British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Any military here in Canada? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/any-military-here-canada-701042/)

keznjj Jan 18th 2011 11:49 am

Re: Any military here in Canada?

ex army here, just moved here 7 months ago to Toronto. PM us if you need any info ;)

roxye3 Jan 18th 2011 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 9108061)
Just wondering if we have any military folks on the forum here in Canada?

Ex Army. Royal green Jackets.

Souvy Jan 19th 2011 12:00 am

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 9110399)
Thanks for the response guys....I should have specified that Brits in the Canadian Forces is what I meant. I wasn't military in the UK, but did a career change and joined as a signals officer here

How did you manage that? I would have thought that the CF would only take Canadians in signals. Clearly I'm wrong.

Nelson1805 Jan 19th 2011 1:18 am

Originally Posted by roxye3 (Post 9112499)
Ex Army. Royal green Jackets.

One of the brilliant "Chosen Men?" haha :)

ultrarunner Jan 19th 2011 1:37 am

Originally Posted by Souvy (Post 9113049)
How did you manage that? I would have thought that the CF would only take Canadians in signals. Clearly I'm wrong.

To join the CF, you have to be a citizen, use to be only PR was needed before 9/11. You can go as a NCM or Officer if you have a university degree, so I went the officer route.

You are sent to st jean Quebec for basic training, then you start your trade training, and once you've earned your cap badge, you are posted to a unit. Where I work here in Ottawa, we just had a Brit army Major convert to the Canadian Forces after he decided he liked Canada after his exchange program was running out, but he is logistics by trade.

I am a Captain by rank

Souvy Jan 19th 2011 1:47 am

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 9113263)
To join the CF, you have to be a citizen, use to be only PR was needed before 9/11. You can go as a NCM or Officer if you have a university degree, so I went the officer route.

You are sent to st jean Quebec for basic training, then you start your trade training, and once you've earned your cap badge, you are posted to a unit. Where I work here in Ottawa, we just had a Brit army Major convert to the Canadian Forces after he decided he liked Canada after his exchange program was running out, but he is logistics by trade.

I am a Captain by rank

Tis true. My OH was attached to a reservist unit in TO prior to 9/11. She called it The Royal Regiment of Refugees. Things changed pretty quickly after 9/11.

I've been to St Jean. Mess dinner. Horrible hangover.

CanuckJock Jan 19th 2011 2:14 am

Myself, not exactly, I'm a Canuck that went in the other direction!

james.mc Jan 19th 2011 3:39 am

I was based in Canada (CFB Petawawa) with the Royal Engineers (our unit was 52 sqn airfields) for three months. Plant Operator Mechanic by trade then. Does that count? ;)

When I left Canada (in late 1970's) it didn't occur to me that I might end up emigrating to the country one day. My how life comes around :)

riosangel Jan 19th 2011 5:21 am

Originally Posted by ultrarunner (Post 9113263)

I am a Captain by rank

I would be most grateful if anyone could help me here on this thread. My husband is nearing the end of his 22 years in the RAF but we can't find any info about jobs in Canada for him or indeed if he can transfer to the Canadian forces.

Lamin Jan 19th 2011 5:38 am

I am here in Canada with the RAF.

What does your OH do?

What does he want to do?

Where do you want to live?

I may be able to help out if I can

riosangel Jan 19th 2011 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Lamin (Post 9113703)
I am here in Canada with the RAF.

What does your OH do?

What does he want to do?

Where do you want to live?

I may be able to help out if I can

Hi Lamin, he is a firefighter but would do anything (within reason ha) and not too fussed where we go either. He is a sergeant and has about 18 months left to do :)

ultrarunner Jan 19th 2011 6:40 am

Originally Posted by riosangel (Post 9113801)
Hi Lamin, he is a firefighter but would do anything (within reason ha) and not too fussed where we go either. He is a sergeant and has about 18 months left to do :)

If he plans to carry on here, once you get your citizenship then he might have to do some training

http://www.forces.ca/en/jobexplorer/browsejobs-70

airbornesapper Jan 19th 2011 10:52 am

Here we go again.....

Not everyone has to be a citizen prior to enrollment...lot's of threads on here explain....search for joining the Canadian Forces, with many a post by the likes of Joe Public who can see light at the end of the tunnel.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...earchid=369036

http://www.armee.forces.gc.ca/land-t...bilite-eng.asp

Happy to help anyone with a specific question.

Yours aye....AS

fathom Jan 19th 2011 11:11 am

Originally Posted by riosangel (Post 9113664)
I would be most grateful if anyone could help me here on this thread. My husband is nearing the end of his 22 years in the RAF but we can't find any info about jobs in Canada for him or indeed if he can transfer to the Canadian forces.

I gave up the military life the moment I had my 20 years for a pension and traded it in for a virtual Internet business on a subject area that I was really passionate about. The passion part, in my honest opinion was the catalyst that induced the success.

Now my business is my hobby and on a good month I earn 6 figures.

While it wasn't all that easy to make ends meet early on (I often felt the need to flip burgers at MacDonalds ~ although I never did) the pension sustained me during the lack time and now I have no worries as business is all pleasure.

My advice... do not limit the job search to merely traditional employee roles as anyone can be the next millionaire with the right passion & drive.

charlottyb Jan 19th 2011 2:06 pm

It is possible to join the CF, my husband did, after doing an exchange post over here with the RN.
We have PR, and managed it after a long 2 years application.
We moved back 2 years ago. He kept his rank and is in the reg force.
It is now much harder to do this and definitely helps having contacts.