Practitioner) as we are known in U.K.
Looking for any who have successfully immigrated and doing the job. Also what title to we go under in Canada. Thanks in advance

I hope someone will know something about this question. Am an ODP and moved to Canada last summer but seems I’ve hit a brick wall regarding getting registered here. Please if someone knows something please share

Siouxie Oct 15th 2020 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Peggie (Post 12922054)
I hope someone will know something about this question. Am an ODP and moved to Canada last summer but seems I’ve hit a brick wall regarding getting registered here. Please if someone knows something please share

Hello and welcome to BE!

I think that position may be called 'Operating Room Technician' NOC 3233.. you can read a full description to check - and more of the requirements and the links to the Provincial licensing bodies on this link: https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...ements/4381/ca
but also read in the posts above - it could be
Anesthesia Technologist - https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketrepo...ments/22773/ca
Anesthesia Assistant - https://www.jobbank.gc.ca/marketreport/requirements/24909/ca
:)

The1Anton Oct 16th 2020 6:38 pm

As much as I know as an anaesthetist in the UK, Canada does not have ODPs. In the equivalent of cottage hospitals (of which there are many given how much of Canada is not densely populated urban areas), I believe anaesthetists are expected to do everything without them. In bigger centres they have 'anaesthetic nurses' who sound very much like ODPs in their duties minus the being present throughout the case part. It sounds like they help with induction then go off to the next theatre where they may be needed. I only know this as I made enquiries about a position in Canada and wanted to compare systems.

If you are 'nursing background' ODP, you will probably have a better chance than 'diploma ODP' if I would hazard a guess.

Peggie Oct 16th 2020 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by The1Anton (Post 12922682)
As much as I know as an anaesthetist in the UK, Canada does not have ODPs. In the equivalent of cottage hospitals (of which there are many given how much of Canada is not densely populated urban areas), I believe anaesthetists are expected to do everything without them. In bigger centres they have 'anaesthetic nurses' who sound very much like ODPs in their duties minus the being present throughout the case part. It sounds like they help with induction then go off to the next theatre where they may be needed. I only know this as I made enquiries about a position in Canada and wanted to compare systems.

If you are 'nursing background' ODP, you will probably have a better chance than 'diploma ODP' if I would hazard a guess.

Thanks for the reply...my degree is purely ODP and the problems am having is that of registration as there’s no HCPC equivalent Canada. Luckily am still registered in the UK and been back a few times to work whilst looking at options here.

Brooks52 Oct 16th 2020 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by Peggie (Post 12922696)
Thanks for the reply...my degree is purely ODP and the problems am having is that of registration as there’s no HCPC equivalent Canada. Luckily am still registered in the UK and been back a few times to work whilst looking at options here.

I’m a UK trained Scrub nurse who now works as a perioperative RN in BC. There are no ODPs here, and as the pervious poster mentioned, we have anaesthetic assistants who rotate through the theatres as needed- they even intubate and insert arterial lines! The circulating nurses will assist the anaesthetist otherwise. As well, anaesthetic assistants are unregistered here in BC, and consequently are not on the same pay scale as RNs like ODPs are in the UK.

I don’t know of any UK trained OPDs that work here in BC, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist. If BC is somewhere where you think you would like to live perhaps try contacting the colleges or universities that offer the AA programs or getting the contact details of the perioperative clinical educators at a hospital. they may direct you as to whether they would accept your qualifications as they are or if you would require additional education.

Peggie Oct 16th 2020 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Brooks52 (Post 12922703)
I’m a UK trained Scrub nurse who now works as a perioperative RN in BC. There are no ODPs here, and as the pervious poster mentioned, we have anaesthetic assistants who rotate through the theatres as needed- they even intubate and insert arterial lines! The circulating nurses will assist the anaesthetist otherwise. As well, anaesthetic assistants are unregistered here in BC, and consequently are not on the same pay scale as RNs like ODPs are in the UK.

I don’t know of any UK trained OPDs that work here in BC, but that doesn’t mean they don’t exist. If BC is somewhere where you think you would like to live perhaps try contacting the colleges or universities that offer the AA programs or getting the contact details of the perioperative clinical educators at a hospital. they may direct you as to whether they would accept your qualifications as they are or if you would require additional education.

Thanks a lot for the info. Am in BC and so far I’ve been talking to universities and colleges regarding the possibility of getting credits for my ODP degree so I can do RN degree but even this is proving so hard as most of the ODP modules are in perioperative care. Just the thought of studying for 4yrs BSN is traumatising! I’ll see if I can get in touch with the perioperative clinical educators as it’s something I’ve not explored yet.